Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fearing the worst but maybe my battery still has a chance...

I have a '00 that I bought with 135K miles on it. It now has 149K. I've noticed lately that my IMA battery capacity indicator always stays near full, even though I would get only 3-4 bars of assit. Many times in 5th gear I saw no assist as I put my foot down. When this happened I let off the accelerator and depressed it again. Then I would see 3-4 bars for about 5 seconds and it would fade to none. :cry: Even in the lower gears I would get partial assist and it seemed to fade away.

This has gone on for awhile. Last week my IMA and check engine light came on and I have no battery charge indicator bars, no assit.

I'd be greateful for any troubleshooting tips / diagnosis from the group!

Many thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same problem here. I had previously thought it was a weather-related problem, and started a thread about it, but it is now clearly not due to cold temps.

I have three major, random modes of failure: no assist at all, no assist until I floor it, and then 4 or 5 bars of assist for a moment (ie, same as you describe) and, finally, full assist but dropping immediately to 4 or 5 bars. These are, as I said, random, and intermingled with normal operation. After a period in which I had had frequent recals, I recently went about three weeks with the SOC showing almost full, maybe 2 or 3 bars down, and not changing at all.

No lights yet for me, however. This is a 2000 with a lmpg of 52, and it was 48 when I bought it about 11000 miles ago. Total miles are about 59k.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions appreciated, although I've done the resets,and no results whatsoever from those. TIA - Pat

·
Registered
408 Posts
We've got a new IMA (and accompanying stuff) on order under warranty. A few months before the light went on, we experienced the "no assist even though battery showed full" situation. A reset (disconnect neg battery terminal) solved the problem. After the IMA light came on, it went to having full assist for a couple seconds then minimal assist thereafter. Anyway, the battery got stuck on full again and another reset solved it so far. Everything's responding normally. Hopefully, the new batteyr arrives soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's an update...

It appears that my 12V battery was quite weak and was causing most if not all of my problems. I still suspect I am not getting full IMA when I should but at least I'm getting something. My car has 145K miles on it and I hope to baby it along for another 50K or so before I need to replace the IMA battery. Do you folks think there will be other options for batteries available in a year or so? I'm hearing $4-5K for the Honda unit and that just won't fly with me. At that point I'll yank the whole IMA module, motor, etc. and look for ways to give the little three banger a bit more oomph. Turbo? Should be interesting in a car this light. Fuel economy probably will still be in the mid 50's Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I'd say that your one year time frame is a bit optimistic. The $4-5K USD you quote would be for the IMA pack, new programmable BCM & MCM system controllers, tax and with labor. IMO the controllers should be optional but you will sacrifice the implied ability for Honda to update the control software, maybe in relation to "better" batteries. No one has yet confirmed this and I'd think that if the newer IMA pack is incompatible with the older controllers you'd have a good "argument" for Honda to pick-up the additional cost regardless of miles.

The Gut it" approach has several technical challenges and will not be low cost. See:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3191

Honda does state in S.B. 04-028 that under warranty the controllers _shall_ be replaced with the IMA batteries. It doesn't necessarily mean that their incompatible. ;) See:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 7&start=45

In theory you could upgrade to Li ion's now and reap the benefits. Its the costs of both the batteries and a "custom" control system that will make this upgrade unattractive. Bare batteries alone are estimated in the $5K+ neighborhood.

The basic framework is being worked out in the Mod & Tech forum for grid charging the IMA system. This will necessitate a modification to the IMA control system implying that different batteries _may_ be an option when coupled with MIMA. What can happen in a year with that project is anybody's guess. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
185kts said:
Any thoughts?
Step one: Determine why the IMA light came on. If you have a service manual you can do it yourself as shown here.http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3161
Otherwise a honda dealer read it, probably for a fee. Warning. If you have a very week 12V battery or have disconnected it after thre IMA light came on, the code(s) have been cleared from the IMAs memory.

Step two: If you have a "terminal" code (i.e.The fix is IMA battery replacement) stored in the IMA, take it to a honda dealer you trust and ask about a goodwill warantee extension (seach for "goodwill" for details). It depends alot on the dealer if you get it, so choose wisely and be polite. It might cost you $40-$80 for a "diagnostic" charge, but you might get a new battery, BCM and MCM for free.

Anyway, you'll have some more knowledge on what is wrong with your insight. And knowledge is the key to making good decisons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts