1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I think it's good stuff :D

For those who don't want the project/journey of a DIY .. They can buy a ready made with nice fit and finish BEV .. improved price point .. while still keeping range and acceleration up above what might be 'needed' .. but the acceleration helps remove old stereotypes about the weak BEVs .. and the over 200+ mile range takes a serious bite out of the old Range anxiety issue .. That's all normal driving , and even up to a ~3 hour road trip before needing to charge.

There is another indirect nice tag a long about this .. It moves the bar for other OEMs who wish to try and compete in this niche , but growing, market segment .. any improvements those other OEMs make to try and stay competitive , will ultimately benefit the consumer .. doesn't matter if it's a lower spec low cost option .. or trying to compete on similar or greater specs .. any of those variations only widen what is available for / to consumers.

And if the other OEMs don't step up their game to try and stay competitive .. while that looses the 'widen of the market' ... that also removes the risk of 'big boys' trying to crush the BEV again .. as it only solidifies Tesla's market share of this growing niche market .. keeping them as a company rock solid .. and establishing them in the consumer consciousness as 'THE' BEV OEM company.

- - - - - - -

All that having been said ...

I myself do like the project / journey more than the destination .. I'll stick with my turtle pace of slowing tinkering with projects and improving my Gen1 Insight. :D

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tesla email:

"Thank you for helping us make history and introduce Model 3 to the world.

In the first 24 hours Model 3 received over 180,000 reservations, setting the record for the highest single-day sales of any product of any kind ever in world history.

More importantly, we took a huge step towards building a better future by accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation.

Like every Tesla, Model 3 is engineered to combine range, performance, utility and designed to be the safest car in its class. It accelerates from zero to 60 mph in less than six seconds, and can travel 215 miles on a single charge. Starting at $35,000, Model 3 comes standard with Autopilot hardware and Supercharging capability."

Wow! Ten times more Teslas sold in an HOUR than Insights sold from '99-'08!!! I think that is great news. People ARE ready for electric cars when it makes sense for them. Reliability of Tesla and a sexy design helps too I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Why do they bother to continue to put faux radiator flat front ends on these vehicles? Is the buying public really that inflexible to not accept a better aero design?

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking car but why not take it to the limit?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Why do they bother to continue to put faux radiator flat front ends on these vehicles? Is the buying public really that inflexible to not accept a better aero design?

They still need some air flow for the A/C evaporator, right? Also, they could still be water cooling some of the electric drive components. Don't know if they are, kinda depends on the design.

Edit: still needs rear wheel covers

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You are right Johnny. They do have Same A/c components except electric powered. And my smart ED has liquid cooling temp control for the Lithium Ion batteries. (I'm thinking same on Tesla Model III )
Cool reveal video: http://youtu.be/NcWE5W3bLXU

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From 50K to 500K in two years!!!!

Tesla CEO Elon Musk wants to go from building 50,000 cars per year to building 500,000 per year by 2018!!!

"Musk will evidently take personal responsibility for upping Tesla's production pace. He said that he has desk at the end of a production line at Tesla's factory in Fremont, CA, and that he also keeps a sleeping bag there."

Full article here: Elon Musk just made a totally mind-blowing change to Tesla's strategy

·
Registered
63 Posts

It is because of Pedestrian crash regulations. Cars now are more aerodynamic across the board than they've ever been, but most cars have the flat "bullnose" front ends because they aren't supposed to impale pedestrians anymore. The engineers behind the Model 3 are targeting a drag coefficient of .21, so it will be plenty slippery. Source

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Tesla CEO Elon Musk wants to go from building 50,000 cars per year to building 500,000 per year by 2018!!!
~451,808 reservations already probably has allot to do with that .. strike while their hot .. take advantage of their market momentum ... larger economies of scale .. etc.

But .. I don't think they will actually hit 500k per year by 2018 .. that's just too big of a step too fast .. more than 50k sure ... 500k per year eventually if market demand is maintained .. sure ... but not 500k by 2018.

My bet would be ~125k per year by 2018 is about the reasonable upper end limit to expect .. if market demand is maintained maybe ~250k by 2020 .. only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Recent news article indicated Musk said that "It is impossible" to start production of the 3 in June.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
I'm in line, around the 117k mark I think. Just have to figure out how to pay for one by the time my turn comes up hahah

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
There are many different types of vehicles on the road because people prefer different styles. I haven't owned a 4-door sedan since I was in high school because I find other form factors more desirable for my needs. So I didn't pre-order a Model 3 even though I support what Tesla is doing to promote EV adoption.

I also cringe at the thought of driving a 4,000+ lb. car (Model 3) to carry usually just my wife and me. We don't need the Model 3's range which is one reason it is so heavy (large battery pack). We also don't need a car that is designed to win drag races and thus must have a stronger and heavier drive train including wide, expensive tires that increase aerodynamic drag and that do not have low rolling resistance.

Energy efficiency is low in Musk's list of priorities with acceleration and long range being at the top. The Model S and X are and the 3 likely will be among the least efficient EV's sold, primarily due to their heavy weight and focus on acceleration power. My priorities are just the opposite, so I'm hoping that Tesla will eventually sell a light, nimble, compact station wagon-like EV (better rear seat headroom and cargo volume at the expense of aerodynamic drag), something similar to a BMW i3 which we now own or even Mitsubishi i-MiEV which we formerly owned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts