Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
32 Posts
Bull Dog - I'm currently building a 2001 Insight into an endurance race car and am strongly considering doing the HCH trans swap. Since I'll likely be "working from home" this week I might swing by a few pick-n-pull yards and see what I can find. Are they all the same? Will I need to get any shifter or clutch parts to go along with it or will everything transfer over? Any insights for doing this swap myself are welcome (pun intended). I'm looking purely for performance. Fuel economy is important, but a distant second in priority at the moment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Amazing thread, great mods. I hate how narrow the lean burn window is. Does it allow lean burn at higher speeds? I feel like I can lean burn at 65 okay, but at 70 it's a lot more difficult. How is that top end affected?

·
Registered
03 Insight MT, 94 BMW E34T, 81 Hilux, 73 Ford P400
24 Posts
Wow. Impressive work and even more impressive presentation. Threads like this should be held up as a standard for forums. The responses show you're not just a lone nut talking to a wall, but that there's a community of people who care to get this involved in the inner workings of these machines, in their function more than just their form. That's more than I can say for some other forums. I'm honored to've joined this one.

This was fun to read for me. I've spent a lot of time staring at transmission ratio spreadsheets, have contemplated gear changes on every single rig I've owned, and done at least one on about half. Gearing is worth getting fussy about.

Went to replace the engine in my new ZE1 and found the input shaft felt like a disconnected shifter, and the trans internals sad broken marbles. So I need a gearbox anyway, and I dislike close-ratio boxes (especially in a 5-speed, rather than a 6), so the HCH swap makes sense. It has a bigger ISB and thicker case; do the bearings last longer?

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Given that you indicated an intetion to go gas only in you main build thread, I would consider doing an HCH trans swap. I have a thread on this too.

Many of the bearings in the HCH trans are bigger (and more expensive) than the ones in the Insight. That doesn't necessarily mean they will last longer however.

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Also, given the fitment issues I discussed in my HCH thread, you could also consider swapping an HCH ring gear, countershaft (the pinion), as well as the 3rd and 4th gear sets from an HCH trans into an Insight case.

This has been done before and it works fine.

Either way, I would advocate budgeting in a complete set of bearings and plan to do a complete soup to nuts rebuild.

·
Registered
03 Insight MT, 94 BMW E34T, 81 Hilux, 73 Ford P400
24 Posts
I hear you regarding both the HCH swap and the notion of doing a full rebuild right off the bat. I'm in a bit of a time crunch and just got a replacement Insight box. Currently debating between throwing it in as is, hoping for a deal on an HCH box that I won't know about until Wednesday and installing that whole, or rebuilding the HCH. I definitely want the more even gear spread, less certain about the taller final drive.

Every single gear change I've done has been for a taller top ratio (such as this one) and generally taller overall. IMO, most vehicles are overgeared (too short); there seems to be a widespread unspoken cultural aversion to downshifting, an expectation of being able to lazily floor it in any gear. The Insight is different, though. I've only briefly driven one, and I think its IMA was working. With a gas-only Insight, do you think stock fifth gear is reasonable?

What's your opinion on the relative merits of building a trans based on the HCH, compared to the Insight's gearbox, if gears can be the same in either?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts