Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Congratulations! Looking tidy (the car) ;)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I found the comments interesting, especially the one about 18-wheelers suddenly stopping :)

I've got a kind of rule of thumb about it myself. I just look at how close the typical 18-wheeler is to the vehicle in front, given moderately heavy traffic, then I figure it's my business to be able to avoid hitting his rear end.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Way to go! It was great to see an Insight on the front page. So often it seems like Prius get all the attention.

Hey are you coming up and competing in the Hybridfest MPG Challenge in July? Then your paper could do a follow up story. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, can't make it to Hybridfest, although I really wish I could! I've been sick too much this year and don't have any time off from work. And that's a long drive from Nashville! :)

The comments on the story really are interesting. What's funny is that people talk about how instead of buying hybrids we should be focusing on less consumption... Umm, I thought that's what I'm doing... I use at least 1/3 less gas now than I did before in my truck, and I changed all of my bulbs in my home to CFL's, I walk when I can, I recycle everything that my county will take, I keep my heat set on 68 and air set on 76. What more do they want?

:x

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, that is pretty cool that you made the newspaper. Question though, it states in the caption that "she maximizes by driving slowly and not using heat or air". I'm not clear on how not using heat helps gas economy. Please help me to understand how since I haven't heard of that till now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Typically it takes 30 tons of semi-trailer much longer to stop than less than one ton of Honda Insight. Don't be stupid and you won't rear end the truck. Besides, a trailer has two sweet spots. One right behind and one a much safer distance away. I like the "if you can't see his windows, he can't see you"... oh, so that way he won't know I'm drafting him and he won't get upset then... gotcha. :lol:

I ponder the heat and air conditioner thing as well. I've never noticed a significant drop in mileage using either... as long as I stay at the 2nd setting.

Also, the article opening about the "perilously close" to tracker trailers... that doesn't sound like what drafting entails.

Congrats on getting the Insight on page one though.
:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I really don't drive "perilously close" to them. I told her you can stay about 2 seconds away and it's ok. I also said that when you're drafting, you're focused - no eating, talking on the phone, etc.

The other day I had on a really nice dress and it was incredibly hot and I didn't want to get sweaty, so I HAD to turn on my a/c. My battery immediately started dropping. It did a recal and took about a day to recover once I turned off the a/c. My gas mileage on that tank also took a nosedive. There is a good description of why using the heat uses more gas in the comments under the article. Whoever it explained it did a good job.

I also think my battery is on its last leg. It's doing frequent recals now and it takes much longer to recover. No IMA light yet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
"I really don't drive "perilously close" to them ... when you're drafting, you're focused - no eating, talking on the phone, etc. "
The risk of severe injury is just NOT worth it, not if you honestly stop to consider the increased probabilities of vehicle damage - YOURS - let alone the medical damage, again - YOURS.

If you rear-end one of those trailers you will probably scrape some of the paint off of his undersides and if you're lucky, you'll die quickly - and if you're not, you might linger on for decades , perhaps doing good enough to drive a wheel chair. The rehab wards across the country have more than just a few former youthful drivers who were reckless when out on the highway, people who would never again, if they could, take such insane risks. Girl, it's just not worth it! Think about it!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
From my read what's often interchanged with drafting is "surfing".

To safely surf at highway speed maintain the 3 second rule (sufficient stopping distance) and you'll need an 18 wheeler with a big box trailer. Stay in the truck's wake. You can feel the buffeting and see the MPG increase on the gauge. But from my few highway forays they don't like being followed like this anymore than being "drafted".

p.s. Congrats Andrea :!: Great Insight ambassadorship :D

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I have been "guilty" of drafting myself, but here are more reasons why it is a bad idea:

Stones picked up by the treads on those big tires are damaging. Replacing a windshield or repainting the body costs way more than any gas savings.

Diesel exhaust is carcinogenic so why take chances with your health?

Fixating on the dirty backside of a truck makes for a really dismal drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
apierpoint said:
Here is a link to an article that was in today's Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /706050330

I was amazed that I actually made the FRONT page! :D

Andrea :)
Hi Andrea - They must have moved the article - now I hit the link today - and get an interesting "Error: Invalid Story Key" message!

That's what I love about acrobat (the full versions) - with it - you can simply print the article to a pdf file (and there are free tools to do this too!) and you have it in posterity!! Then - you could post it or link to it!

Robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts