Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the quest for ultimate gas mileage, I have dedicated my life and energy. To that end, I have made the following modifications, adjustments, sacrifices, etc.

Aerodynamics:

Front Wheel Skirts. We have discussed this before, and the difficulty in creating a mechanism to allow for turning the wheels. Because such a mechanism would add weight, I just installed flat skirts and avoid turning the steering wheel more than a half-turn each way. I put a “vehicle makes wide turns” bumper sticker on the back.

Aero-dimples. I parked my car outside waiting for a hailstorm, but was unsuccessful. One never occurs when you want it to, so I just used a hammer.

Weight:

Every non-essential part was removed. This primarily refers to the interior, including carpet, headliner, door panels, and both seats. It was difficult to properly operate all the controls without the driver’s seat, so I placed an inflatable chair in the proper location.

I also removed the air-conditioning apparatus, as it is a frivolous comfort accessory. But since it becomes somewhat warm inside the car (I never lower the windows due to possible increased drag), I drive naked. I used to carry my clothes with me, and re-dress when I arrive at my destination, but I decided I could save that weight and just leave my clothes at home. Because I now am unable to actually get out of the car at my destination (not after that one incident…) this saves on the extra energy required to stop and start, and I just drive on back home.

Bare feet also helps with modulating the throttle to best advantage, since the “feel” is not dulled by a shoe and/or sock.

I always make sure to make a “pit-stop” prior to each trip. It is induced if necessary, and I avoid eating for at least 8 hours prior to any planned trip.

I map and measure each trip, and fill the car with only the amount of gas necessary for the trip. No more than that.

Engine:

Prior to each trip, I change the oil, and the air and oil filters. I wish to avoid the excess drag on the engine from dirt in each of those components. I toyed with the idea of changing each along the way also, but that would mean carrying extras with me, which would add excess weight.

Rolling resistance:

I intially tried inflating the tires to 100 psi with hydrogen, hoping to add some weight reduction. However, images of the Hindenburg kept popping into mind, so I switched to helium.

I was not satisfied with the performance of the helium, so I installed 4 motorcycle wheels, with solid rubber tires. Still not satisfied, I removed the rubber and use appropriate-sized metal rims. This, of course, hurts the ride-quality and turning grip, but remember I cannot turn the wheel much anyway due to the front wheel skirts.

Final results:
After all the work, I am disappointed to find that my car still requires fuel. If anyone has any suggestions for further methods to increase mileage, please, please let me know. Thanks :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Holicow:

___2 Suggestions that might help?

1. Move closer to work.
2. Walk.

___Then you can buy a Hummer and not be concerned with gas mileage ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1dk6q23e][email protected][/email:1dk6q23e]

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm fairly certain that this post wasn't serious, but I have to ask, what's an aero-dimple, and is there an actual benefit to them? Or did you just make that up?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Holicow-

1) Some folks have discussed pezio-electric battery recharging shock absorbers.
2) Xcel once mentioned putting up a sail.

Obviously you have not exhausted all possibilities…

Oh that gives me other thoughts…The methane content of flatulence and the thermodynamic differential of other hot air sources…

Keep trying, I have faith that you can get there, and when you do, all of us here deserve a cut of your royalties. :lol:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey dan, thanks for the suggestions, but they sound a little extreme for me...;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, they are for me too. So I just push my Insight wherever I go. Its not too bad, except for those darn recals… :wink:

·
Registered
804 Posts
If your power source can be anti-matter, you can save weight by getting rid of the wheels and the drive train and just levitate to your destination. :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Foxpaw said:
I'm fairly certain that this post wasn't serious...
No one believed Copernicus, either, so I don't feel so bad. Minds like ours are usually misunderstood.

Aero-dimples: check your local golf ball.

·
Registered
489 Posts
dan said:
Hi Holicow-

1) Some folks have discussed pezio-electric battery recharging shock absorbers.
2) Xcel once mentioned putting up a sail.

Obviously you have not exhausted all possibilities…

Oh that gives me other thoughts…The methane content of flatulence and the thermodynamic differential of other hot air sources…

Keep trying, I have faith that you can get there, and when you do, all of us here deserve a cut of your royalties. :lol:
*ahem* It was a inductive shock absorber. Piezo-electrics wouldn't make enough power. :wink:

A sail though, that's an awesome idea. Wouldn't work in the city, but on the highway that could work very well, as long as you had a way to store it aerodynamically when it wasn't in use.

*EDIT* Also I forgot to add, ultracapacitors would make for more efficient regen and assist. So that would improve mileage too.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___You guys got it all wrong … I just use my Mr. Fusion! You know the rest of the story :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:385w5v5w][email protected][/email:385w5v5w]

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Folks-

Now I think we are all getting sidetracked here. I believe the original goal was no fuel. It shouldn’t be too hard. IIRC Tesla had a system… :wink:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Foxpaw-

Thanks for your clarification (I was not aware of the potential differential). It seemed to me that the Piezio idea came up a couple of months before your post but I sure can’t find it now; dang those OT meanderings! I didn’t really like the idea of all of those sparks under the car anyway. :wink:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well if your goal is no fuel useage your missing the main culprit, the engine. Remove the engine and IMA system, bolt up a big electric motor to the transmission or engineer a direct drive gear reduction. An AC Propulsions system would really make the car move. Then get a small bank of ultracapacitors for those quick bursts of speed. The final step is to construct a small nuclear reactor behind the seats of the car where the IMA box was. Be sure to put plenty of radiation shielding between you and where the fuel rod would go, this might require concrete, but your still eliminating the need for fuel so the added weight won't matter.

Now put radioactive warning decals on the car and obtain a spent fuel rod from a nuclear power plant. This should be enough to propel the car for 50,000 miles at the least.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Rick said:
bolt up a big electric motor to the transmission or engineer a direct drive gear reduction. An AC Propulsions system would really make the car move.
Damn! I thought I was the only one to notice the AC Propulsion kit. When I get my Insight 2 in 2005/06 and the IMA pack fails on my existing Insight, I am intending to convert my existing Insight to all electric. Just think, with less engine weight, what my Insight could be like with a AC Propulsion 150kW motor.... :twisted:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was thinking of a newspaper boy size bag of rubber bands and a big winding key…

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I must say that judging from the impracticality of most suggestions (electric motor??? what planet are you from?), at least I am reassured that I haven't gone overboard...yet.
:p

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Christian, lets just say a AC propulsions 150 KW motor would require a different drive train to be fabricated (though they do already have one built for the Tzero). There's no way an Insight transmission could handle 150KW. In case you haven't seen it yet here's the known electric Insight conversion:

http://ev.whitecape.org/insight/

He's got a Siemens AC motor hooked to the original transmission, but it's only a 106hp max motor so we're not talking extreme power here, but enough to adequately move the car. I've also heard he now has the lithium batteries in the car which give it a range of almost 300 miles on a charge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts