Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, its been too long since my last post, but I figured I would drop in and share my citrus Insight with full air suspension. A few of you may know that I once worked as an air suspension design engineer, and as such, decided to ditch the floppy stock suspension in favor of something that would NEVER bottom out agin, no matter what the load. Also, I added a receiver hitch, and build a lightweight aluminum trailer to pull behind it. From experience, dont add a hitch to you first generation Insight, unless you also plan on, or have already upgraded the drivetrain. In my opinion, It's just not worth it.

The suspension originally was meant to be on the RSX, but after some careful measurements and a couple days worth of after hours machining and fabrication, it all fit in there quite nicely.
The front required 1.5mm to be machined off either side of the knuckle, and new upper mount holes drilled, but ultimately, was the least work overall.
The rear was the hard part, and took much longer to find an air spring that would actually fit into the tiny space back there. Actually, we developed our own air spring to work with this car. The upper mounts were a bit of a challenge, but after some digging, I found a "T-bar" that was -.005" smaller diameter than the upper bearing that was used, witch was scavenged off of another set of struts, and machined to properly fit the rear upper mount, which was also scavenged from a different set of struts. The lower shock mount was cut off, and a new mount was made and welded into place, and the lower mount was once again replaced with an upper strut mount, that was scavenged off of a BMW set if memory serves me right.
The whole system is aired up using a digital control system, with a 2.5 gallon tank in the storage space in the rear, and haven't had a leak since the install 4 years ago. Sometimes I go several months without making a height adjustment, and the height stays exactly where its supposed to.
Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
Looks great for highway cruising. Must lower the drag significantly at that height. Maybe you could drive it over to Madison WI for InsightFest2018. It would certainly be a high point of the event.

I hope and suspect you can jack it up some for unreliable suburban streets;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant be sure about the added aero benefits, but I can say that my highway mpg is around 70, depending on speed. I usually cruise at 65mph on average on the freeway.

·
Super Moderator
1,544 Posts
Any chance you could post a picture of your aluminum trailer?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going through trailer photos, this one stuck out. Finished, yet unfinished. It's a modular design, and as such, it's missing the front and rear teardrop additions. I may be finishing it up this year though, as my several year old plan to make it out west is back on for July/august this year, but who knows. I may drive my civic and leave the trailer at home.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts