Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Although it's great to see Honda finally produce a new hybrid, I'm still hoping Honda won't use the Insight name. It will take away from the individuality of our cars. When we tell people we drive an Insight, they won't assume it's one of our modern classics but rather one of these new cars. :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
I suppose we will need to begin referrering to ourselves as owners of the "two-seater" Insight, or perhaps the Insight "Generation One", or maybe even "the Original" Insight! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
It does appear that we're loosing the name recognition (looks like Honda is going to recycle the name).

And that the CR-Z is going to take "our" place. Being a previous CRX HF owner I always thought of the Insight as more of a progression of the HF's design. IMO I think that the name confusion will ultimately add to "the real" Insights' mystique.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that along with it's features and performance, the "Original" Insight will be around a lot longer than the "New" Insight.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fred said:
I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that along with it's features and performance, the "Original" Insight will be around a lot longer than the "New" Insight.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Hope so, only time will tell

·
Premium Member
9,759 Posts
To me the concept CR-Z hybrid looks more like the "insight" than any other vehicle, especially in the side profile.
Take a "modern" 1.5L Fit engine add a hybrid system for mileage, then a "turbo" for horsepower and you would have a high performance sportscar that get exceptional mileage. 8)

I can only dream.
Willie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Willie Williford said:
To me the concept CR-Z hybrid looks more like the "insight" than any other vehicle, especially in the side profile.
Take a "modern" 1.5L Fit engine add a hybrid system for mileage, then a "turbo" for horsepower and you would have a high performance sportscar that get exceptional mileage. 8)

I can only dream.
Willie
Add a lithium-ion battery system and we can both dream about the same car!! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
The taillights have an uncanny resemblance to the original Insight. I really appreciate that little touch. The only thing I'm not thrilled about, however, is this from the press release:

"CO2 emissions and fuel economy are targeted to be at a similar level to the existing Civic Hybrid"

The new Insight isn't going to be a super fuel-efficient car; it's a car for the masses instead. Tradeoffs.... :doubt:

·
Registered
52 Posts
The new Insight is hardly exciting news for existing Insight owners.

Usually a model deemed a successor improves on the previous generation.
As we all know this car is a successor in name only.

The original Insight was an engineering example or a production proof of concept.
It was founded on low mass, high efficiency, and high MPG.

This model is a half hearted attempt at trying to get a piece of the Toyota market share. Given the market right now it may not be as big as Honda thinks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dezoris said:
This model is a half hearted attempt at trying to get a piece of the Toyota market share. Given the market right now it may not be as big as Honda thinks.
DUH :roll: Honda wants a piece of the money pie also! Its a really nice car and I will be at my dealership when it arrives to check it out. Bad mouthing it now is just silly. A high effeciency 4 passenger Insight makes total economic sense :!: So what if its not the engineering marvel we currently own.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
ibjeff said:
A high effeciency 4 passenger Insight makes total economic sense :!: So what if its not the engineering marvel we currently own.
So what??? ... well all I can say is.... I'm a geek :!: :lol: ... an 8 year old engineering marvel that gets better MPG than the latest version ... just screams appeal to both the tree hugger and the geek in me.... with only the Twike and Aptera being back up singers.. :D ... but to be fair ... me and my other geek tree hugging breatheren are less than 1% of the population.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think it is perfect for todays family market :!: Looks like it has lots of needed interior space for a family! :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
james said:
Nothing wrong with the car itself, or building a car for the family market. The problem is with calling that new car an Insight, instead of building a real second-generation Insight for those of us who are not in the market for a family car.
I agree.

OTOH, saying “Original Insight” isn’t so bad.

We can all start practicing now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts