Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many Insight owners I have been interested in the new 3rd generation Insight, but I have not been able to find much technical detail on the car. I just discovered a link to the press kit which has an extensive technical discussion of how the car works - at the top level at least. Here is the link:

2019 Honda Insight Press Kit - Honda News

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice find. Putting the DC-DC in the engine bay is interesting as a space-savings measure. What I like is that the hybrid battery doesn't seem to compromise storage space.

60 cells in the battery is interesting. I want to say the 2014+ Accord Hybrid uses 72, but when you're making ~130HP in a more aerodynamic car instead of ~200HP in a less aerodynamic one, downsizing a bit makes sense.

·
3,641 Posts
Interesting. 13.5:1 compression ratio. Only 2% aluminum in body/structure. For some reason the Touring model gets approximately 10% less miles per gallon. The larger heavier wheels must take a toll, because this model is only 100 lbs or so heavier than the LX/EX.

Also, where is Honda getting their MPG figures for the 1st Gen? “Power came from a 3-cylinder, 67-hp engine with Honda's proprietary crankshaft-mounted Integrated Motor Assist (IMA), helping the 2-passenger, 3-door hatchback achieve an EPA-estimated 53/47 city/highway fuel economy rating. ”

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Only 2% aluminum in body/structure. For some reason the Touring model gets approximately 10% less miles per gallon. The larger heavier wheels must take a toll, because this model is only 100 lbs or so heavier than the LX/EX.
A thread I made on this exact topic (wheel size vs mpg on a modern hybrid) at ecomodder:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/kia-niro-shows-importance-wheels-fe-36161.html

Upshot: 13% (!) fuel economy loss going from 16->18" wheels.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That press release is so long it will take a while to let it all sink in.
But
If I'm reading it right the car has a total of ~300 Hp if the gas and IMA engine/motors all kick in at the same time!

13.5:1 compression ratio and it runs on regular [87] gas.

Honda Engineering strikes again!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If I'm reading it right the car has a total of ~300 Hp if the gas and IMA engine/motors all kick in at the same time!
151 hp is the max output. 197 lbft of torque.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Minimal and confusing labeling and information is all I can find on the Honda two motor drive system. explination, links, pictures

1. they call it a CVT but they shouldnt, cuz people are afraid of CVT failures.it is an electrical transmission or the combustion motor is connected to the wheels in overdrive highway speeds.

2. if you add one overdrive gear that also connects to the wheels between the ICE and the two IMAs of old with individual clutches that is sort of what it is.

3. At least one of the motor/generators is 700 volts stepped up from batterys, and copper appears wound in some kind of 3 phase overlap, they say no heavy earth magnets. It could be a 'reluctance' or induction motor which magnitizes the rotor from the windings as needed, ie no permanent magnets which they did not clearly say so dunno, I cant tell from inadequate pictures.

Honda?s 2014 Accord Hybrid Drivetrain Topology Breakout | CleanMPG

https://electricrevs.com/2018/03/26/do-honda-2-motor-hybrids-clutch-in-the-engine-during-heavy-acceleration/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. they call it a CVT but they shouldnt, cuz people are afraid of CVT failures.it is an electrical transmission or the combustion motor is connected to the wheels in overdrive highway speeds.
Yeah, for sure they should have lost the CVT terms. Nice pictures. Will study more when time is available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts