Honda Insight Forum banner

501 - 520 of 544 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Peter,

Sorry I mistakenly assumed from the pinouts that you were implementing a 4 wire fan control on the replacer as are in common use now https://www.picmicrolab.com/pwm-fan-controller/2/ With the 4 wire setup I don't think you have to worry about the fan's Current and Voltage. CRZ 4 wire control circuit attached.

For now I'll just run these fans using the 2 Speed stock G1 with the resistor for low speed.

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #502

The fan control uses an open collector NPN 2A driver capable of PWM control for two x 12V fans of around 1A.

COOLFAN & HEATFAN

However no pwm code is yet implemented to control them.
Presently you can simply turn the outputs (fans) on/off in the menus.

If you know what switching frequency of the pwm your fans is supposed to be, then we could set the pwm to that and add the relevant code to control them, perhaps based on a sliding scale linked to temperature.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm trying to update the firmware on the BCM, but I can't seem to get the Pic programmer to work for me. I downloaded the PICkit 2 from the website, V2.61 and when I try to start communication I see the PIC device flash, but nothing happens and this is what I'm left with.

·
Super Moderator
672 Posts
Download this file and unzip it into your PICkit 2 install directory. On Windows, the default installation directory is "\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\PICkit 2 v2"

Additionally, the programmer can't supply enough power to run the BCM Replacer A board. You will need to power the A board externally. i.e. turn the car on. Given the proximity of nearby high voltage, I highly recommend turning the battery switch off first.

Yes, this will set a CEL, but so will the programming process. Be prepared to clear codes when you are done.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Bull Dog helped me figure out my issue. A simple one too, I was trying to use the pic programmer with the BCM outside of the car so he informed that the Pic programmer can't supply enough power to get the board online. So I tried it out in the car and it worked once I made sure the pins were secure.

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
Still tinkering with new current sensor circuit for next BCM Replacer A board revision.
We are intending to use a new opamp with better specs and some better design principles..
At the testing stage but hopefully this will give us better current accuracy from the OEM sensor.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Will there possibly be an upgrade program for those who have the initial BCM Replacer boards?

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
Will there possibly be an upgrade program for those who have the initial BCM Replacer boards?
I think there will be some discount available for early adopters.

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
Went and started up my BCM Replacer project car after 6 weeks standing.
Immediate P1648 (BCM to MCM comms failure) Hmm..
Maybe BCM Replacer has fallen over, so swap over to stock BCM, result same error. :?
It's been very wet here and this car leaks like a sieve damp inside for weeks :(

Dodgy connection? Anyway unplugged and replugged MCM connectors and fault has gone.
Dehumidifier now in car sucking out the moisture. :)

Finally loaded up the firmware from 190917 I posted a few weeks back for testing in the car.
Anyone else running that version? Anything to report?

Peter

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm running the same firmware, it seems good for me. Just my battery's internal resistance seems just too high to really keep using it. I got a CR-Z pack on the way that I will install.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
From the other thread that you plan to have a BMS 'b' board for the BCM Replacer, do you think you will be able to house everything within the BCM case?

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
We don't know yet, we haven't drawn a schematic so far, although we have ideas.
The balancing current per cell will likely be tiny <20ma to keep the heat down.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am having trouble finding the voltage deviation settings under the new build.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm very interested in using this with an Orion to convert my presently flat dead IMA battery to LTO. Any chance it can read variable current limit outputs on the Orion to scale back Assist and Regen to keep the batteries happy?

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
The BCM Replacer can't scale assist or regen, only enable or disable it.
The Orion2 can output the cell voltages and you can set the BCM Replacer enable/disable regen/assist flags.

It can set the SOC to any % which will alter the cars assist/regen behaviour.
High SOC = assist more/regen less and vice versa.

501 - 520 of 544 Posts