Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now the proud owner of a 07 Hybrid Civic and I'm wondering how hot anyone else's temp gauge is during normal operations. My temp gauge is hovering around half each time I've driven it which isn't many at this point but it seems a bit hot to me. No car I've ever owned has been at half during normal driving. My 2000 Insight is almost always at 1/4 or slightly above. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'd appreciate hearing your experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dougie, I'll count the bars and see where its at. Playing the MPG game with the Civic is quite different from the 5 Speed Insight. Much less control then I'm used to. It seems that keeping it at 50 MPG will be a challenge but so far that's about where I'm at.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A few ticks under half is normal, it should never go higher than that. The Insight is 6 bars, the civic is probably something like 10, I've never counted them, but just under the half mark is normal.

If you haven't already figured it out the button left of the steering wheel by the trip button toggles the temp gauge to the instantaneous mpg gauge, which you will probably find more useful for getting max mpg with. Unless something catastrophic happens I doubt you'll have any problems with overheating, and if it does get hot enough to cause a problem there will be other warning lights. Still, I do find myself clicking back to the temp gauge from time to time just to be safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Rick. Looks like its running normal then. I have toggled through the different options. I do miss the horizontal display on the insight. I found that very useful to knowing how your mpg efforts were working instantly. If you have any other useful tip please pass them along. Thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
All cars have temperature gauges that are "dumbed down" for typical drivers.
This applies to almost all analogue and digital temperature gauges on passenger vehicles.
Even if the temp gauge can display up to 12 bars for example the computer logic only displays 4 or 5 distinct temperature ranges.

In the Insight (and most other cars) the temperature guage displays only 3 distinct temperatures when driven in winter or in summer and temperatures are within the normal design parameters.
Cold (2 bars) *** updated after looking more closely***
slightly warm (4 bars) (about 1/4 in most cars)
Normal (6 bars) (about in the middle for most cars).

The tempature gauge will stay in the middle as long as the temperature is within the huge range of temperatures that is considered normal and safe for operating the engine.
If the temperature gauge was more specific people would worry and complain to their mechanic that the temperature climbs when mearging on the highway and climbing mountains, decreases when driving down mountains. Drops when idling at a traffic light in winter, climbs when idling at a traffic light in summer with the A/C on....

I'm sure you get the idea, as long as the temperature stays in the middle we can relax knowing that the temperature is normal and safe even on the hottest summer days. If the temparature is higher then that, something is wrong and engine damage may occur. If the temperature guage stays below the middle in the winter after driving for more then 10 or 15 minutes then something is wrong and the root cause should be determined and corrected. For example when driving on the highway at temperatures approaching -20 F (-30 C) with the cabin heater on high; adding a rad cover may be required to ensure the engine can stay in the normal operating temperature so the engine oil and engine components are able work properly and minimize engine wear, fuel consumption and pollution.

Some people who do modifications that may effect engine temperature want to compare what the modifition does to their engine temperatures (such as adding a rad block in the winter). Purchasing a device such as the Scan Guage II and connecting it to the OBDII diagonistic terminal will give a precise and instantaneou temperature output. They like watching if and how much the temperature changes in a repeatable driving cycle with and without a modification.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Updated post above after looking at my car more closely today:
When the Insight engine is first turned on (summer or winter), the temperature gauge shows 2 bars (not 1).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts