Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Insight into the dealer today (Mel Rapton Honda in Sacramento) because the IMA warning light came on about three weeks ago and I've been experiencing recals about twice a week ever since. I've also noticed a really abrupt transition when electric assist kicks in and out, especially in 2nd gear.

The dealer found error code "DTC77", which indicates "battery module deterioration." They said a service bulletin from the factory calls for replacing the battery pack and "motor control module" when this code appears. All is covered under the 8/80 warranty and the parts are on order and expected in about a week.

A little history: I bought the car used from the original owner about five months ago. I had some trepidation buying a used hybrid, but the 8/80 warranty settled my nerves. The car was well maintained, but the previous owner really didn't know much about the hybrid system and drove the car mostly for city errands. The lmpg was around 48 when we bought it.

Since we bought it, we have used the car probably 60 percent highway trips and 40 percent city driving, and we are way into the hybrid system function and always drive for best mpg and max battery charge. The lmpg has been slowly creeping up as a result.

We bought the car with about 57k miles and it now has 62k. Is it possible the change in driving behavior could have led to the battery's undoing? I also recently put 195/55/14 Dunlop SP8000 tires on the car, which have changed the charge/assist cycle somewhat because of their increased drag. But the IMA warning light and recal cycle started BEFORE the new tires went on, while the car was still wearing the OEM Re92 tires.

Anyway, I'm really grateful this happened early in my ownership of the car and not after the 80k mark, because we plan to own this car for a long time. 8)

By the way, what exactly is the "motor control module" and where is it located?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
MCM controlls the power flow to or from the motor, it's located basically on top of the battery pack under the rear cover.

For the record, how many miles were on the car when the code poped up?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
That is great for you. Many miles problem free from now on.
I wish the same for all other Insight owners.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There were probably about 61,000 miles on the car when the code first appeared just before Christmas, and I started getting recals at least weekly after that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today is the day. Took the car in to get the parts replaced today and will pick it up tomorrow. I hope all goes well. Wish me luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Skimmer:

___Try and learn from the experience. The past owner was not taking care of business as his lmpg showed. It is now time for you to consider an ultra-conservative driving style and that means leaving the pack for emergencies and thermal managing it as if you had an animal in the car when parked in the summer heat. If you do these things, you will never have another recal nor will you ever have to consider a battery replacement. If you don’t, it is only a matter of 80 + thousand miles and you might be right back to where you were last week if you are not careful.

___Good Luck with your Insight.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3867e3wt][email protected][/email:3867e3wt]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks a million for the encouraging words! (Our insights are both on track for new IMA outfits this week.) I certainly do wish you the best of luck and am sure everything will go smoothly. Sounds like we both have pretty good service dealerships and that's a plus.

It is interesting that both cars needed such major work with relatively few miles on them. Newbie that I am, I just don't know why.

It would be great if you could post a few words on how the car does w/ the new pack... maybe 80 mpg!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got the car back late yesterday. It took them only about six hours to do the work. I was told it had a "retail value" of $3,500, but it was all covered by the 8/80 hybrid warranty. :D

So far only limited city driving, but the charge/assist cycle seems to be back to normal, as far as I can tell. The abrupt hesitation "herky-jerky" problem is NOT fixed, however, and I'm now thinking it's either the fabled EGR problem or maybe a bad O2 sensor.

I pulled the EGR valve off and cleaned it today (very simple procedure) and this did not improve things at all. I'm running a bottle of Techron through the fuel system now to see if that helps.

It seems to fit the pattern others have experienced, with an abrupt jerking sensensation at around 2k rpms while trying to maintain constant speed or accellerate gently. If I floor it, the problem goes away. I guess the search continues... :roll:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Skimmer,
So sorry about the rough ride continuing. Clearly everything is not going smoothly. At least the battery degeneration code should be addressed and that's something. I can only say that I hope you find the problem and that all goes well down the line.

You've probably searched all the "herky jerky ride" posts already. I did read one post where the fellow was getting various misfiring codes and a terrible ride and it all seemed to correct when he got a new gas cap. Wow!

My first car was a Datsun F10 and it started bucking. Once heading north on I-5 towards Portland the bucking was so pronounced that it felt like some form of rodeo competion training! Other motorists were staring. It was not cool. :shock: The problem turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. What I know about cars could fit on a postage stamp...and I don't even know if the insight has one...but maybe something is clogging the fuel delivery.

In any event, best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
sputnik said:
<snip>

I did read one post where the fellow was getting various misfiring codes and a terrible ride and it all seemed to correct when he got a new gas cap. Wow!
That was one _very_ unusual situation. It required a LOOOOng downhill "coast" then it "sputtered" a few times when power was applied. Setting only pending misfire codes.

Save your money on this one :!:

EGR plumbing clogs are _rarely_ near the valve and usually require the EGR plate removal for sufficent cleaning.

HTH ! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news! I took the car on a 200 mile round-trip highway excursion yesterday and the sputtering disappeared. The problem first cropped up after an extended period of city driving, so a long stretch of highway driving must have cleared out the cobwebs. Much relief! 8)

I guess this lends some credence to the theory expressed elsewhere that the sputtering problem can be cleared up with a round of hard driving. Could be that the EGR manifold gets clogged up with soot, and getting the motor hot and breathing hard maybe clears it up. In the diesel world, they call this an "Italian tuneup." Something to consider if you have this problem yourself.

Meanwhile, all the new hybrid parts worked great on the trip, so I'm a happy camper! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts