Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I averaged just a hair over 50mpg on this last tank. Anything I can do to improve upon this number?

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm ecstatic over the current mileage. But if there is something in my driving style or an easy mod that I can do to help out then I'm all ears.

Tire pressure is around 42psi, we stick to Eco mode religiously, climate control is kept off if possible, I keep my highway speed around 66-67 (65mph hwy), "sort of" hyper mile by coasting towards light when at all possible, never use cruise control as we seem to get much better mileage when in control, and keep the car empty of cargo except absolute necessities. Our daily commute is a mix of city and highway with relatively flat roads.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Welcome aboard. MPG doesnt pick up til at least 10 thousand miles. Everything impacts mpg, the weight of oil used, miles travel on said oil, ambient temperature, state of starter battery under the hood, any extra electrical loads like driving with your lights on, defrosters or accessories plugged into the accessory port. Even gas makes a difference, we find BP gas works best, regular grade. I have seen a 5mpg different when I use sheetv, wawa, citgo, hell, wilco, wilcox, arco just to name a few.

You mpg is not that bad considering your speed. If you block part of your grill, try some more air in your tires and coast a bit further as well as switch gas brands you could hit 60mpg. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you use to block part of the grill? I'm assuming it doesn't have any serious effect on the car's ability to keep cool?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
My very first try was using duct tape as that was all I had when I got my car back from the repair shop 2 years ago when it was wrecked and my father died and we lost our home. Previously I had coloroplast cut to shape used zip ties to attached.

Since Ive found the coloroplast and reattached it, but in a manner in conjuunction with the license plate so its adjustible. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Radiator block

My very first try was using duct tape as that was all I had when I got my car back from the repair shop 2 years ago when it was wrecked and my father died and we lost our home. Previously I had coloroplast cut to shape used zip ties to attached.

Since Ive found the coloroplast and reattached it, but in a manner in conjuunction with the license plate so its adjustible. :D
Any chance of a pic or two? I know this isn't rocket science, but I'm no rocket scientist either. Thx. -- JC

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Here you go. Sorry, I do not know how to find your own videos in youtube app then copy and paste the link in the autoguide app on my ipod touch 4. :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The temperatures out here have plunged pretty low just like the rest of the country. With the temps in the teens our gas mileage has plummeted as well. So on the way home I stopped at Lowes and picked up a length of the rubber pipe insulation. I opted for the full rubber with adhesive seams instead of the foam without adhesive. I cut it to fit with slots to fit over the braces that keep the two lower air dam ribs centered. Once it was all cut to fit I pulled the tape off the adhesive and installed it - two pieces. Now instead of the whole air dam being about 5" of wide open space it's about 1/2" on the top and maybe 3/4 on the bottom. I'm pretty confident that it won't be detrimental to any cooling as the full upper grill area is still wide open. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be just as cold if not colder so hopefully we can test it out. I'll try to snap a picture or two tomorrow in case anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Yes, MPG will go into the gutter with below freezing temperatures. I am confidence you can block the whole grill and as long as you run the heater you will be fine in regards to worries about over heating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts