Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This procedure disables BOTH airbags. (driver's and passenger's).

Whom ever attempts this procedure, does so at his (or her) own risk (serious injury or death included).

Once a week, I have to transport my 9 month old daughter 1 mile to the baby sitters and back. Because of this reason, I disable both my airbags, risking serious injury to myself rather than my daughter.

With the ignition off, locate the under-the-dash fuse box. pull 10A fuse in position #1 (SRS fuse). When you turn the ignition on, the SRS light should stay lit. You have now disabled your your airbag system (not guaranteed).

When you are ready to bring the airbag system back online, you cannot just simply re-install the SRS fuse. You must follow the airbag reset procedure. You must locate the yellow MES service plug within the under-the-dash fuse box and follow the procedure as directed in your Helms manual.

credit macsmurray h-t

You have now reenbabled the airbag system.

Mods, please review and delete if nessary.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Removing the fuse is not considered an adequate way to disable the airbag. I heard that there is a very remote but real probability that static can cause the air bag to trigger during a collision when the air bag fuse has been removed.

But most likely your solution should be ok, maybe 999 times out of a 1000.
So don't crash too many times.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Nothing to edit or delete. Although it needed to be moved. ;)

However the "pic" can fail to fully load (too big). Youl needed to "translate" it to text for your post to have any value since without the information you won't be able to clear the code that is set by this technique.

Guillermo's got the big picture too. This approach to airbag management isn't without its pitfalls. And if it fails someone can be seriously hurt or killed :!: There are a couple of LARGE capacitors in the control unit designed to store a sufficent charge for deployment just in case the B+ fails in an accident. Capacitors by design like to try and attract electrons. Even with the B+ disconnected they _may_ be able to "collect" a sufficent enough charge for deployment.

There are aftermarket airbag cut-off switches available for the passengers airbag when needed.

HTH! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts