Honda Insight Forum banner

441 - 460 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats Peter. Just read through this thread and regret selling my insight now!! Interested to see this at insight Fest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Break dancing box!

The is the BCM Replacer breakout box.

It allows the USB keypad to plug in, contains a 12v 1A power source for the video screen, and extra (very annoying) piezo sounder.

The video output is on a flying RCA pigtail female socket.

The pcb fits in a standard off the shelf ABS box.

The box and supplies are protected by polyfuses.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #447 (Edited)
Bar Graphs

Horizontal voltage tap 0-20v (100mv resolution) bar graphs.

These ones were easy enough, and use the modified fontbank described in the previous video.
Refresh rate is about 10hz... :)

Vertical maybe more tricky :?

Working in the car now.
Probably need to scale them and increase resolution, or add display options that do that.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
Bar Graphs Update..

Horizontal and vertical with /0 /2 /4 scaling option. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I’ve worked a lot with displaying information and have a question....

When you set the scale on the graph, can you arrange it so it shows a little below the smallest value and a little above the largest?

For the voltage taps, you are interested not only in the value, but the variation between values. With the scale you have, you cannot see the variations. All that juicy information is at the very ends of the bars and it’s obscured.

Just an idea.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Good ideas thanks ;) It's a work in progress like all my projects!

We will soon have systems in hands of the early adopters.
Feedback from these users should help a lot with development.

Still bugs lurking!!

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
16 Tap 'B' Board..

This 'B' board has upto 8 voltage tap modules for a max 16 voltage taps.

Useful in higher voltage stock NIMH stick pack experiments.

22/24/26 sticks Max.. ~245V peak under full regen..

Old low definition video..

Meanwell PSU DC/DC needed above 220V!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
BCM Replacer France Trip Update.

As some might know I've been trundling around France in my G1 320,000 mile car for the last week in the heatwave. The air-con has been broken for ages, so I have been relying on open windows and ice blocks to keep me and my companion cool.

I will have covered over 2000km+ by the time I get back to the UK in a few days time.
I came over to fix a French owners car at Saint-Nazaire, and have then spent a pleasant few days relaxing and exploring Brittany and the Loire areas..

I have been using the BCM Replacer exclusively, and even removed the backup OEM BCM before I set off. (Although I carried it packed away just in case.)

It been very interesting, and has made me appreciate the problems faced by owners in hot areas. Clearly battery thermal management is an issue in hot places, and active aircon type cooling for full packs required. The Insight pack cooling is simply not adequate in these scenarios, and it deals with the situation (fudges it) by disabling assist/regen etc until things cool down.

We had a daytime peak of 40C in the shade, and several days in high 30's C.
OK That might be tame by others standards, but it's bloody hot for us Brits..

The BCM Replacer has behaved very well. It hasn't crashed or locked up.
The software is not perfect yet, and any unexpected behaviour was not mission critical.

The Replacer hardware coped well with the high IPU temperatures, and it must have been at least 50C+ in there at times.

I closely monitored battery temperatures at all times, and only had one >45C shutdown after a long spell of regen when the pack was full, and we immediately stopped and parked in the sun.
The pack temp when we returned an hour or so later was 47C, and the BCM Replacer disabled assist/regen as programmed with a visual alarm to draw attention to the situation.

With the fan on high and ima disabled it pulled the temp back <45C once we got moving within a few minutes and normal service resumed.

I pre-emptively disabled regen myself a couple of times, especially when long descents beckoned and the pack soc was high, as that will always push the temperature up.

I have had no recals so far, and the pack is strong due to it being nice and warm and in good condition.

The SOC counting routine needs work, as do a few minor software bugs, but it certainly seems stable enough for the early adopters who will soon be receiving their systems..
Being able to manually enable/disable assist/regen was useful as was controlling the battery fan and SOC levels.

Anyway a couple more days left before i can get back to work on it..
No emergency repairs or software flashing etc has been required so far.. :)

Photo from the top of a Chateau.
Spot the one of only about four Insights trundling round France ..

·
Registered
953 Posts
Woo! I just got mine from Issac, thank you guys for your hard work. I'm really looking forward to testing this out.

I had a quick question, I have plenty of small heat sinks and I'm comfortable making custom one. Is there any benefit to adding some extra passive cooling or even adding additional venting for these units if there are times that the weather will be over 100F/37C? Thanks again!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I couldn't help it and painted the chassis a similar color as the boards since they just look so darn good. Also found normal thumb screws for PCs are the same thread pitch/size so I used them for the cover to make it easier to access board. Also I know I need to remove the pain from the feet and I did mask off all the screw holes for the board. I think all it needs is some graphic to go on the cover.

P.S. anyone who's on the fence for this product, just go and get it already. The work and end product of the setup is quite nice.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
I like the idea of a cover decal/vinyl graphic/sticker.... to go on the BCM Replacer lid.
Anyone want to design one?
I'll give a prize for the best/chosen design..
It would have to contain a certain amount of technical info / warnings and a cool logo..

441 - 460 of 496 Posts
About this Discussion
495 Replies
47 Participants
retepsnikrep
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing