Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this on my website http://ostermiller.org/thefjm.html and I thought you might enjoy it:

I bought a hybrid electric Honda Insight when they first came out in 2000. In addition to the amazing dual gas/electric technology, the car has a sleek aerodynamic design, wheel covers over the rear tires, flashy silver paint, and an antennae centered on the roof that give it a futuristic look. I call my car "The FJM". Here is the story of how it was named.

I came out from a lunch shop behind two real hicks. They were local painters wearing splattered overalls who had never even imagined anything like this car could actually exist. The opened the door of the sandwich shop, saw the car in front of them, and stopped dead in their tracks blocking the doorway.

One put his hands on his hips, turned to the other and said, "What the F--K is that? A f--kin' Jetson Mobile?".

They wanted to see it and they asked the usual questions. "Do you have to plug it in?" (no), "What gas mileage do you get?" (62 mpg), "Do you like it?" (yes). They were pretty skeptical after it all, but they did name my car for me, so I thank them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

The above post reminds me of the questions I still get with my current car (a 03 MINI Cooper S). I got so tired of answering them that I made a bumper sticker up for the meets.

Now why am I here? To find out about the insight.
Last summer I took a driving school course in Toronto and I got the chance to ride in an insight (Thanks G). Since then I have wanted one.
But before I take the plunge I have decided to look around and find the good and bad points about these little wonders.

Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
348 Posts
For one thing German money wasn't spent, the engine wasn't engineered in Brasil and the car wasn't completed in good old England :wink:

Just straightforward Honda workmanship 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Jack07734:

___Well, first thing you would have to do is change out the bumper sticker …
  • It is a Honda Insight[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
  • Honda hand builds them in Japan[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
  • It can give you over 100 mpg once in a while ;)[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
  • They cost $20,380 w/ A/C new and ~ $10,000 Used in Good condition[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
  • This 5-speed has a 67 HP ICE and 6 HP worth of Battery Assist[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
  • Yes, it is fast enough[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
  • Yes, it is fun to drive[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
  • Even if you ask me, you can’t drive it because you will trash my current tanks fuel economy :D[/*:m:4e11rrr2]
___The Honda Insight Features and Specifications page in the Encyclopedia should get you started with enough detail to start searching the forum for answers to just about any question you can think of …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:4e11rrr2][email protected][/email:4e11rrr2]

·
Registered
700 Posts
deadsea said:
I came out from a lunch shop behind two real hicks. They were local painters wearing splattered overalls who had never even imagined anything like this car could actually exist. The opened the door of the sandwich shop, saw the car in front of them, and stopped dead in their tracks blocking the doorway.

One put his hands on his hips, turned to the other and said, "What the F--K is that? A f--kin' Jetson Mobile?".....
Ha Ha! Classic...

I think I know those guys....

·
Registered
2 Posts
No. 166 said:
For one thing German money wasn't spent, the engine wasn't engineered in Brasil and the car wasn't completed in good old England :wink:

Just straightforward Honda workmanship 8)

The purpose of my post wasn't ment to start a my car is better than yours thread.

I am sharing it to as an example of how I delt with being asked the same old questions over and over. Nothing more.

Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jack07734 said:
.... and find the good and bad points about these little wonders.

So, absolutely NO bashing from my side :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
webmaecker said:
and you wonder why i moved from florida to california
You obviously don't live in Bakersfield, California. I get the good o'l boy bubba treatment every time I go to the gas station. But, I spend as much time as bubba needs to understand how our Insights work. I even open the hood for them, if they ask. If I can get one Okie out of his old gas guzzling, smoke belching pick-up truuuck into a hybrid, I have somehow saved a very, very tiny part of the planet and denied some OPEC scumbag a small part of his profits.

Jack07734: By the way, I think the Mini Coopers are COOL! After seeing "The Italian Job", I have wanted one ever since. If they only made a Hybrid mini!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome my mini cooper friend! My fiance and I REALLY liked the mini when we saw it at the auto show, but we have a 100 mile a day commute, and gas mileage won out (also, finding a 2001 CVT demo with 3800 miles for $13500 helped). We already have too many cars, but I could really have fun in the mini. The Insight is way better than many would think for fun to drive, and the CVT is alot better than most here let on. I HATE automatics, but this one is really neat, no shifting, engine always hooked up, makes precision driving easier. I have seen over 109 mph in mine, and it was just as quiet as at 60. Only real handicap is weak rear springs, but I am working on that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
First week I had the insight I got pulled over for 60 in a 35 (in my defence it goes to 55 1/4 mile away from where I got clocked) and the cop was like "well i caught you speeding and was starting to write the ticket but I noticed a problem.... WHAT THE HELL IS IT?" I replied and even offered to let him drive it.. but I still got the ticket (and had it fixed) and now that he realizes that I own property in my little town and not one of the punk colledge student's I never get pulled over any more just a wave?

A simalar situation there was a prison break and road blocks were set up they got to me and the sherrif said: "well we dont need to search his car" ( SUV's and larger trucks were pulled over waiting for a dog to sniffem ) "he couldent get another person in there." "Sir Ma'am you have a nice evening" and waved me by to the annoyed faces of suv driving soccer moms waiting in line :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts