Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the first cold snap, I see. Mpg drop from 5 l/100 km to almost 6 l/100 km.
Will it make sense to cover the radiator to improve warming up?

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Yep, cold weather hit. Keeping heat in the engine bay is helpful.

I'm a G1 guy and I don't know how helpful grill blocking may be for a G2.

Be careful with "full" grill blocks. If the G2 in-car temp indicator is like the G1, it is very general on actual temp and slow to respond. Easy to overheat the engine. The G1 folks establish the means to read the coolant temp directly with an obd or similar device.

Here's a link to a G1 thread on grill blocking. Long thread,but many many good ideas. Some of my very crude stuff for my red cvt is at pages 25, 27 & 28.

I've had success at regaining some of the lost mpg, but I've never regained it all, (not until warm weather returns).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have experimented with grill blocks and removing the snorkel on the air intake on my G2 Insight.
Combined, it has to be said, with a digital in/outthermometer feeler in the intake (at first) and a readout from the intake temp on my UltraGauge (when I got that).

FWIW, blocking the lower grill is beneficial. It helps air intake temperature slightly without it getting out of hand, even in warm weather.There is enough free air through the upper grill to stay safe (but do monitor the intake temp!)

Blocking the top grill alone seems to have little effect. The bottom grill is just too big. The snorkel makes the intake draw air from over the radiator which generally came from the top grill, but with that blocked cold air just flows up from the lower grill.

Blocking both grills works fine in most conditions. The temperature raise is significant; as is the gain in efficiency, up to where it surpasses 30 degrees Celsius (92 F); from there on it stays level to over 50 C/122 F, where it gets detrimental.
Also, blocking the grills means the engine retains its heat longer when parked; distinctly noticeable to over 4 hours. The downside is that the 12V battery may be subjected to temperatures above 40 Celsius, and they don't like that.

Then I tried driving without the snorkel (which draws air from above the radiator) as a simple warm-air intake hack.
The intake then draws air from the radiator.
Without a grill block this does little, as only the top of the radiator gets hot.
With a grill block less air flows through the radiator, so more of it gets hot; also the part where from the air finds the intake, so that the AI temperature will quite suddenly rise.
Removing the snorkel therefore is not a very good idea. It only raises the intake temp when that is no longer necessary...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Front use of foam polyethylene and fabric with cardboard.
The engine is covered with felt. The battery 12B is wrapped in foamed polyethylene with a layer of foil with ventilation for heating.
Normal start without starter at -15C. The engine warms up 5 minutes, the salon - 5 minutes. The start-stop is triggered even at a temperature of -18 ° C.

In Siberia it is necessary to warm the car well.:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's not Siberia here and "cold" is relative. We rarely experience freezing double-digit cold. But I can see a sharp increase in fuel consumption as soon as the temperature drops below 5 to 6 degrees centigrade. Above that threshold, I easily get 20+ km/l on the display, below that I am happy to get to 17 km/l. Or 5 l/100 km to 6 l/100 km respectively. I do not think, I need to completely wrap the engine, but I guess a bit of Coroplast cut to size will help maintaining good fuel economy...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Don’t forget that tire pressures drop with the cold as well.
Sorry i’m In Southern California and it will be 76 today and in the 80s tomorrow. (24-30c)

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
Also remember that in cold weather the cold enrichment will stay on for a longer time. On a short trip the engine will never come up to operating temperature. If your area gets "winter gas" this will also reduce winter MPG.

Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The engine is covered with felt. The battery 12B is wrapped in foamed polyethylene with a layer of foil with ventilation for heating.
Normal start without starter at -15C. The engine warms up 5 minutes, the salon - 5 minutes. The start-stop is triggered even at a temperature of -18 ° C.

In Siberia it is necessary to warm the car well.:D
I like that fabric lower block!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No winter gas here. Our met office issues "severe frost" warnings for -2°
-2° Centigrade, not Fahrenheit, that is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've been doing the same thing I listed in the Grill Blocking thread the last 8 years, it does improve mileage a bit. No point in blocking it all off there is really not much noticeable difference blocking the top off from my tests.

I did modify this setup to use a pool noodle with slice down long end to make a tighter fit and it improved the mileage a little bit more. Just watch your temps and remove the longer bar block in the summers / spring.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/16008-grill-blocks.html#post154299

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts

In Siberia it is necessary to warm the car well.
Doesn't it get like - 30°C in Siberia? I have heard stories of people not shutting their cars off when they go into the store because it's so cold, the car will cool too rapidly and could crack engine components.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,448 Posts
Be careful with "full" grill blocks. If the G2 in-car temp indicator is like the G1, it is very general on actual temp and slow to respond. Easy to overheat the engine. The G1 folks establish the means to read the coolant temp directly with an obd or similar device.
The G2 doesn't even have an engine temperature gauge. It simply has a cold light and an overheating warning light. My ScanGauge II has °C Water Temp on display, stock thermostat seems to run between 80°C and 85°C, so a little lower than the G1 Insight. Rad fan kicks in at 86°C usually. Right now I have a coroplast partial radiator block in there because it takes forever to warm up.

This fits right in front of the radiator. Measurements are in inches, hard to see but it's 26 inches wide. Ignore the duct tape on the left. The top tab lines up with the radiator cap as shown here:

I live in Georgia, our winters are more mild than most of the rest of the country. If you live further north than me you could probably make a more aggressive block and do ok. I guess the main thing you want to avoid is having the radiator fan run. If the rad fan turns on you're wasting any benefit a partial radiator block might convey.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The radiator valve seems to have 2 settings, as the coolant temp warms up to about 81 C then stabilizes.
But if you block enough of the grill it will rise to 91 C, where it again stabilizes as the valve then opens completely.
Block even more, then at 94 C or so the fans kick in.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Natalya, thanks for the very detailed pic of your radiator block. I'm curious why you made the triangle shaped cutout?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Natalya, thanks for the very detailed pic of your radiator block. I'm curious why you made the triangle shaped cutout?
Water flow through the radiator is vertical. I'd guess the cutout is to prevent any vertical stripe of the radiator from being completely blocked. Probably to reduce thermal stress from differential heating/cooling.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Russian Winter Kartonka

Russian Winter Kartonka :D
Doesn't it get like - 30°C in Siberia? I have heard stories of people not shutting their cars off when they go into the store because it's so cold, the car will cool too rapidly and could crack engine components.
In some areas it can be up to -50 ° C. Therefore, the engine is not switched off there to prevent it from freezing. Otherwise, you have to warm the heat gun.
Last winter, in Surgut, the owner of Citroën 1.2L went for a week two times to refuel and once to the store, because the car costs an auto-switch on the temperature -20C.;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here where I am in Canada, we had a few days at -30 C before wind chill for most winters, I never had an issue starting the Insight, although I do remember those days were especially hard in the sense it did a few additional cracks before the car started. I'm pretty sure it was running off the 12 volt battery to do that, the center display was also so cold it didn't turn on for a good 10 or 20 seconds, and even then forget the nice graphics of the lines flowing, for the first 5 - 10 minutes of the trip.

I loved that video, that's where coroplast boards and a good street artist could make a pretty wicked design.

Russian Winter Kartonka :D
In some areas it can be up to -50 ° C. Therefore, the engine is not switched off there to prevent it from freezing. Otherwise, you have to warm the heat gun.
Last winter, in Surgut, the owner of Citroën 1.2L went for a week two times to refuel and once to the store, because the car costs an auto-switch on the temperature -20C.;)

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Russian Winter Kartonka

Last winter, in Surgut, the owner of Citroën 1.2L went for a week two times to refuel and once to the store, because the car costs an auto-switch on the temperature -20C.
That's crazy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
...few additional cracks before the car started. I'm pretty sure it was running off the 12 volt battery to do that...
At temperatures below -20C, the car starts from a starter and a 12V battery.
Some owners do not even know about it!!! and even that the plastic holder breaks in the starter and once in the frost the car will not start. :cool:
At other times the machine is started from a high-voltage battery.
.. the center display was also so cold it didn't turn on for a good 10 or 20 seconds, and even then forget the nice graphics of the lines flowing, for the first 5 - 10 minutes of the trip.
The liquid crystal display at very low temperatures is displayed veeeeeery slooooowly.:)
Use subtitling on video.:)
Insight start at -23C and -26C
Prius start at -50C

1 - 20 of 25 Posts