Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone's 2010 Insight behave the way mine does? If I'm in heavy traffic, each time I come to a stop the car gives a little shudder as the gas engine turns off, and sometimes shudders again as the engine starts, when my foot is taken off the break. Come on Honda! I've got to imagine it's possible to design this gas/electric transition a little smoother. I get the idea of shutting the engine down with each stop to conserve fuel - excellent idea, poor execution. Will we all have to deal with this "feature" for the life of the car? I hope Honda puts out a recall to update the car's computer so they smooth out that behavior.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine does not shudder. It has a very slight hesitation when you release the brakes and the engine comes back to life but it is quite smooth, at least my car is. Perhaps you should bring yours in for service? Could be there is something wrong?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very mild shudder from time to time, not always, but I have found this is the Idle Engine kicking in. It also depends on the way I stop and if I have the air on or not.

Hope this helps a little.....;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
There is a very mild transition when auto-stop turns on, certainly not what I'd call a shudder, though. It's less noticeable than when turning off your average ICE car, at leasst for me - did you test drive the car?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are you talking about the jerkiness of the car when idling. Cause I definitely still feel that, especially after I switch between driving different cars. I have like 3000 miles on the car too, so I don't think it will change any time in the future.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Since I turned 5 thousand on the clock I have noticed that less and less. I do however seem to be developing a jerky acceleration when starting off from a stop.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Since I turned 5 thousand on the clock I have noticed that less and less. I do however seem to be developing a jerky acceleration when starting off from a stop.
May want to make sure you didn't have a drop in trans fluid level or something.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does everyone's 2010 Insight behave the way mine does? If I'm in heavy traffic, each time I come to a stop the car gives a little shudder as the gas engine turns off, and sometimes shudders again as the engine starts, when my foot is taken off the break. Come on Honda! I've got to imagine it's possible to design this gas/electric transition a little smoother. I get the idea of shutting the engine down with each stop to conserve fuel - excellent idea, poor execution. Will we all have to deal with this "feature" for the life of the car? I hope Honda puts out a recall to update the car's computer so they smooth out that behavior.
The gas engine turns off when stopped, and turns on again when you move or when enough time passes (~12 seconds, some report). You'l see "AUTO-STOP" blinking somewhere on your dashboard.

I found this very noticeable for the first 500 miles, after that, the shudder almost completely went away - even when I'm paying attention and looking for the shudder, I don't feel it anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first Insight I test drove had a very noticeable shudder. At this point I had almost completely written it off. After two other test drives on different Insights (the third test drive was just a formality because you should always test drive the specific car you're buying even if you've test driven that model many times before) the shudder was nowhere near as pronounced as that first test drive. The first test drive was on a car that had under 50 miles while one car had 230 on the odometer and the other had 120 on the odometer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I notice the shudder accasionally. Usually only when moving a short distance and then stopping again.

I agree with Brian1 here, only occasionally will it shudder when stopping, it seems when it does shudder, it couldn't make up it's mind clearly to autostop, I call this the "SputterStop". For the most part it is pretty smooth turning off and on.

Also, some jerkiness with acceleration, but if you wait a second after autostop comes back on, it pretty much eliminates the jerkiness.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with Brian1 here, only occasionally will it shudder when stopping, it seems when it does shudder, it couldn't make up it's mind clearly to autostop, I call this the "SputterStop". For the most part it is pretty smooth turning off and on.

Also, some jerkiness with acceleration, but if you wait a second after autostop comes back on, it pretty much eliminates the jerkiness.
Yes, the jerkiness I've seen is only when you don't let the auto-stop turn off completely before applying the gas - it's like shifting a normal automatic into D from N and stepping on the gas before the tranny has actually shifted, the same jerkiness happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have seen the same problem. I have driven 3 different cars from 2 dealers. 2 of them would jerk while accelerating from a stop. This was with Econ off and the engine running. The last drive I did, I was trying to see how easy I could drive the car and didn’t notice it a bit. Now I’m wondering if it is the car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I notice some kind of shudder when the car turns off and when starting... I also have a little hesitation / jerking when accelerating .... just hit 900 miles; 6 weeks ownership...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine has some minor vibration when "Auto Stop" does its thing. Some times it's more noticeable than others, but it's not bad enough to cause any worries. I have 700 miles on my I2 so far.

I'd imagine the motor mounts probably take some time to soften up and this will probably help reduce some of the shudder you have been experiencing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would have to agree that Honda's execution on this was surprising. My 10-year old Insight does not jerk at start-up if you hit the gas too quickly after autostop, but the 2010 does. Maybe its the 115,000 miles mellowing it out. On the 2010 we've learned to let go of the brake an extra second before pushing the gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have had the car 9 days and about 400 miles (600 on the ODO) - and also have noticed the uneven/jerky acceleration, even from a rolling start. Am wondering if it is a transmission break-in issue, and will get better with time? BUT, it will definately get mentioned to the dealer at the first service (along w/the auto-stop not staying stopped) if the issue hasn't resolved itself by then.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
My fluid is fine, its not that noticable now except the first start when cold. It will jump when I touch the gas, then thats it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The odd thing i've noticed is when you are coasting to a stop then right around 12-14 mph something suddenly drags really heavily on the engine (feels more like a lurch than a shudder :p ) till you get down to 4 mph then you coast at 4mph. It doesn't show the battery being charged either. I'm sure this has been hashed over already but I haven't found a post on it yet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts