Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:idea: I think more people need to hear about (and invistigate) the ev1.org vigil! Everyone should go out and buy some window paint (shoe polish) and write EV1.ORG on their car or business windows, perhaps with a nice personal comment! Mine is going to be "What! No Gas?". It's hard to not cover a story that has just popped up out of nowhere all over the world!

Even if you yourself don't want or think BEV's are the way to go it's tough to justify the destruction of existing vehicles with plenty of willing buyers. So why not help spread the word that these vehicles which don't use gas exist and are about to be euthanized. It's time to say more with your Hybrid than you're already implying. Change Happens Now!

L8r
Ryan

ps. Don't worry, the paint will wash off. :)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I am just looking at the ev1.org site...

I have solar panels and have just about a zero electric bill. They should last about another 25 years, so that is saving me a huge amount of money. The system has just about paid for itself now and the rest is free energy forever.

It would certainly be neat to have a car powered the same way.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I'll send you a PM, as I don't want to turn the Insight forum into a PV forum.

The point is that having a way to capture solar energy and use it later for transportation energy is a good thing.

We need a better way to store the energy than current batteries, and then we'll be peachy. Imagine a hybrid where you can charge it from solar energy and the energy storage device (maybe a battery, maybe some other kind of fuel cell) is good enough to store all the energy you can get for all those hills you go down...

There are lots of hills I where my batteries are charged long before I reach the bottom, because our batteries can hold so little energy. Because of that even charging the batteries from an energy source like solar does little because the batteries hold so little energy relative to that in gasoline.

That seems to be the biggest problem still with 100% EV. The range is very small. With the Insight a tiny 10 gallon tank can take you easily 600 miles even if you drive fast and it is cold weather, and reasonably 800 miles or a lot more if you are careful and conditions are favorable. If someone had an EV that got 800 miles in real world driving, I bet that there would a lot more of them out there.

I suppose that the Insight could perhaps be retrofitted with new battery technology if it were to come out, or maybe it would be more cost effective to recycle the entire car and start with a new one...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why was my post deleted????

Thse people knew this day was coming, so why get all upset once it happened? You agreed to the terms of your EV Lease, so why protest it now?

And like i Said, I wish Honda would do this with my insight, take the peice of crap back and crush it. Im sorry but thats the truth, this thing is off the road more then its on the road.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
And like i Said, I wish Honda would do this with my insight, take the peice of crap back and crush it. Im sorry but thats the truth, this thing is off the road more then its on the road.

Then just sell it and buy something else!

I have had problems with my Insight but not so much that I would get rid of it. But none of my issues were with the technology. Mine were just things that happen will all cars and were covered under warranty.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Getshocked.ca:

___After considering Resist’s post, I looked at your profile --> previous posts which brings about an interesting list of topics … blown clutch, busted engine mount, wanting in on a turbo mod buy, plastic covering for the passenger side window post, I drive my insight hard, and i play my 1300 watt stereo Loud …

___The Insight isn’t a race car and I have to wonder what did you do to the poor thing?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:clxpvuny][email protected][/email:clxpvuny]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I seem to recall some posts about that poor little car ramming snowdrifts at 80 km per hour and another day driving for for almost an hour through foot deep snow.

I think the fact that the wee car still runs at all is a miracle!

All praise the miracle of the Insight! Hail! Hail! Hail!

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I put 100,000 kms on my toyoto tercel (1991) I drove it harder then my insight and when i sold it it was A1 condition.

I have this car in ever 4000km for my Amsoil 5w20 change, ALL fluids are chaged every 50,000 (regardless if it needs it or not) engine flushs etc, This car is taken car of

And if you read my Post it is mainly waiting for parts, which my Stereo, and a sticky window have nothing to do with.

And about the snowdrifts, Im sorry but if the car cant withstand the local conditions then it shouldnt be sold here, it shouldnt be marketed as an all seasons car

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
This is getting totally off topic...

It's your fault for saying snowplow...

Here is the story. Yesterday I thought it would be fun to go South via the mountains instead of the highways, which turned out to really pretty with rain and fog and mist and downed trees and mudslides.

Anyway, I just want to post three episodes that proved how great the Insight is because she is so small.

1) SNOWPLOW

Up there in the mountains when it rains they use snowplows to move the mud off the roads just like snow. At the exact instant I was entering a 'narrow bridge' (which really was narrow) a huge plow and the attached massive orange truck came zooming onto the other end of the bridge. I was saved because the Insight is so tiny that we both fit. I would have liked the guy to slow down, but such is life.

2) TREES DOWN

Half way on my journey there was a tree down in the road, but the tiny Insight nimbly slipped by being so tiny and nimble.

3) LAKES IN THE ROAD

Rather than using the ramming approach which is popular to certain folks who see nature presenting obstacles in the roadway, i chose to use the avoidance method when I encountered deep lakes nearly covering the entire roadway. Once again, the tiny narrow Insight saved me.

4) WEE ROAD

Finally, when I got lost and the road turned into a single lane track made by brave mountain goats, I could continue to progress because of the wee nature of the car which was so well suited to the diminutive roadway presented to it.

The moral is, don't drive in the mountains when it has been raining a lot unless you are driving an Insight.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
And about the snowdrifts, Im sorry but if the car cant withstand the local conditions then it shouldnt be sold here, it shouldnt be marketed as an all seasons car
And we are sorry you live in snow country and yet bought an Insight over an SUV or 4 wheel drive truck. At some point common sense has to take over.

I also own a sports car and have enough sense to know it won't drive very well in snow....so I don't.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Are you implying by inference or transitivity or one of those transcendental relationship concepts that I should not have taken Edwin through the snowplow gauntlet and into the realm of the broken tree? I did manage to avoid all the obstacles by deft maneuvering. Perhaps my idea to convert the Insight into a cargo van is a little like driving her in the snowdrifts. On the other hand, we are all a little crazy sometimes. I like my idea for using the turbo to power an air conditioner for when I am hauling hogs to market in the passenger seat area wallow I am researching.

I had better log off for the evening before I veer off topic on every thread in the entire forum.

p.s. Does anyone know a good tub for 50 gallons of mud that would fit inside the Insight to accomodate my hogs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.