Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The silver Insight (2000, 38K, MT) dropped MPGs noticably after it was refueled at the "Everyday Gas" station. When we took it in for 30K maintenance last Saturday, Honda said that bad gas was the likely culprit. Along w/ the regular maintenance work, Honda also added 3-M Fuel System Cleaner and the car seems to run better now.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Would it be a good idea to add a dose of Techron concentrate fuel system cleaner to the next tank or better to wait?

2. I bought a bottle of Techron at Autozone but have not used it. After getting it home I noticed it says "for sport utility vehicles and light-duty trucks"...treats up to 20 gallons. Is this the wrong stuff for the Insight, too concentrated, or is it just an extra large container with enough fuel system cleaner for 20-gallon SUV tanks?

Thanks very much for clearing up my confusion. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
sputnik said:
The silver Insight (2000, 38K, MT) dropped MPGs noticably after it was refueled at the "Everyday Gas" station. When we took it in for 30K maintenance last Saturday, Honda said that bad gas was the likely culprit. Along w/ the regular maintenance work, Honda also added 3-M Fuel System Cleaner and the car seems to run better now.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Would it be a good idea to add a dose of Techron concentrate fuel system cleaner to the next tank or better to wait?

2. I bought a bottle of Techron at Autozone but have not used it. After getting it home I noticed it says "for sport utility vehicles and light-duty trucks"...treats up to 20 gallons. Is this the wrong stuff for the Insight, too concentrated, or is it just an extra large container with enough fuel system cleaner for 20-gallon SUV tanks?

Thanks very much for clearing up my confusion. :)
Kathleen,

1. I would drive at least 1,000 miles before adding another additive. Techron indicates you don't need to use it more often than that, although I suppose you could.

2. I just looked at a bottle of Techron here. It's 16 ounces - treats 16 gallons. Sounds like what you have is either a larger bottle or more concentrated. I use Techron in the truck, Insight, and the motorcycle - I just vary the amount I put in the tank.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If your problem was "bad gas", Techron won't fix things. Techron just cleans gunk off your valves. But it's still a good idea every 3,000 miles or so. Or better yet just use Chevron gas, as all their grades have Techron in it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice, thanks all. Since Honda used 3-M fuel system cleaner I plan to wait 1000 miles before adding Techron. Also, I will probably return the giant-size bottle of Techron and look for the regular Techron 16 oz bottle which Jim described. I just cannot tell whether this "SUV-Light Truck" duty version from AutoZone is overly concentrated or not, but don't want to risk it.

Besides, with the 30K servicing and now a fresh tank of Chevron, my husband reports he got over 70MPG going to work this morning! Hey, maybe I should be putting the Techron in my Insight! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts