Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
I think there are at least 3 Insighters in line at the moment.
ME being one of them.
It is a "KIS" vehicle.
(Keep it simple)

Willie

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would you tweek it or leave it as is and enjoy? They should sell it without engine and tranny imagine the posibilities

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Got a "turbo" on the bench just waiting.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I'm in line too. Not sure I will pull the trigger but that is not yet an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Will you be able to get them without drive train?
Unlikely. There was no mention of that when a bunch of IC folks met in Phoenix to see the display.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Will you be able to get them without drive train?
Not unless you are willing to buy one and remove it yourself.

They have no plans to offer just a chassis. Why would they? If there is enough demand for and EV or hybrid version, they will make one. First things first.

If you really want a light weight chassis to play with, there are some Insights for sale for under $1000. Are you thinking of a different engine? Or maybe making an EV? There may be some of thiose for sale too as it has been tried but not perfected. Experimentation is good.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Substantial Doubt -- May: Cease Operations Altogether Phrases in SEC report from Elio

They should sell it without engine and tranny imagine the posibilities
LoLz 4eally that conjurs up images of the Fred Flintstone's Footmobile for the 21st Century!

EDIT: new SEC filing declarations:
Could the End of Elio Motors Be In Sight?
By Matt Parker January 4, 2017 4:59 AM

"Just 2 months after Elio Motors CEO Paul Elio told the Louisiana House Commerce Committee that production of his 3 wheel automobile would begin in Shreveport by the end of 2017, the company has announced another round of delays and says production will not start until late 2018.
However, according their latest SEC filings, any time frame they give may be a pipe dream. The company has accumulated a deficit of over $123 million dollars as of September 30,2016. Elio stated this about their financial situation in the filing:

‘These factors, among others, raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern. If we are unable to continue to obtain financing to meet our working capital requirements, we may have to curtail our business sharply or cease operations altogether.’"

Read More: Could the End of Elio Motors Be In Sight? | Could the End of Elio Motors Be In Sight?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
It's a long one, but if anyone is actually interested, you should watch the video of the full committee meeting. I did, and my take on it doesn't really correspond to the news coverage at all. Kinda makes me wonder if the people writing the news even bothered to watch the whole meeting. If you can tell me who actually currently owns the old GM plant, then you watched a lot of the video.

If I had to summarize it briefly, yes Elio has been making optimistic claims for a long time that they haven't yet been able to follow though on, but that's not even the main issue with that facility remaining unused. Elio did purchase the movable equipment and had/have an agreement with the trust that was in control to use part of the facility, but they're not preventing any other companies from coming in and they don't own any of the buildings. It's just that there's no other manufacturer's willing to come into Shreveport and pay for the place in spite of potential tax breaks being offered.

Basically, since the recession, everyone was hoping that some big car manufacturer was going to come in and start the whole place back up, but that never happened. It seems like at this point they're trying to re-purpose the buildings and sell off pieces to smaller companies, but I guess it takes a while.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
EDIT: Very interesting video link above of the committee meeting. I watched a couple hours , but fast forwarded through some of the various agency officials, and concentrated on Elio and the comments of Cedric Glover ; CEO Elio is held up as a willing pawn in a plan by the 'Racer' group that had failed with regard to uphold the fiduciary interests of the people. No viable tenants were installed at the facility and the recovering of assets and no jobs generated heaps of criticism.
Mr. Elio states job creation is on his agenda, and hopes the banks will come through with the missing $100M+. fwiw: CNG engine was mentioned but well off in time before it will likely see production. Compressor costs are proportionally very high.

fwiw:There are 2 employees at that 1.5Msqft empty plant now; the test car prototypes's are built out of Detroit.

Not an encouraging situation for Elio; if the company ever makes it to 'world domination' [<sic] as stated, it may well be a great miracle of the power of positive thinking if he gets his wish.

I definitely agree on media spin, much is designed for purely investment purposes. The hearing's got some choice moments, thanks for the link!
time =10:36 min.

UPDATE: January 2nd, 2017
ELIO...INTERESTING INFO... by Rusty78609

Elio, a Critical Comment

Cedric Glover , elected LA State Rep.official , former Mayor
Cedric Glover Talks Elio Motors Situation, 15:08 min.
"There is something that could be amiss here." CG.

_________

Good news?
Elio guys will not loose their money.
Trying to buy American, end up buying Canadian. $15K.
There is another company that will honor Elio's deposit. "Electo Meccannica SOLO Canadian made all electric in Elio guys future.

Vancouver BC electric 3 wheeler; website :Solo an electric car from Electra Meccanica - Electra Meccanica

Question of 3-Wheels in winter crosses my mind: this CAN-AM SPYDER rider seems to have the conception.
World First Can-Am Spyder in a Snow Storm - Tempête de neige COOL!!!
Sorry no drone shots of the tracks Jean-Francois D'Amour made in 2010! but it would have been a hoot! Salute!
^^ this is a Hint.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
OTC Markets | Official site of the OTCQX, OTCQB and OTC Pink Marketplaces featuring Free Stock & Bond Quotes, Trade Prices, Chart, Financials and Company News & Information for Investors, Companies and Traders - OTCMarkets.com
search: "ELIO"
'If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck ...' just sayin' eh!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Why not a kit and add your own engine and assembly?
I would think doing all electric it would have a good range
A kit motorcycle? Popular Mechanics must have some prototypes. It's a totally different market then a turnkey car, [er.. motorcycle]

100 mile range [for a Cdn made facsimile projected]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Build your own space frame car

My avatar is a picture of my "lowcost" a Lotus 7 replica. Lowcosts are built from the frame up using 3/4 x 3/4 rectangular steel tubing for the space frame. See my website for details of my build.

The locost website forum is here

The Eloi chassis really looks like their version of a three wheel locost. Don't worry about can you buy an Elio chassis ........... build your own to fit the drivetrain you have in mind.

100++ mpg? It's already been done with a locost using a turbo charged diesel garden tractor engine running on cooking oil.

See Kinetic Vehicles

Jack at kineticvehicles has the body work and many other pieces to build a lowcost. He is a very reputable member of the locost forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts