Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll let the 5 speeds have their own thread :)

I'd like to have a discussion on the technique of acceleration for best mileage results. I will refrain from making a poll because too many polls isn't fun ;) (also, i babble here, a LOT, so either read it and try to understand or ingore it :? )

Basically, which is better? I can name 4 different ways off the type of my head:

Granny: being VERY light on the pedal. so much so that the Assist will turn off way before you reach your desired cruising speed.
Normal: giving it a good amount of gas. the Assist will continue to assist until you reach cruising speed.
Aggresive: giving it plenty of gas. the Assist is almost full and acceleration is pretty strong, RPM gets pretty high.
Flooring it!: putting the pedal to the metal! full assist, and 0-60 in 14 seconds! :D (12 with S mode! :twisted: )

i've done all of these quite a few times, though I usually stick to normal or aggresive (depending on the demand, of course)

I'll skip to some of my theories now; Flooring it and the S mode are practically the same thing. If you floor it while moving, your revs will move up, the CVT will adjust, and if you push S, there is practically no extra pull or "rubber band lag" which leads me to believe flooring it and S both use the "map" the computer has to pick the pre-determined gear ratio for the speed at full throttle. Of course, S mode is different in that if you push it before you push the pedal, the CVT ratio's will change and get "ready" for you to give her all she's got. in other words, flooring it will still take a few seconds for your RPM's to reach redline, while S mode puts you higher up quicker.
Now, there's "another" way I'd like to add. first of all, the assist has a "minimum on" which will start when the demand (your pedal) reaches a certain point in relation to your speed (and incline of the road). let me just babble a scenario...
say you are stopped. you want to get to 50 mph, so you push the pedal half way down and leave it there. the computer will adjust the RPM's and assist for where you have your foot, and acceleration will be smooth until you reach your desired speed.
now let's say you are stopped. and you touch the pedal EVER SO SLIGHTLY. if you do it lightly enough, you can get the car to move without any assist! granted it will be SLOW, but you can accelerate just using the gas engine. (but since the pedal isn't far down, the computer thinks you just want to creep, so don't expect to actually accelerate to freeway speeds this century without using assist)

now the wierd part (like i haven't confused you already!)... if you give the pedal a little bit more than a feather, the Assist will turn on (and turn on very suddenly! quite a jolt!), and it will do so at the "minimum on"
okay so if you left your foot there, you would accelerate to the speed demanded by your pedal. say 10 mph.
the Assist would then turn off and you would be cruising. BUT!
What if you kept feathering the pedal to where the assist will be "minimum on" all the way to 60mph?
So theoretically what you are doing is pushing the pedal down slowly but steadily all the way until cruising.
I see 2 benefits to this: A) the computer never really knows where your pedal is, so it won't adjust to high RPM's thus consuming less fuel. B) the ratio of electric propulsion to gasoline propulsion is very high. so you're getting a lot of the electric motor/it's doing a good portion of the work.

now i'll open the table up to you guys. post your thoughts or theories about accelerating, don't be shy, just post!

·
Registered
125 Posts
CVT... Wanted a manual, no dealership I went to had it, so I got a CVT. :( I want my lean burn! Oh well... At least we CVT owners don't have to worry about SOC recals. :p

Anyway, I usually accelerate normal/agressive and that so far has gotten me around around 55MPG (has anyone been able to get the EPA rated milage?)

Flooring it... eh... Tried that a couple of times and it DOES seem to work as long as you don't plan to stop and go often. The full assist from the electric motor does seem to pay off.

Best I've been able to get on a single trip so far is around 64MPG or so. Trip was about a 40 mile drive mainly on the freeway crusing around 60-65MPH.

Also, just wondering... Any CVT owners been able to get their SOC level below 80% or so? No matter what I try to do, the SOC level seems to ALWAYS 3 or 4 bars off from a full charge unless I'm climing a hill or something.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want lean burn too :( oh well

about the charge, mine is usually 1 bar from the top, and no less than 4 bars. i can get it down to 75% when i go to my friend's house over the I-52 "mountain" in san diego (for those who know where this is)
and a couple weeks ago i got it down to less than 50%! it was the 110 toll road near LA, it basically goes over a mountain (i was up in the clouds!). i kept my foot still and let the computer decide how fast to go, so i was goin' about 50mph up the hill, and just before the top, it started to force charge, but i gave it some more gas and let it assist some more.
and on the way down, it was so steep i had to actually feather the brake at 70mph all the way down!

and i think i've had 1 recal. i wasn't really paying attention and was climing a hill and glanced down and noticed the charge at 25%, but it climbed pretty fast back up to 90%

anyway. my luck with traffic lights stinks, so even when i do accelerate very aggresively, i end up slamming on the brakes a few feet later :cry:

my LMPG is around 55, but going down ever since we moved closer to work, and there's less highway. i used to be able to get over 60mpg on the way to work easily. now getting over 50mpg is kinda lucky :(

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Get on up there...

We usually just acelerate rather heavily to our target speed, THEN start feathering the throttle if mileage is our goal. Only use "S" if we want to go boogety boogety (merging, passing, etc.), otherwise, we just let the rubberband tranny use its ESP to get us where on the speedometer we want to go. Interesting aside: Using this technique has become second-nature now... and a hard habit to break. I even use it (more out of habit than not) in our other vehicles... with the result that our mileage in the "Big *** Van" (big Dodge conversion for comfy trips with friends in tow + luggage) has gone up from 14.5 average to bumping 16 on trips(I'll take the 10% gain at these gas prices)! Similar gains on our SW2, too... go figure...

·
Registered
102 Posts
:-(

:(

So far I've only been able to do 40-42 mpg at best. I drive normal-agressive but have tried all styles. I can't get this number to go up! Ohh well, I've only had about 275 miles to practice, but I did expect that after that many miles I'd have the hang of it. Maybe the engine needs to be broken in first. Any idea how to break a motor in to get optimum gas mileage to performance ratio?

I notice if I let it stay at 45 mph and lighten up on the gas as much as I can w/o losing a mph I can get it to hang around 75-100 on the instant thing at the bottom. But it's a constant battle to keep my foot jammed in right where it needs to be, just a lil up and u lose speed, just a lil down and u lose mpg. I'll get cramps in my feet eventually. I also heard while breaking in a new motor don't let the speeds stay constant. You're supposed to vary the engine load greatly, don't let it settle in at one speed/rpm for an extended amount of time. So I get scared when I try to let it stay at 45 and not vary the engine load. Just stay at a constant.

It would seem cruise control would have helped out a whole lot as it could do a better/more precise job at holding a constant speed better and getting great mpg in the process. Too bad I have to pay extra money just to get that option. But I may have to go that route sooner than planned. I want 50+ mpg!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hang in there, Glitch...

Our best on our 2001 Insight CVT came after 3000 mi. or so. I had the Rostra cruise installed, it helps us a lot to maintain a set speed, but it is not that super on mileage (I can anticipate hills, feathering the throttle on the way up, cutting out totally on the down side, etc.). Also: Your best mileage is in town with few stops (if you time the lights right), under 50mph. Regardless: We have 50 pounds all around, a/c on econ. since day one, lots and lots of highway miles (70+ mph is our usual cruise), and our LMPG is ~54+. Our best: 68 mpg in KS, heading E with a tailwind, no cruise, few hills if any, and 200 mi. without a stop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whenever I can, I try to ensure I'm the first car in a particular lane at a light, so that I can take full advantage of the "flooring it" method. What I love is when an SUV coming up to the light pointedly gets into the other lane, figuring my little car is going to take forever to leave the intersection, and then the light changes and I leave him in the dust. :p I had a sports car do that to me last week, and while his acceleration was better than mine, it took him a few seconds to realize he was going to have to floor it too to get by me. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
cruise and mpg

Just purchased my insight. (used 2002) Is it alright to install cruise and where should I go for that? Normal driving I don't need it but am planning some trips (beach in TX over spring break--yes teachers like to go to the beach too!) and can't imaging 12 hrs of driving w/o it. Need your input. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found floor mats that fit? I need rubber---live in the country w/ the horses. I would like to keep the carpet from becoming horsedung encrusted!.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Cruise and Mats

Yeehaw, I reeeeeally reeeeeally like our Rostra Cruise, our local stereo alarm tint outfit installed it with no problems in 3-4 hours (it had to be ordered, though, so include that in your plans. Ours took 3 days). Turns out the local Honda dealers use them sometimes for their installs as opposed to having their own high-dollar techs tied up with routine installs like cruise. Be sure and get the wireless control that fits on the steering wheel as opposed to the "stalk" control, it looks deck and if you have a CVT, it's a very close match to the "D/S" factory control @ 4 o'clock on the wheel. They installed ours for right around $350 if I recall. Yeah yeah you give up some mileage but your right ankle will forgive you.

I have not tried these, but on another Insight chat group, someone once mentioned that the Mazda MVP floor mats are remarkably close to the Insight measurements, with very minimal trimming needed on the driver's side. I would imagine everyone from Pep Boys to WalMart to WeatherTech (mats.com) would have choices for ya.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I drove from the west coast to the east coast in my Insight without cruise control and it wasn't a problem. It would have been nice to have but wasn't missed.

I found some big thick rubber floor mats from WalMart. They really help to lower the road noise from the floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
43.7MPG

:evil: After 9,873 miles I have averaged only 43.7 MPG.
I own a 2002 CVT. I usually drive a flat HWY, 44 miles round trip, 5-7 days a wk.
I believe there is something wrong with my insight. I have taken it in to two different dealorships and both have found nothing wrong.
I am very frustrated as the "break in period" is over and I am still getting poor gas milage.
What should I do? :?:

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Amy,
With that many miles on the car and the length of your comute, your results do seem low. Have you followed any of the driving tips on InsightCentral.net (see http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-efficiency.html)? Also, have you owned the car prior to the winter/spring months? If you have only been driving in very cold weather, this could be a factor. I have seen a couple of instances where the car's battery pack has one or more defective cells. This is highly unusual... but if all else fails, have your dealer check for this possibility.
Benjamin

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would bet it's your driving habits. For freeway driving you MUST keep the instant mpg no less than 75mpg to see great improvements. To do this you have to get up to speed quickly and very lightly throttle back, using a soft pedal touch. Watch for your instant mpg to jump up and your speed to stabilize to confirm the sweet spot. For city driving remember to take your foot off the throttle way before stop signs and red lights. Make sure you have ECON on. Check your tire pressure, maybe 45 or 50 psi would be better.

Try that and let us know!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How you drive is key

With most cars, maintaining speed calls for constant pressure on the accelerator. Not so with the Insight. I had to break myself of the habit of keeping my foot pressing the accelerator while maintaining cruising speed... since the Insight has a little "sweet spot" where very little pressure is needed to keep your speed up. Get up to your target speed with alacrity, then back off a hair. Watch the video-game screen, keep your mpg's around 55-75 mpg, and you'll bump up your mileage. And keep 50 pounds in all four corners, it really helps. Doing this, and with our usual 70+ mph highway speeds, and with the a/c on Econ set at 70 year-round (and never turned off since day one), our LMPG is 54+ @ 12,000 miles. That's using our Rostra cruise control 50% of the time, or else it would be a much higher LMPG.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I toggle the ac on/econ on and off as needed. I try to use it during regen.
When my 20 year old takes the insight it comes back with less than half charge and 40 -45 mpg.
When my 16 year old ( very competitive) takes it it come back fully charged and 65-70 mpg. Same hilly roads and same car. I can get 70-75 mpg driving at around 50-55 and only 50-55 driving at 75. The car seems suited to country driving 40-50 mph and suffers at high speeds.
We live waaaay out in the country and the car is excellent no problems so far. I take it to WV each week and it's 1,000 miles round trip. I can get 65- 70 mpg on secondary roads but it adds 2 hours to the trip. I can only get 60 taking it easy on the highway.
The car seems to do best when accelerating to let the assit come on slightly and still get 40-45 instant mpg. This (if you watch it) will take you up to desired cruising speed.
Sorry to babble
Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts