Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a number of things that change with the temperature. In econ mode we know that the autostop doesn't work below 35 or so. What else changes behavior at colder temps?

After driving all winter it appears that the car burns off charge into the rear window defroster in order to warm the battery. Does anyone have any more detailed info on that? I usually turn the climate control off when approaching a stop so the autostop will work even below 0f. I know others have relocated the outside air temp sensor to a warmer part of the engine compartment to trick the computer. If I relocate the outside temp sensor does anyone know if the computers won't try to warm the battery? On many days this winter the rear defroster runs the whole 40 mile commute to work.

What else does the car do at colder (or hotter) temps?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If you switch off the rear-window defroster after it's lit it should stay off. If dash button's not touched and temps cold enough it's automatic and button light is unlit, so, switch On then Off and it stays off for the trip. nb. Cdn car, maybe different?
Manually actuated via button it goes off after about 20 min. iirc.
re: AutoStop, and moving the Outside Air Sensor [OAT]: it could likely affect the air mixing flaps positions 'somewhat' in the heater box-A/C unit. Possibly the heater may just need cranked up a bit in midrange.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The gen 2 spins up the blower for the IMA system I guess to hopefully suck heated cabin air through the system to warm things up.

Also colder weather reduces the 12 volt starter battery under the hood and you will see the ELD on more supplementing the electrical system til the stuff under the hood warms up.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that once I tried turning the rear defroster on and then off and recall that it still heated the rear window. I will need to try this again.

As far as the battery temp goes, the car is garaged. With an outside air temp around 0f my garage is around 40f, and one mile down the road it seems like the rear defroster is running, and I can't believe that the battery is actually any colder than 40f at that time. Anyone know what temperatures the battery needs to be at in order not to have it run the rear defroster just to heat it up? I would think that using the battery for the 40 mile drive to work, accelerating then regen, over and over would warm the battery enough. Any chance it looks at the air temp inside the car? That is typically around 40 to 50f for my drive. I turn it on full hot for a little while, then turn it off.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I always thought it used the inside temp to determine if the defrost would be auto or not. You might be right on tipping edge of being auto with keeping the car around the 40* mark (not sure, just a theory). Perhaps you could hook up a test light to the contacts on the glass, start the car, turn on heat and with a temp gauge with you wait till test light goes off-then note the temps the car is at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I know, some batteries in market could perform in low-temperature environment, even around -40℃. But I wanna discuss their charging tech, cuz these battery can charging at -20℃, but battery cannot charge below freezing point, so the reason might be:
1. The battery can self-heating the plug-in till the appropriate charging temperature
2. The battery may equiped the BMS, and the BMS involved "Self-Heating Technology for Low Temperature" technique.
That battery that what I said can perform in -40℃ environment, but it seems used the second technique.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts