Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Insight
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I use for a safe power source and leads to test the drivers window motor? i used my lawn mower 12v battery and one spark at the plug suggested i get help. Ive read many posts, replaced the switch, i know there is juice to the plug, but my general lack of experience has me stumped over what to use for a “hot” and ground that won’t short out in the tiny plug to the motor? Help 😱
Ignorance is not Bliss

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
It's a 12 volt motor so a 12V battery is what you use. A little spark is normal if it started to turn. If it didn't turn, maybe it sparked because it's shorted internally. Or maybe you touched the two wires from the battery together accidentally.

·
Registered
2000 Insight
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks atikovi. Very helpful! Hearing your options gave me clarity about what to expect if I got it right or I got it wrong. I think the two wires did touch accidentally.
I couldnt think of a way to touch the pins more carefully. I couldnt find thin, solid, pointed leads like I have to test my electric fencing. After reading your post I thought of two possibilities. A spare 4P plug with some wire left on them maybe? I dont have one but then thought a strip of plastic or wire casing between the pins/leads would prevent spark.
sometimes just hearing someone lay a problem out differently from my limited experience jump starts my brain. Thanks for the jump.
cathy g

·
Registered
2000 Insight
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again Atikovi. The window is UP!!! Before the most recent downpours! I had already replaced the switch with a used one from this forum. Still no action. Ideas?
Thanks. cg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts