Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you have heard how New Jersey is essentially banning Tesla from selling direct to consumers in their state. So much for a free market economy! If you haven't heard about it, here's the story:

New Jersey Bans Tesla to Ensure Buying a Car Will Always Suck | Wired Business | Wired.com

A white house petition has started up to allow Tesla to sell their cars in all 50 states. Here is a link to the petition:

http://wh.gov/llpAp

Please consider signing the petition. It only takes a name, email address, and zip code (password is auto-generated).

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Does anybody know if this is any different from other states where they can't sell? I know they can't sell in Texas, for instance. They have showrooms, but they will not talk about you actually buying a car.

The dealer's association has too much clout with the legislature (meaning $ and lobbyists).

Is the NJ situation different, or is this just a PR thing?

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
New Jersey won't even let you pump your own gas due to what ever stupid gas pumpers lobby they have our something.

Of course they won't let you buy a car without a middleman!

Signed

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
vote 4 mawah
272 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Oy GM. And here I thought you'd turned over a new leaf. Same old same old.

"We want them to play by the same rules." No you don't, you want Tesla to play by YOUR rules. Right now Tesla direct-selling is valid under the rule of law in OH. You have contracts with your dealerships that restrict you.

Your solution to this is to force Tesla into your status quo instead of fixing what is an almost universally despised dealer system?

Pah!

Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oy GM. And here I thought you'd turned over a new leaf. Same old same old.

"We want them to play by the same rules." No you don't, you want Tesla to play by YOUR rules. Right now Tesla direct-selling is valid under the rule of law in OH. You have contracts with your dealerships that restrict you.

Your solution to this is to force Tesla into your status quo instead of fixing what is an almost universally despised dealer system?

Pah!

Sam
Could not have said it better myself!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A white house petition has started up to allow Tesla to sell their cars in all 50 states. ).
Appealing to the WH won't do much good. States hold the power to ban anything they want. Not just teslas, but also selling copies of Playboy in stores (Utah), or marijauna (multiple states), or AR-15 guns (Connecticut, New York). You need to go directly to the state legislature if you want to unban these items

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Appealing to the WH won't do much good. States hold the power to ban anything they want. Not just teslas, but also selling copies of Playboy in stores (Utah), or marijauna (multiple states), or AR-15 guns (Connecticut, New York). You need to go directly to the state legislature if you want to unban these items
The White House, no, but Congress does have the power under the Constitution. They rarely use it and leave it up to the states.

I think you're correct, though, that nothing will come of it.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
There's a bill in the NJ senate to unban it, don't know if it'll go anywhere.

And Arizona's unbanning bill is pending (they're strengthening their bid to be where Tesla builds its billion dollar battery factory):
Arizona goes all-in for Tesla Gigafactory. Will Texas fold 'em? - Dallas Business Journal

If that bill goes through, Texas would also have to unban them to compete for the factory location. I doubt Tesla would build their factory in a state that put a protectionist ban on selling their cars.

Sam

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm #132,177 on the petition.
This is similar to the three-tier distribution system for liquor, wine, and beer, which hampers small craft producers all-across the country.

·
vote 4 mawah
272 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
WillS
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing