Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a week now since my 83k mile old insight had 2 recalls on the same day, and then it began.

I am used to having 1 recall on the week-ends when my driving pattern changes from my weekday highway driving style, the batteries charge up in a few minutes and are back to full in no time.

This time however, was the first time i see 2 recalls back to back, so the battery was almost done charging or charged already and then i saw another recall.

after that point, and for this whole week, the IMA is charging all the time! meaning that the battery is never getting to the FULL charge or even close, it is always missing at least 5 to 8 bars. Usually this is when my forced charge stops, but the braking and other factors charge the battery even more. so the car is only chraging the battery to the point where the forced charge stops.

I also noticed that the car is not as light as it was, i guess that is the result of the forced charge working all the time.

i am taking it to the dealr tomorrow 6-30-05 but i already got the feedback that if the IMA is not on they can't do anything. but i know my car, there is something wrong.

so to recap,

the battery is not charging all the way, and whener i use the assist, even if for a little bit, it dips quickly causing the forced charge to start again, which is keeping the battery at a half charge with the forced charge active.

any ideas?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Try a reset.
Remove the 12v. battery negative terminal for 10 seconds then replace it. The charge indicator will show NO charge.
After I do that, it has a forced charge of 4 bars for about 2 miles then the charge indicator climbs to full.
In this hot weather, if I use half or more of the charge climbing hills, the indicator will not rise above half regardless of full charge going down hills or 15 miles of forced charge with no IMA use.

I have been having recals about every 150 miles for the last 9 months. No trouble codes yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dealer response

Ok, i took it to the dealership here in Fredericksburg virginia, and they said the car was in good shape and that the batteries were great and the IMA was great.

the car drove the same until today, which means that i was using the assist 90% of the time to keep hte car moving and that was draining the batteries and keeping them at a force charge, so i was using them up before they could take a break and charge.

so today and for the first time in more than a week, i achieved full charge and assist when i needed it. the car was easily doing 75mph even without the assist.

has anyone experienced this? sometimes the engine is enough to get the car up to speed, and other times you need the assist to go 70mph. note that this change was using the same tank of gas, i.e. nothing changed with the gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts