Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a quick glance through the board and haven't found a definitive answer to what this means. Here's my history:

92k miles on my '06 CVT. 12V battery is thinking about starting to go, but I haven't changed it yet. Incredible cold snap means I have been driving the AWD vehicle on my commute while the Insight stays cozy[ish] in the garage. Roads are fairly clear today, and I Hate driving the van, so I took the Insight today. Started up the car & got both the engine light and the flashing D light. Ambient temps were -5°F (-20°C) and the wind chill was about -30°F. Drove for about ten miles before the blinking D finally went solid/normal. Engine light never went off during the commute.

Obviously I need to start with a new 12V (and recommendations are gratefully welcomed), but does anybody really know what that blinking light means?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
It means a cvt fault was detected. You maybe able to pull a code with an odb2 scanner, but you very well will end up at the dealer to pull it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Cobb. That's on the to-do list for this weekend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Count the long and short D light blink flashes then post the numbers here.

Autozone can read the codes.
Would that I could! It stopped blinking after about ten miles. And then the engine light went off when I filled up for gas that evening. Coincidence? Probably.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
The car holds dtcs til they are cleared with a odb2 tool. After 2 engine cycles the idiot light will go off.

Im thinking it was temperature related.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Code result

U0101 was the result. How's that for a non-event?

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thats not listed in the gen 2 manual, but a google search shows its pretty generic across all vehicles to mean lost communication between modules. I guess checking the grounds wouldnt be a bad idea. THe gen 2 has grounds everywhere in relation to other cars Ive owned.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,962 Posts
For CVT-G1........
U0101= "No A/T F1 signal, A/B circuit, Malfunction ON."

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Thats clear as mud, thanks WIllie. :evil:

Does it drive ok? Some say the cvt goes into a limp home home and is stuck at a fixed ratio.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Funny you should ask...

Engine & IMA light came on this evening. :( It was pretty much immediately apparent to me, too. It threw the p0a7f code (forgot to check the blink codes), which indicates to me (after reading a few threads here at IC) that I need to get the car to the dealer, pronto: I have 94k miles on this CVT.

FWIW, the IMA appears to be fully charged. ???

Since when do CVTs start throwing IMAs this early?! *super sad face*

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
IMA & CEL on from the start this morning. Making my appointment with the dealer$hip now...

Oddly, the loss of the IMA was less obvious this time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Note to mod:

Feel free to move this thread to the Troubleshooting Forum. My mistake!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Three cheers for RedJellyBean!

RedJellyBean has offered to grid charge my IMA. Woot! Y'all are the best.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any updates?
My IMA was indeed badly off, but I've been driving it a-okay after a good grid-charge. I have a deposit in for new battery, but I'm hoping to ride the current one as long as I can. Just hit 100k miles on Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
My IMA was indeed badly off, but I've been driving it a-okay after a good grid-charge. I have a deposit in for new battery, but I'm hoping to ride the current one as long as I can. Just hit 100k miles on Tuesday.
So have these problems be related to a bad IMA battery?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So have these problems be related to a bad IMA battery?
I believe so, yes. But I can't say with 100% certainty.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
So after a good gridcharge the problem never occured? My friend's car had this problem two days ago. He didn't gridcharge it before the first drive after three weeks. His IMA battery is 8 years old.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after a good gridcharge the problem never occured? My friend's car had this problem two days ago. He didn't gridcharge it before the first drive after three weeks. His IMA battery is 8 years old.
It hasn't occurred yet. The rebalanced battery will die again, at any time really, at which point I'll replace it with a Bumblebee battery. My battery is also eight years old.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts