Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History below, summary at the bottom:

As some of you may know, I posted several weeks ago about our parked insight being carelessly crushed by a backing suburban. Didn't have a chance to snap pics, but imagine King Kong punching the little car about the height of the license plate and caving in the rear bumper to the point the rear hatch would barely close.

Fast forward a few weeks. We (me and the wife) pick the car up at the body shop. Repair looks pretty nice - the damage was limited to the bumper cover, so it alone got replaced and repainted. Paint matches nice (for now) - until you get under a metal halide or sodium street light - then it is some orange color and the rest of the car takes on a maroon hue.

About 10 miles away from the repair shop, the IMA light comes on. Wife says "I thought it was driving a little funny when we left the shop, but was paying more attention to the rush-hour city traffic and thought it might just be from driving the loaner car for the previous week"

I had a chance to pull the code and it shows P1447 which I see is the "code of death" for the IMA battery. The wife claims the car now seems to be driving normally - showing assist and charge on the gauge.

SUMMARY - Idiot backed into our car in a parking lot. 10 miles from the repair shop the IMA light comes on with code of death P1447. But the car seems to be running OK now.

Questions - Can the P1447 code be reset with a normal scanner? Can it be an intermittent code because the car seems to be operating normally now.

I told the wife to get ahold of the insurance co and at least advise them of what has happened. I don't know that a good rear-ending could cause a P1447, but don't know that it couldn't either.

As always - looking for the infinite insight of the insight forums!

Corey

PS - as info it's a 2000 which just turned over 90K miles

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the more reading I do, it seems as though it is a free replacement under honda warranty. May be best to chalk it up to an incredible coincidence between the crash and the IMA and let Honda fix it all up.

·
Administrator
12,279 Posts
Code of death.

This is interesting and seems to be associated with the vehicle being layed up for some weeks. Something I experienced and reported to this forum. I suspect the varying sub pack self discharge variations and the battery management module getting confused are to blame, and that probably with a reset the battery would recover and re-balance in regular use.

Was the IMA battery weak before the incident?

How long was the car off the road?

Get a new battery under warranty by all means, but try to hang on to the old one as well. I would try to avoid letting them change the BCU if you can, reports seem to suggest the new programming is a retrograde step, aimed at increasing life at the expense of useable IMA and MPG.

Peter

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If the body shop but your car in the curing oven to dry the paint. But did not follow the strict instructions on the door label stating the maximum temperature allowed, they might have "cooked" the battery pack.
Just mentioning a posibility.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Code of death.

retepsnikrep said:
Get a new battery under warranty by all means, but try to hang on to the old one as well.
Not likely they will let you keep the old batteries. I asked when mine were replaced and they they told me they had to be sent back to Honda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts