Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the few flaws (that we could find) in the 2001 Insight that we bought a few weeks ago was the the previous owner apparently didn't care for the idea of floor mats. The good news is that the car had not quite 30K miles on it. The bad news is that 30K miles is still enough to wear an ugly spot in that cheesy standard carpeting.

My wife (who will probably drive the car more than I will) is really set on getting some mats that have a little flair (the car is red). But the only mats we've found like that are universal...and I'd really like to have mats that have a good chance of fitting the floor and not sliding all around. However, all of the Insight-specific mats we've found are all black or a very dark gray....with no trim, no accent, no relief at all.

Is that pretty much what's out there if I stick to my guns on the mats being fitted? Or has anyone found any Insight-specific mats with any visual interest to them?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just got Honda factory accessory Insight mats, and they are a light gray with the sylized word "Insight" on them. They are not flashy, but are very nice.

Why they don't come with the car standard is completely beyond me.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The factory mats are all that properly fit. The drivers side one also comes with an anchor that goes under the front edge of the seat which prevents the mat from sliding forward

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ethicalpaul said:
I just got Honda factory accessory Insight mats, and they are a light gray with the sylized word "Insight" on them. They are not flashy, but are very nice.

Why they don't come with the car standard is completely beyond me.
Well, I've bought many a car where the only thing standard was the base carpet...and, of course, the dealers are all too happy to sell you the mats (and the cargo deck covers and the cargo nets...and...and...)

But what seems unfortunate is that the factory carpet is so shoddy. OTOH, I guess that goes with the territories of low weight, low price, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was going to start a string on the floor mats / cargo mat but this seams like the perfect place for my rant. After getting my ’06 a few weeks ago I was able to order the floor mats and cargo mat at a good price. The dealers don’t have these in stock, I guess that is reasonable when you consider they only see one or two Insights a year. The floor mats fit good and are a reasonable color match to the carpet. However the cargo mat looked bluish to me when I was putting it in at work (I had them shipped there).

I pulled one of the floor mats and put it on the cargo mat and sure enough the cargo mat looks blue. I did a little research and apparently the original interior color was more blue than tan (I don’t think the tan carpet is that tan, looks kind of grey to me).

I figured I must have ordered the wrong part number for the cargo mat. I was able to have a look at the Honda microfiche to check the part number against what I ordered. It appears that the part number did change about 2 years ago for the floor mats but not the cargo mat. This seamed odd, the interior is not a 2 tone scheme that changes from front to back.

I went back to the car and flipped the mats over to see if there was a color code or something on the back side. They have a die maintenance marker on the back. This is a thing where the factory making the actual parts (probably a sub supplier to Honda) has a date box that gets a punch mark every time they do maintenance on the tooling. The interesting part was that the floor mat was last punched in ’06, meaning that the parts where made this year. The cargo mat was last punched in ’99. So I assume that the cargo mat manufacturer made a bunch of parts based on Hondas sales predictions for the first year but has been stuck with them ever since. Then when the color changed they did not bother to update the cargo mat for fear of getting stuck with more of them.

So I have a cargo mat that doesn’t match, I will probably keep it as it is not that far off and it was sort of cheap. But Honda is stuck with a truck load of cargo mats that they have not been able to move since last century. The last part makes me feel a little better.

By the way, I noticed that the clip to secure the drivers side floor mat is sold separately for the earlier mats but is included with the newer mats.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The front mats are for the current interior color, while the back mat is for the older color. I have both and frankly, unless you really look, you won't even notice it. Some people claim that the rear mat reduces noise a bit but I don't really notice that, either, so if I were to do it again I probably wouldn't even get the rear mat.

FYI my mats didn't come with the hook. That was about a year ago...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts