Honda Insight Forum banner

481 - 496 of 496 Posts

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Attached BCM Replacer Firmware update.. 140819

1) Added Assist/Regen flags to BCMD (Screen) AR00

2) Added new config item to Menu F (Centigrade/Fahrenheit)
Note this only effects temperatures displayed on the primary BCMD & CAND screens.
All other temperature values are in C as are the config settings and internal evaluations.

3) Try reducing assist/regen using the Battery Temp C Spoof variable on Menu E and set it progressively higher and higher and see what happens. The MCM at some point might decide to cutback current..

4) The change display # key now has less screens, as the sub screens are now accessible from the main screens using key 4..
So when on BCMD or CAND screens, pressing 4 cycles through the various subscreens which now includes an new screen (individual raw temp sensor x 4 data in C)

5) The default cell capacity value is now 5000mah and the soc set to 75% of that as default.

6) Some other minor tweaks.

Note the attached pdf is not a pdf, and will need renaming to .hex

This is untested in my car but seems to run OK on the bench.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Thanks for the quick response on this Peter. Hopefully I'll have time to update the firmware this weekend and give you some more feedback.

I have 4 other rebuilt oem and one Honda Civic LiPo pack (without the Orion BMS) that I'd like to test and start using. To make this possible I'll be building the plug and play adapter pigtail once I get the AB BCM connectors just ordered. I am considering moving the EXT_Alarm A connection to an unused pin on the B connector to make this task easier by eliminating having to wire the A connector. What unused pin would you suggest I use? Or can I just ignore the EXT_Alarm connection and not loose any functionality?

Will the BCM replacer work with the older Orion BMS (superseded by Orion 2) BMS?

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
44NOW

Just ignore/lose the ext alarm.

Re Orion1 v Orion2. (I have an Orion2) so know it works with that. (You've seen the videos)

I know nothing about Orion1

You would have to supply me with an Orion1 and pay for my time to try an make it work with that.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I'm currently looking at installing my 40 cell EH4 Civic Lithium pack initially with no BMS.

I have tested the subpacks and they appear to be in good shape with 4.6AH measured of the rated 4.7AH pack. Donor Civic had 13K miles on it. After looking at the specs I plan on trying to keep the pack between 20% SOC at 3.2V and 80% SOC 4V. This should provide a usable capacity of 2.75AH (4.6 x .6).

Plan on using 39 of the 40 cells with 13 taps using the replacer bcm16 tap board.

Any balancing will have to be done manually using my Powerlab8 - 8 Cells at a time.

Will using the stock OEM Junction board like Insightbuyer did in his implementation.

The EH4 Civic pack appears to have a similar 4 thermistor configuration as the OEM NiHi pack. I'll take a closer look at this in the next days to see if they measure about the same.

Longer term I want a BMS but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on an Orion2 at this point.

Any suggestions or cautions about this setup would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
I'm currently looking at installing my 40 cell EH4 Civic Lithium pack initially with no BMS.

I have tested the subpacks and they appear to be in good shape with 4.6AH measured of the rated 4.7AH pack. Donor Civic had 13K miles on it. After looking at the specs I plan on trying to keep the pack between 20% SOC at 3.2V and 80% SOC 4V. This should provide a usable capacity of 2.75AH (4.6 x .6).

Plan on using 39 of the 40 cells with 13 taps using the replacer bcm16 tap board.

Any balancing will have to be done manually using my Powerlab8 - 8 Cells at a time.

Will using the stock OEM Junction board like Insightbuyer did in his implementation.

The EH4 Civic pack appears to have a similar 4 thermistor configuration as the OEM NiHi pack. I'll take a closer look at this in the next days to see if they measure about the same.

Longer term I want a BMS but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on an Orion2 at this point.

Any suggestions or cautions about this setup would be appreciated.
I think your plan looks pretty good.

I agree with your plan to use the Insight junction board. I'd wire the packs halves to the Insight pack switch for safety reasons.

I'll be interested in the level of balance you achieve with the PL8. I haven't been able to find a setting of the charger which will balance the LTOs closer than about 12mV.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Agreed please use a different thread for the Civic Lithium and recent charger discussions.
Move the recent posts over if you wish.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Ok Peter I've been watching this for a while.

I have a few stacks of A123 ANR26650 modules in storage that may be a good fit for as a lithium pack using the BCM replacer.

I'd make a 158.4v nominal pack
Each module is 13.3v nominal.
12 modules in series.
Pack configured in 4 modules wide by 3 modules high.

These are the modules

The cell spec sheet is linked in the page.

At the very bottom of that page I also put a link at the bottom with pics that compare the dimensions of the modules with that of a stock Insight pack.

Based on the setup it looks like the boards I'd need are:
A $300
B16 $115
C $300 (6x$50)
D $50
$765 Total

Does that seem right?

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just want to say, thank you Peter, for working on this stuff and describing your insights publicly. Although, after a year, I still feel like a new Insight owner and am busy learning about the mechanical nuances, at some point that will settle down, and I'll start looking at modernizing the electric power system. Thanks for all your work. :cool:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I will not be using an orion system for my vehicle at this time.

Edit: changed "would" to "will" and added "for my vehicle" in order to clarify that I was only talking about my car. Not projects like this in general.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Why not? Several of us have them, and the BCM Replacer will support it.

Sam

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I should probably start a separate thread to go into more details so as not to clutter this thread.
Basically money and not feeling urgency for it, and likelihood I might use something else. Also, I have a bunch parts around here like A123 balance boards etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Ah. You meant that YOU wouldn't be using it. I was thinking that you were advising that none of us should use it. Now I get it!

Sam

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
BCM Replacer Firmware update 030919.

1) Internal tweaks and optimisations.

2) Fixed secondary temp sensors display readings screen and enabled C/F conversion for them.

3) Menus all renamed with numbers. Menu A is now Menu 0 etc..

4) Add parameter id and text to the parameter adjustment screen, so you can see what you are changing.

Rename attached pdf to hex for programming. It's not a pdf!

Not tested by me in a car, only on my bench setup.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Thanks for all the support and interest in the BCM Replacer project at Insight Fest.
We have a couple of new early adopters as well.

We have had some useful technical feedback, so hopefully the system will get better and better with each update.

There will be a firmware update when I get back to the UK as we have squashed a significant bug that affected the assist/regen enable/disable flags.

I'll be riding with Issac today to test some stuff en-route to the car show in case anything else crops up.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #496 (Edited)
Our BCM Replacer (LTO Lithium guinea pig) Tim has just left Pickerington with his newly installed 84 cell 200V nominal 20ah pack.
That's a theoretical max 4kwh, of which about 3 kwh would be routinely usable.
That is 6 times the 0.5kwh OEM pack capacity. :)

He also has the

1) +40% inbuilt current hack.
2) OBDIIC&C with integrated IMAC&C P&P

He has a fair bit of tidying to do and will do a write up with pics later.

Fingers crossed he makes it.

We took educated guesses at the various settings for the BCM Replacer, but it is a significant step forward for the project.

He is using a 7 tap module, 14 tap setup for 14x6 cells (84) total.

481 - 496 of 496 Posts
About this Discussion
495 Replies
47 Participants
retepsnikrep
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing