Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the blackout two years ago I hooked up my 12v inverter to my (non-Insight) car and provided emergency power to a store to keep a couple of lights and their phone system running. I fired up the motor for a bit every half hour to keep things charged up. (and had an emergency small jumper battery just in case the main one died ahead of time)

Given the disaster in the South, and now that I've got an Insight I was wondering if anyone's found a way to do a similar tap off the 144V pack? (I can't find any 144V inverters...)

Alternatively, will the DC/DC converter keep the 12V side live?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
You possibly could, but:

1) There really isn't that much power stored in the batteries.
2) You'll run the risk of frying several thousand dollars in equipment.

My suggestion: Buy a nice UPS, or a couple deep cell batteries and a 12v inverter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insight as emergency power...

The battery pack has almost a kw-hr in it (obviously less available.. let's call it a half kw-hr), which when combined with periodic turn-ons for charging, should, in theory, be useful for a reasonable amount of time.

Again, this isn't for a pre-planned stationary setup but rather something to be used as an ad hoc backup/emergency... The example I mentioned earlier, where I hooked up an inverter to my 12V minivan and ran the engine every half hour to recharge it is a good example.

(and yes, I know the standard 12V inverters are square wave...)

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
back up

the insights dc to dc will keep the small 12 volt toped off as long as the car is on.... thankfully the auto - stop idle will kick in so you don't have to waste extra gass and in my experience a 600 watt inverter from the insight's 12 volt lead acid is fine... the car while on and in auto stop idle will monitor the NiMH Battery pack and if it drops too low will in my experience kick out of auto stop idle on it's own to do a forced charge of the NiMH until it is happier with it's state of charge before going back to auto stop idle... as said above the NiMH has a bit more than 1/2 a Kwh or about 500 Watt hours of usable energy so it won't last real long at all before a forced charge occures...

just my 2 bits...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You could run many appliances directly off the 144V DC pack. You would need to remove the pack from the car, and make sure your appliances don't use input transformers or switching supplies. For example, incandescent lights will run fine with some drop in lifespan due to the over voltage. Same with brushed motors (just don't use their on/off switch on DC), some switching supplies, etc. The problem is that if you connect to an appliance that can't handle DC (for example, anything with a transformer) you would get a spectacular failure...

Not really worth it when computer UPSs are so cheap, and 12V replacement batteries cost very little.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Here's another idea along these line. Let's say you want to run a passenger compartment cooling fan off the 12 volt battery. If it runs down the battery all the way then the car could still start using the IMA system--but this doesn't work because a dead 12 volt battery makes the whole system inoperable.

So the risk is in running down the 12 volt battery. This is exactly the same problem that boat owners have running their TVs and microwaves off the batteries that start their engines. Also, 4WD trucks with electric winches.

Solution: A dual battery system. One very small 12 volt battery is used as a reserve to keep the IMA alive. The engine starts on the 144 volt battery. The other 12 volt battery is the one you run down. Something like this:
http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.htm
(Not an endorsement, just an example.)

The risk you would take is that if the large 12 volt battery runs completely down, and then the IMA system can't start the car, you're stuck. But that shouldn't happen very often. What you gain is the full use of the large 12 volt battery for accessories with the engine off.

·
Registered
489 Posts
An inverter run from the 12volt of the car should be fine. If the car is in auto-stop, the 144volt will supply power to the 12volt circuit, and restart itself as necessary to keep that battery topped up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts