Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not heard this mentioned, so maybe I am the only once to experience this. Has anyone else noticed that while sitting, the Insight tends to groan? If you are near the car at the exact right moment, you can hear a semi-soft groaning noise that sounds as if someone had pinched off the mouth of a balloon. The timing of these groans is sometimes random, but at least one will be produced every hour.

It seems part of the evaporative emissions system venting the fuel tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've heard that in the garage before. Like a faint creaking door sound.

I remember thinking it was odd that the car was still "doing something" long after a drive.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
I have not heard this mentioned, so maybe I am the only once to experience this. Has anyone else noticed that while sitting, the Insight tends to groan? If you are near the car at the exact right moment, you can hear a semi-soft groaning noise that sounds as if someone had pinched off the mouth of a balloon. The timing of these groans is sometimes random, but at least one will be produced every hour.

It seems part of the evaporative emissions system venting the fuel tank.
I experience it all the time when the car is in the garage. A very strange sound. Seems to do it after the hatch is opened and closed. Sometimes I'll open the door to the garage and it will make the noise, but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from.

G

·
0 Posts
I've thought that I've heard groaning noises under the passenger seat while driving.

I first put it down as a toy the child left running that was under the seat. After looking for it and not finding it I went to the next logical choice...

"It's the ghost of a Japanese autoworker that died making my car." I'd tell you what it was moaning about but it doesn't happen all that much and I don't know Japanese.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Never heard it, but now you'll have me listening for it.

G

·
0 Posts
for me it was a medium pitched groan like something small was whirring or grinding and possibly semi-struggling about it. now that I think about it.. it happened while the car was on and just turned off.

for me it was most likely the 'battery core' fan barely turning on.. i drive in the SF Bay area where temps require little battery cooling to operate?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I hope my Insight does not start this moaning or groaning sound for I have endured this on my micro honda pick-up for age's. It sounds like breaking wind and can happen at anytime but mostly out of doors while sitting.Im sure my neighbors wonder what on earth is going on.Is this just common to Hondas?
This sound on the pick-up has been traced to gas expansion in the tank(see I was right) due to heat build up (the sun)and the subsequent escape from a sealed system past one of the seals thus making this sound.
Before sealed systems (for emission reasons) this would not have occured.

DGate

·
Registered
113 Posts
haha, I get the same thing! mine is a lot louder now though. if I make a sudden stop I can really hear it. I think it started just as creeking, with a steady tempo - in fact it sounds a lot like a container full of liquid rocking back and forth on bad joints. and sometimes instead of a creak it will groan

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to believe the groan occurred more often after you did something with the car like opening the hatch or doors. What I realized is that you just hear it more often since you are near the car. It does happen at all times, basically randomly. I can be sitting on the portch and hear "eeeewwwwwwwaaaahhhhh" from the driveway. Others have asked about it as well.

After checking the service manual on the weekend, it seems that it is the emissions system venting the fuel tank. The farting noise is generated by a diaphragm in the check valve.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whoops!

Dang, well there goes our greenhouse emissions rating :roll:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason for the groan is to prevent fuel vapours from reaching the atmosphere. The noise is pressure being equalized, while vapours are stored in the charcoal canister to be burned next time the engine runs. So it's still a closed system.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Hey guys, I had been here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2056

discussing what the thread title called a whirling sound.
I suspect they could be the same sounds. My Insight did it last night when I opened the passenger door to put in my lunch sack before leaving for work. Parked in the garage out of the sun. Leave for work after dark. I was curious about the gas tank pressure relief possibility, so I popped the fuel door and loosened the cap, and it equalized like when I fill up with gas. How does this fuel tank pressure/vapor recovery/vent, etc., etc, work. Or better yet.....how is it_SUPPOSED_ to work :?:

Randall

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to check my manual at lunch today since the Insight's EVAP system works a little differently then most.

But in general, the fuel tank is vented to a charcoal canister through a check valve. When enough pressure build in the tank (ie. during filling or on a hot day) the check valve opens and the vapours flow into the canister. When the engine is operating, vacuum or a soneloid opens and allows the vapours in the canister into the intake to be burned.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Thanks Aaron,
I have looked at the SM, but all I gather from there is how to check voltages, pressures and vaccums, for DTC's. And the what to replace stuff.
It shows a vent valve under the hood, so I'm thinking that is where it vents from, thus the noise from under the hood :?: .
As it turns out, I was in the garage a few minutes early this evening, to set out the trash, and the Insight relieved itself again in my presence :oops: . I cracked the gas cap open again, and it equalized like the night before.
My questions as to how the system works, comes from trying to understand that if it is relieving gas tank pressure difference, why does it equalize when I loosen the gas cap after the_farting_noise. Is it tank pressure that is in question, or fuel line pressure between the pump and injectors, left over from shutdown?, or ?
Randall

An interesting item from the read of the SM; all of the tests are to be done with slightly less than full tank, and they suggest adding at least 1gal of fresh fuel to the tank. Something about fresh fuel being more volital(sp)..............hhmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
YES! THAT's what it was!

I'm usually doing something in the garage, so whatever noise is going on drowns out any soft utterings from my cars. But about a month ago, I was waiting quietly for My Beloved to drive up so I could help with the groceries she had bought... and our Insight, yeah, GROANED! Or at least it came from its direction, puzzling me... Then she drove up and I forgot about it. And I had not driven the Insight that day (but it was kind of hot outside, and I had just popped the garage door open)! Weird... thanks, I'll cancel the exorcist now... :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
insight groan

I went to the gas station for $3.00 worth of gas and the clerk made the same noise and gave me a receipt! :lol:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but i just was in my garage the other day and noticed this noise again. I rocked the car a little and heard the gas moving around. After a few seconds the car made the noise again. Looks like i found the answer. i wonder if shutting the garage door (not the large one, normal door door) changes the pressure in the garage enough to cause this. basically just pushing the pressure "over the edge". well sorry for reviving old threads but i thought some of the newbies (including me) could use the read.

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts