Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just perusing craigslist for Insights and came across this statement:

"The original IMA system is intact and working, the original owner installed a wideband O2 sensor that traded a few MPGs for extended battery life."

Is it just me or does this make no sense at all? I see stuff like that all the time in Insight ads. It's like people are totally full of... malarkey.

Here's a link to the ad. Not a bad looking car... 2000 Honda Insight - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive...

·
Registered
664 Posts
OK, so the guy is either stupid or a BS'er. The car looks clean. I'd say it is worth a drive over to see. And if it looks and drives well, then a trip to a trusted mechanic. Or bring an Insight wizard with you. The price is good. And short of a flux capacitor, a wideband O2 sensor is as super science as you can get outside of a government black project.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
My favorite is I tell someone it is a hybrid and half the time they say, "So it's an electric." Well not exactly.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mentioned that I see this kind of thing "all the time" in Insight ads. It dawned on me for a moment today why this is the case: I think people are, like, subconsciously trying to make excuses for the IMA pack, to preempt what they think is going to be a sticking point for potential buyers - the IMA, a bad battery... So this guy slips in the idea that something's been done (doesn't matter what or that it makes no sense) to make the battery last longer. Potential buyer reads that, and not knowing any better, here it is, some balm that will assuage fears of a bad battery...

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
49 Posts
I see this all the time in a lot of vehicle adverts, unfortunately; people who don't really know what they're talking about, but are trying to sound like they are by stringing random words together. It probably sounds intelligent and reassuring to your average Joe who also had absolutely no idea how a vehicle works, much less an Insight.

When I see an advert with this kind of nonsense verbal spaghetti in it, I tend to interpret it as 'This vehicle has probably been poorly maintained, at least by its current owner, and the seller is probably at least a little dishonest'

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used to tell people mine ran on nothing but electricity and gasolune fumes but stopped when Nathan came along!

I also used to work in technology. When somebody started spinning the non-sequitors I'd ask "can you explain that in more detail," sit back, and enjoy the show.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
225 Posts
My maintenance tell-tales:. I won't buy a vehicle with wiper tracks in the windshield. Somebody who can't be bothered to change wiper blades probably didn't do much routine maintenance.

I also check the FM radio presets. I've had good luck with cars where FM1 preset was NPR.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ha, my FM1 preset is NPR.
NPR is the second on mine because my spouse likes old pop songs better. It’s my car but her radio, apparently...

·
Registered
34 Posts
If I'm disinclined to buy the vehicle after I check it out, I like to play on their malarky and tell them something off the wall about the car, trusting they will carry THAT forward too.... Like referencing the "flux capacitor" or saying "you know, even after the IMA battery is dead, they have really high value, if you pull them yourself, you can sell them on e-bay for like $100 each!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My favorite comment on eBay posts is "Rust free."

You don't say.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's some more gems, from one craigslist ad:

America’s original hybrid, only 6000 left on the road!!!
How do we know that?

We all know these engines go for half a million miles if taken care of !!!
May-be, but I doubt we all know that...

Ima battery is perfect condition
*That is, if "perfect" means currently no IMA light.

Here's a link. This one's actually not a bad looking car either - minus the astroturf: 2003 Honda Insight hybrid - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

ooh, actually I take that back: It has a big dent in passenger side. And really, look at the way the car is parked: Is it merely coincidence that the car is parked with the shadow from the house intersecting the dented area, so it messes with the light and obscures the dent? That's some shady stuff...

·
Registered
664 Posts

How do we know that?

Here's a link. This one's actually not a bad looking car either - minus the astroturf: 2003 Honda Insight hybrid - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

ooh, actually I take that back: It has a big dent in passenger side.
Looks like an automatic

How do we know that?

ooh, actually I take that back: It has a big dent in passenger side.
automatic transmission

Reactions: Joule

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Yeah, automatic. What's funny here is that the next ad is the same car - listed for $500. When you get to the bottom of that ad it says this: "THIS CAR WAS SOLD TO A GUY IN KENT. HE IS TRYING TO FLIP IT WITHOUT ADDRESSING THE KNOWN ISSUES. (HE POSTED THE NEXT DAY AFTER SALE OF VEHICLE)"

So apparently I've really struck gold with this "shady" tag - the ad I first mentioned is the 'flipper', who doesn't mention any of the problems in the original original ad...

·
Registered
437 Posts
And now the linke eq1 provided says:
This posting has been deleted by its author.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There's one on Hudson Valley Craigslist now for that ever-elusive "automatic" that makes some interesting claims about the virtues of a replacement IMA battery pack.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
^ "Own a first generation hybrid! Low miles second owner NEW HYBRID BATTERY battery alone costs 5k and makes these cars “new” for another 20 years. 70 MPG" 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

"new for another 20 years" is a bit of a stretch... And only a fool would pay $5000 for a new pack.

What baffles me is, one, the 'psychology' it must take to actually believe these sorts of claims will help sell the car, and/or two, the psychology that would believe these claims and actually buy it. It's like living in total La La Land.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Insight MT
610 Posts
$5000 for a new pack? 20 years? Must be a new lithium drop in! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Getting past the hyperbolic ad copy -- CVT w/82k and a replacement pack could be worth a look.

The Hudson Valley CL post says the car is in Rye, NY.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hard to tell from pics alone, but it looks like it could have 82k miles. Could be a not-very-well-maintained 82k. You'd have to have proof of a replacement pack for it to be worth the asking. etc etc...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts