Honda Insight Forum banner

521 - 540 of 544 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Just a few other options .. in addition to the BCM-Replacer it self's function/ method Peter already described:

#1> Reverse of the more power hacks.
One could use the principles of hacking for more IMA power (Volts / Amps) in reverse .. to reduce instead of increase IMA power .. although I don't off the top of my head know of anyone who has done so.

#2> IMA-C&C
The IMA-C&C can be used to manually command just about any variable amount of regen or assist .. usually most people use it to ask for more regen or more assist than what the OEM would have been .. but in principle someone could use it the other way and command less .. ie 5kw commanded instead of the 9kw OEM would have done .. or 2kw commanded instead of OEM 5kw ... etc ... etc .. on either side assist or regen.

Everyone I know of uses it manually .. real world has soo many variables , and context changes so easily .. although in principle the manual control signals could be given as outputs from some other device to automate it , I don't know of anyone ever having done so.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sorry to ask again, but when I scroll through the options after I did the firmware update I don't see the setting for adjusting voltage deviation. The manual last time I looked had the older layout. Will you be updating the manual to reflect the new updates?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
From ny post a couple of days ago.

To hopefully answer specifics..

1) The BCM Replacer at present itself doesn't monitor individual cells.
It monitors equal blocks/groups of cells using 22V volt capable taps in a similar way to the OEM nimh system.
It detects gross inter tap voltage variations to flag when a cell is empty/full etc..

The system uses plug in tap modules that each monitor 2 taps.
You can have from 0 to 8 tap modules, which equals 0-16 taps, at a maximum of 22V each.

So you need to work out how 72 cells divides equally between 0-16 taps.
9 taps = 8 cells per tap (You can use the standard ten tap 'B5' board)
12 taps = 6 cells per tap (You need the extended sixteen tap 'B-16' board)

So in order to monitor 72 cells in 9 blocks of 8 cells.... you need...

1x 'A' Main System Board
1x 'B-10' Tap Module Receptacle Board
5x 'C' Tap Modules Boards
1x 'D' Keypad Board
1x 'E' Breakout Board

If you want to monitor the individual cell level then presently you need a 72 cell 'Orion2' BMS properly configured to talk to the BCM Replacer..

In that case you can either have the system described above, and have some cross checking of data between the two systems, or you can rely on the Orion2 and have a minimal BCM Replacer configuration.

A minimal BCM Replacer when used with an Orion2 is..

1x 'A' Main System Board
1x 'D' Keypad Board
1x 'E' Breakout Board
Peter,

I am looking to begin my 72 Cell LTO conversion, I had originally planned on just using the BCM Interceptor while waiting for the next revision of the Replacer, but after emailing with you I have decided to look at the current Replacer option. My question is now that you have the ability to read the taps from the LTO BMS boards, would I still need and of your "C" Tap module boards, or the "B" Receptacle board?

·
Administrator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #525 (Edited)
The answer isn't simple or maybe it is? I agree it's all confusing.
Early adopters always take a gamble.

The current version of the BCM Replacer has two hardware issues we are working on.

1) The voltage sensing modules are not super accurate, so for now they can only detect fairly wide variations between taps around +/- 200mv. With some work we should get that down to +/- 20mv.

2) The battery current sensing circuit is also not super accurate so SOC accuracy long term suffers a bit.

Now neither of these are show stoppers. ;)

I use my soon to be LTO car daily with Nimh fitted at present.
The system detects falling cells/imbalance quite adequately.
A US owner 'GTS8650' on here uses his daily with LTO fitted and a 16 tap board BCM Replacer setup.
I'm sure he will chip in.

Now we go onto your question.

Until I install my own LTO pack and get time to work on the system/software then the LTO packs own BMS isn't currently useable. This might change over the next few months. :)

So for now you could use the voltage tap modules to detect gross imbalances between blocks.
That would be enough currently to stop you killing cells or packs.

Or you could buy an Orion2, but that seems wasteful for now.

My plan with my own LTO conversion is to install/use all three methods side by side to allow development, comparisons, and testing etc.
So that's BCM Replacer with 16 tap board, Orion2 with cell level voltage detection, and the LTO packs own BMS.

Now we likely never will be able to activate balancing with the LTO boards as we don't have a working car/system to hack. So an LTO system using the stock BMS boards will/may require manual balancing from time to time.

An Orion2 system of course has balancing built in and accessible.

So finally you don't have to have a BCM Replacer B or C boards if you want to rely on the LTO's own BMS or use an Orion2. But don't forget the LTO software isn't ready yet.

However to allow cross checking it's a useful addition.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Thanks for the thorough response Peter, that helps clear things up substantially. One other question, my OBDIIC&C is quite old, from 2014 I believe. Do I need to get one of your newer ones or will mine function properly with the BCM Replacer?

-Steve

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
A website with an faq is on the list of things to do.

I have attached a pdf and a png (if the pdf doesn't display properly) of the pin-outs of the BCM Replacer boards.
Bulldog,
I am working on integrating my BCM Replacer, but want to address a discrepancy between my breakout board harness, and your pin-out. My breakout board 12v (RED/YLW) and GND (BLK/GRN) wiring have the larger pins that fit in pin 1,12,11,and 22. However your chart shows they should go in position 10 and 21. The large pins don't fit in these positions.

I also have a gray/red wire coming from the breakout board with a large pin on it that I don't see listed on your chart.

Thanks!

-Steve

EDIT: Bulldog called me and set me straight. Moral of the story, don't wire in the middle of the night! I misinterpreted the pin-out thinking it was from the front side of the connector instead of the back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’ve gained experience over the past four months as an early adopter of the BCM Replacer along with an 84-cell LTO pack. There’s 14 voltage taps, or one tap for every 6 cells.

Initially there was never more than 100mv difference between voltage taps, with DevV alternating between 00.0v and 00.1v. Now I occasionally see up to 300mv difference, with DevV usually alternating between 00.1v and 00.2v but with an occasional DevV of 00.3v.

This leads me to believe that over time the LTOs will benefit from cell level monitoring and management.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
So I think that I made some faulty assumptions about my setup. I am using a 72 cell LTO configuration, and knowing that Peter is working on BCM Replacer firmware that will support reading the factory BMS voltage taps I elected to not purchase the BCM Replacer voltage tap board. At the time I was thinking that while I wouldn't have voltage taps until Peter released the applicable firmware, I would still be able to utilize my setup, but with only pack level voltage sensing.

At the time I wasn't able to locate my factory electrical troubleshooting guide, so I didn't think too much about it. Now that I am working to install the system I realize that without the voltage taps, the BCM Replacer has no pack voltage input.

This seems fairly obvious in hindsight, but while focusing on the overall system, I missed it. Hopefully this keeps anyone else from making the same mistake.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Peter,

The last time it was mentioned you thought it would probably be a few months until you had BCM Replacer firmware that supported voltage monitoring from the LTO BMS. Do you still see this as being a few months away? I ask so that I can contemplate if the best move to get my setup going is just to purchase the Voltage tap board and 6 taps.

Thanks

·
Administrator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #532
Do you know your 6 LTO blocks ID's?

Maybe a month before I have some code but it would be very beta.
You would be a guinea pig.
I'm snowed under with stuff as usual.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Peter,

I have your interrogator on the way ? so whenever that shows up I will know my block IDs

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is the OBDII C&C still a valuable unit to have if you will have the BCM Replacer or does the BCM replacer also add/have the same/similar functionality?

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Is the OBDII C&C still a valuable unit to have if you will have the BCM Replacer or does the BCM replacer also add/have the same/similar functionality?
yes = still valuable.
BCM Replacer is just the high voltage IMA battery.
OBDII C&C also gives access to other vehicle stuff.. like the ICE and such.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks! I just wasn't sure if additional functionality was built in to it. I hope the BCM Replacter project is coming along well as I definitely need a new pack and would like to go that route vs getting new nimh batts.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Man life has been crazy. I want to get back into my lithium swap and was wondering if the code for reporting voltage info from the HCH/CRZ lithium packs was added or not to the BCM Replacer? Thanks.

·
Administrator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
I started but got distracted/diverted onto my own LTO projects.

It would need quite a bit of work to finish it off and would be completely untested.
I think there will be little demand for this HCH/CRZ compatibility/option.
Certainly no one else has mentioned it asfaik for a long time.

You might want to e-mail me privately about it.
If you want me to add it there will be a cost involved.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I was wondering if the BCM replacer draws any current when the car is off? Thanks. Also what is the best way to check to see if there's a new firmware update? Thank you!

521 - 540 of 544 Posts