Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ran across this video by The Fast Lane: Car channel. They put a ratty ‘00 Insight up against a new electric Mini and a Honda Trail motorcycle to see which was the cheapest to refuel after a 40-mile drive in the Colorado mountains.

The motorcycle/scooter thing wins, not shockingly. The Insight easily beats the Mini in cost and convenience to refuel, also not shockingly. The Mini is the most pleasant car to drive, but that’s what spending tens of thousands of dollars more on a new car gets you.

Lots of fairly respectful talk about the Insight. In a more recent video, they replaced the battery and put it up for sale.

- Park

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thanks, Park. As interesting as it was, a better test would be a gas powered Mini vs. the electric Mini to see which one wins. I would imagine that the difference would be much smaller. Or, a properly converted electric Insight vs. the normal G1. The Tesla Model 3 is probably the most efficient EV on the market, today, according to the EPA, so a Model 3 vs. G1 test would be interesting, also. The Mini, of course, isn't an efficient vehicle. This is one of my main gripes with the current EV market. There is an obsession with range (which is understandable), but there seems to be very little concern with efficiency. "Who cares that I'm driving a Hummer, its an EV Hummer!"

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
For those that want the story on how these guys got conned in their purchase of that G1. I would disagree about their comment about running away from a G1 that is wired for a grid charger. But otherwise, a good video for people looking to purchase a G1.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find "The Fast Lane" hits my sweet spot between modern car reviews and old junky car reviews. Entertaining and funny without being crass or mean. They also have some good, practical, real-world ways of testing.

Given that we still don't have a great way to compare gas fuel economy to electric economy without doing some funky math, I thought the "what's it cost to top off" metric was a great, simple, practical metric.

I disagree on their comment about the grid charging harness - that's not an automatic "no," but rather an opportunity to ask questions. Could be somebody trying to limp along an old battery, or could be somebody performing needed maintenance.

As for the comparison itself - sure, it's a bit silly. These are three very different vehicles that meet different use cases. Need to drive year 'round? The motorcycle isn't going to cut it in Colorado. Want modern comfort and reliability? A clapped-out Insight isn't the best choice. Don't have more than $5000 to spend? You can't buy the Mini. I still enjoyed seeing how they compared.

And as @joeaax1j pointed out, nobody has really built a modern full-electric car with the same utter "moon shot" commitment to efficiency Honda baked into the original Insight with lightweight materials, aerodynamics, and other efficiency tricks. I'm not actually sure it's possible given that high-capacity batteries weigh so much more than a tank of gas, at least so far. Pretty hard to get the weight down and still have adequate range (200-300 miles for my needs).

- Park

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,194 Posts
LOL I feel like those guys didn't get conned so much as they didn't use common sense. The front bumper alone tells you 200K miles because of all the pockmarks.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
LOL I feel like those guys didn't get conned so much as they didn't use common sense. The front bumper alone tells you 200K miles because of all the pockmarks.
Idk... A 65k miles CVT car just sold in Fremont that looked like it had 265k on it... It looked worse than @Zoooms car does, and his has 315k miles.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
118 Posts
For those that want the story on how these guys got conned in their purchase of that G1. I would disagree about their comment about running away from a G1 that is wired for a grid charger. But otherwise, a good video for people looking to purchase a G1.

Not to be rude to them but...

Sounds like they're new to buying cars in general. They ran a carfax after they bought the car?

They bought the car knowing it had 260k miles, but thought they were getting a good deal because the cars engine, trans and IMA battery were recently replaced, and were surprised that other things like the steering wheel were worn down? Yeah sure the cat was bad but that's expected on a 20 year old 260k mile car. My final take away is that they're upset that a grid charger is put into the car, which is weird to me because it's probably something I would look for to see if someone took care of the vehicle, if the previous owner couldn't be bothered to put some sort of grid charger into the car, what else might be wrong with it? Learning that you could revive and keep the battery healthy was one of the top things that excited me about this car when I first saw them years ago.

That youtube video hyped the car for me and was the push that convinced me to get one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts