Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best way to lower my car with out killing the bank. Has anyone had the tanabe springs?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Yup, got em. Whats to know? I paid about 240 shipped and installed in 4 hours. Ive notice about 5 mpg top increase at highway speeds without ac on.

Basically I get the same fuel economy with the ac on with the new springs vs the oem ones and no ac. Speed doesnt kill fuel economy like it use to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had my eyes on them. Nice to know about the added 5mgs highway! Think I might hold off till the spring when I get my wheels.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm tempted too, but I'm going to hold off a few months and get used to my car payments and save money for awhile. I also might want to wait to install the springs once there are shocks too... or save up to buy the springs/shocks from Mugen, but they're super expensive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about the Mugen springs/shocks but for the money I just dont think I can make it work. If Im going to buy some thing Mugen its going to be on some thing people can see. Mugen spoiler!

·
Registered
125 Posts
My Tanabe NF210s are sitting in the foyer...I hope to have them installed this coming Saturday. Can't wait. :D

Cobb, thanks again for your help! You ROCK! :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
If mugen is anything like trd is for toyota, they are mild in performance changes. For more, you need an aftermarket. tanabe is know or making good springs for comfort and or looks. The dfs are for looks, the nf performance.

Yeah, they are nice, Ive been driiving with no regards to fuel economy accelerating to 4 grand with no regards to the posted limits. i am about 3/4 gone on a tank of gas and the screen says 51mpg.

I cant wait til it cools some more to block the grill or partly block it. THe gen 1 guys says it makes a vast improvement on fuel economy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So besides scraping the front bottom on steep driveways, do you guys that have lowered yours had any problems elsewhere, like on speed bumps or anything? Every time I leave my condo, I have to drive over like 8 speed bumps :(

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm tempted NOT to wait and save money, lol, and just buy the NF210s because I really want a little better performance (and more mpg would be icing on the cake!). But when you say the NF210 springs would cause the shocks to go... like how soon? would there be plenty of warning, or would I be driving around in 2 months and all of a sudden my car is sitting on my tires or something awful?

And besides the shocks going bad early (how early?), would it cause any other problems or structural abnormalities???

Do you think a Honda dealer would put the Tanabe springs in for me, or will I have to use an independent mechanic??

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Congrads, hey it includes a tanabe sticker for the back of your car.

No problems with speed bumps, I believe a guy in Europe said he scrapes with the stock suspension, but sounds like they use bigger speed bumps than in the US.

The dealer cound install them or any performance shop. Give it 2 weeks, then go get an alignment as it does throw the toe off.

The only side effect than bottom out or scraping on driveways is wear out the shocks faster. The shocks are on the stiff side, so I am sure you would want to keep them when they start to wear. If anything, a good 50mph run down a dirt road would be an improvement.

Here are some photos, keep in mind I got at least 100 extra lbs in the rear for my subs, box and extra battery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm tempted NOT to wait and save money, lol, and just buy the NF210s because I really want a little better performance (and more mpg would be icing on the cake!). But when you say the NF210 springs would cause the shocks to go... like how soon? would there be plenty of warning, or would I be driving around in 2 months and all of a sudden my car is sitting on my tires or something awful?
Shocks don't really work like that. Springs are what hold the car up. When shocks go bad, they lose the ability to control the springs from bouncing uncontrollably. If you ever drive down the highway and notice another car's tire is bouncing like a basketball, or the car hits a dip and won't stop going up & down, then you know the shocks are blown. If you pull a good shock off a car, you can push the shock rod in & out with your own hands pretty easily, so a blown shock wouldn't cause your car to "sag" or anything.

And besides the shocks going bad early (how early?), would it cause any other problems or structural abnormalities???
Nobody really knows a shock's true lifespan. They can blow at any time if you make them work harder or outside the boundaries that they are designed for. You probably won't die or anything, it's just that you have to spend the money *again* to have the suspension worked on and for *another* alignment. This labor can add up unless you have the tools to do this yourself. This is why I always push people to *do it right the first time*. ;)

Do you think a Honda dealer would put the Tanabe springs in for me, or will I have to use an independent mechanic??
We can't really answer that for you. That's between you and your dealer. Some dealers will only install OEM or Honda parts. Other dealers will install anything, but charge you their crazy hourly rates. Just call around and get quotes. Expect to pay anywhere between $50-$100 per corner of car. Then the alignment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cobb love the look. I went and talked to my dealer and they said they could put the springs on. But if its not mugen it will void the warranty. Did you put your springs on your self or have the dealer do it?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
There is a statue that they have to prove the springs cause a failure as to why a part is not warranty covered. They can not blanketly cover an item as if its abused, that too voids the warranty. I can see blaming a cold air intake for early engine failure, likewise if you dumped the oil, then drove til it sezed.

If it comes to that just file with your local clerks office for your county in small claims court for the price of the est repair if it comes to that and see what they say.

I did mines myself, like I do my other cars. Its just like the fit diy, but you need spring compressors.

My issue, I heard a knocking and thought I screwed up a cvc joint. They said I forgot to tighten a steering knucle strut bolt. They checked the other side for 25 bucks, then did an alignment a week later for 79 bucks. No mention I voided the warranty or I had to pound sand.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New here but Cobb you said that the Tanabe springs gave you a 5mpg increase. Which model did you go with the NF210 or the DF210? Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I installed the Tanabe DF210s about six months ago. They have yielded about 3-5 mpg for sure. Also, the car handles better on the highway after lowering spring installation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts