Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2001 CVT “Cherry Bomb” 338K+ Miles
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am mostly making this post for motivation and so y’all can help keep me accountable 😆

My list of things to do for the Cherry seems to get longer each day and though working basically 3 jobs does keep me from getting it done, procrastination is still the greater enemy 🤓

I was asked during the meet in Maryland when discussing a few issues, “Do you want to make it run, or do you want to make it right?” Well, I’ve got her running. Now I want to make her right :)

My List thus far (quasi in order of importance but not in the order I will get it done lol):
  • Replace radiator and burp coolant- I’m so done with coolant!! But this one is done, yay! ✅
  • Replace tie rod end boots (they’re toast)
  • Install Scott’s front springs
  • Replace sway bar links (also toast) Done!
  • Check brakes and lines. Brakes feel a little soft and I detect a slight burning smell at times. Replaced rotors, pads, calipers, and fluid. Done! ✅
  • My mpg has dropped recently- track down the reason for that. Done! Sticking calipers were the culprit. ✅
  • Deep discharge HV battery (This should be #1 on the list but for some reason it’s a little daunting :) )
  • Fix exhaust leak. Done! ✅
  • Fix driver side window switch (this went out on my way back from the Maryland meetup 😪)
  • Fix dash lights- I don’t know the set up back there, but several indicators do not light up and at times, the middle section of the dash is darkened
  • Figure out why my hood, headlights, and bumper don’t align (This is not conducive to my ocd 🙃)
  • Fix ALL water leaks. I’m swimming…

• (Keeping an extra bullet here to continue adding 😂)

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Y’all believe I just drove 2300 miles with a rad like this? 😳 Thanks to @Bull Dog for pointing it out from a photo at the meet. Helping with maintenance and wasn’t even there 😆👊🏼
Automotive tire Tread Road surface Wood Brick

Wood Grille Rectangle Mesh Flooring

She’s purdy now ☺
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

The kids said that the engine swap was open heart surgery, and now this is dental work 😂❤

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@1036Project I’m a crazy list lady, I can’t focus without a list. I think I made like 3 just today (non car related) :)
It’s easy, uses the same harness and there are so many tutorials and step-by-steps for the discharge/charge process. Which, I think I’ve read them all by now, so Idky I’m nervous and putting it off. It’s stupid at this point, especially as it’s basically my last hope for this battery. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I was not aware of the state of the rad. You’ve got me beat as the craziest here by maybe just a couple points 😉

@Balto I’m glad you brought this up! I’ve been wondering about my brakes dragging. I definitely feel a lot of resistance, which I know my tires are low rn, but worse than that. I feel like she just wants to stop which feels awful lol. I’ve also checked the rim temps many times after various trips to town and have never felt a difference, so I bet it’s a similar situation. At least that’s an easy fix- I know what I’ll be ordering tomorrow haha. Thanks for that!!

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's going on with the exhaust?

She can at least try the brake drag check on the rear wheels.
I’ve got a pretty bad exhaust leak between the cat and head. I have the gasket there, but I think build up/rust on the cat is keeping it from sealing properly. Not sure, just smth else to investigate. All anyone could say at the meet is- well, it’s loud 😂

Reactions: Natalya

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you just need a new gasket, it seemed to be blowing out a significant amount of exhaust there as if part of the gasket was entirely compromised or folded over or something like that, though cleaning up the mating surfaces is definitely not a bad idea.
I’m not sure! I did get a new one from Bull Dog so we’ll see if a good cleaning and replacing the gasket helps. Thanks for helping me find that leak, btw! 🤪

Reactions: Shane M

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Bit by bit, knocking some stuff off the list. Got the sway bar links, one disk, and both sets of pads installed. The driver side disk still has its two screws and they’re impossibly rusted stuck. Will have to revisit that.The pads were toast and rotors like vinyl records :)
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Tread Automotive exterior

Artifact Wood Automotive tire Road surface Tints and shades

Hand Automotive tire Tire Wood Finger

Driver side on left, passenger on right.
Wall Gas Tints and shades Font Metal

Finger Wood Font Nail Thumb

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Bicycle part
New and old comparisons.
@Arbus, are Vans acceptable for this project? 😂😉

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hahhaha, I check my notifications and it’s showing all these Volvo comments, I was like whaaa? 😂 Naw, don’t worry guys, it’s fine. i don’t mind some sidetracks here and there! Helps me get my mind off things, ehhhh 🥲🥴

Thanks for all the tips as always, guys!
I’m gonna be back at it again bright and early tomorrow bc on my drive to work tonight, I could feel lots of drag on the passenger side, weird squeaking/ humming noice (not new brake squeak, I dont think), and the rim was QUITE hot compared to the other. So, I guess take it all apart again and see what’s up.
I know everything needs to “break” in (lol), but would excessive drag be normal? My mpg was terrible which of course, is the opposite of what I expected. Dad and I took everything apart when replacing the disk and pads, cleaned and greased everything back up, loosened and regreased the caliper pins, etc. I’ve done a lot of reading the past hour on it all, so I have some things I’ll try and look for when I take it apart, but I’m not sure what it could be.
Hopefully, I can get that other disk off tomorrow too. Wish me luck 😆

Reactions: Natalya

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I did fix my exhaust leak at least! It was coming from the side where I had put that new nut in and for some reason, I guess it wouldn’t tighten down all the way. Swapped it with an old one, manhandled it tight, and now it’s sealed properly. Hopefully, I won’t have to remove that ever 😂😂😂

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The side I’m having trouble with is the passenger side with both the new rotor and pads. And Julian already knows, but just to answer here, the pads and rotors are both from Isaac (btw, thanks for letting me pester you all day, Julian 😂).
To the best of my knowledge, the pins are fine and I think the line is fine. I do believe the problem is that the piston is partially seized. Waiting to hear a price from Isaac for a pair of used calipers, but might look into rebuilding. Trouble now is, I don’t have the van for back up as she’s at the mechanics rn (not me, a real mechanic 😂), so I’m on a serious time crunch.
Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Rim Wheel

This is the new disk today after just the one drive to work.

• Wow
Reactions: joeaax1j

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Just remove the front brakes all together, that will solve the dragging issue.
I was thinking the same thing 😂

What's that mark on there? Is that a big gouge in the metal?
Oooh. Yea. I never posted about that. Well, there’s this big grizzly bear that hangs out around my garage and likes to help me out with projects. He has such a good heart, but somehow, things tend to always break, crack, scrape, leak, etc. when he works on things.
So. When he installed the pads, he pushed in that metal tab/ clip that the pads sit on, causing it to scrape along the rotor. I stopped when I heard it, and I could hear it inside the car, but not quick enough. It didn’t make a full circle but still made a heartbreaking gouge in my beautiful new rotor. All I can say is, oh well and bless his heart. Still don’t know what I’d do without him 💛🙂
Glasses Beard Videographer Flash photography Cameras & optics

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Got a set of calipers from Rock Auto on the way by recommendation of Isaac. Also, got the driver side disk off. We drilled out the heads 🙂

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
As long as it’s not too deep it might be ok, shoot, I’ve driven and seen much MUCH worse on cars, it’s just unfortunate to see it on a brand new rotor! We all mess up. I mean heck, I put brakes on my moms car last week and somehow managed to forget a piece or line something up wrong about 4 times total.. 🤦‍♀️ But I figured it all out eventually. I get so used to working on my personal cars I forget how different every other car is! I definitely can’t count all the things I’ve messed up without taking my socks off. If it makes you feel any better, I blew up an entire engine because I accidentally hooked up the oil filter/cooler lines backwards.
Haha, oh man. Well, we live and learn, huh? At least we have some stories to tell 😂
Personal protective equipment Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior Wrist

My calipers came 3 days early 😏 Bummer is, I still can’t get to it til Monday.
However, I do have some questions. Of course lol! Glad y’all aren’t tired of me yet (hopefully!). 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
Since I’m already in there (as we like to say), and my brake fluid is quite yellowed and cloudy, I’m gonna follow Evan’s advice and change it. I was surprised to find that the manual has no info on draining it.
I was reading up about it (not on IC), and someone said it takes like 3 weeks of removing the fluid from the master cylinder, filling back up with new, bleeding, drive a week, repeat until it’s finally clear?! Y’all. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat.
^^ Is this a suitable process?
How much and what brand of fluid do you use? I was careful to get Honda coolant and CVT fluid, but this go around, I’ll probably opt for any general DOT3 that’s good.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Bumper

Also, Shane, just to be sure. You’re talking about removing the clips that sit in the bracket, right? Mine are kinda jacked up and I think causing stuff to not line up properly. I’ll just remove them if they’re not that important :)

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I never updated, but the Cherry is on the road and stopping! Well, good enough anyway lol.
As happens with any project I’ve come to realize, there were several set backs. Including but not limited to a broken bleeder valve, which I kept in since it broke while tightening and no fluid is coming out 🤞🏼 and a brake drum being removed unbeknownst to me, causing the wheel cylinder to pop out, spewing brake fluid EvErYwHeRe as I continually pumped the brakes tryna bleed the front left, wondering where on earth all the fluid was going 😵‍💫 But hey, bonus, now I know all about brake drums lol.
Evan, I’m glad you pushed replacing the fluid, it was pretty bad.
Automotive tire Glove Fluid Safety glove Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Tire

Abrasive saw Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
So, a little dramatic. But nothing we can’t handle. Plus, I had good tunes, good brews, and good dudes texting me, helping me out when I was like what the... 🤦🏻‍♀️ thanks guys!

With the new calipers, I can really feel a big difference and I think they were sticking worse than I realized. Even with highs in the 30s, running heat, and speeding to work since I’m always running late, I’ve been averaging 52 mpg, and I’m really happy with that.

Tune in next time for another exciting installment of clueless chick restores her car! 💁🏻‍♀️

Reactions: julianachos

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My cold weather MPG is always down a bit. If yours is a 5 MT as opposed to CVT, you should expect a nice mpg bump come Spring. If CVT, you’ve got a little room for improving mpg, but not a ton.
She’s a CVT! That’s why I’m happy with that for now.

Chocolate Dunkel | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company | BeerAdvocate

Yeah... Flavored lager? Um... No.
Unless, maybe, you're using it as a brake-fluid substitute!
Or, perhaps, clean up the brake-fluid you put on the floor.
😂 I had my doubts, but it’s really good! I’ll take anything ol’ Linny puts out tho lol. I love all their stuff.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
A big week for the Cherry!
Just as I crossed the 340k mile mark, I had a strange noise start that I thought was CVT related. Thankfully, it was just the idler pulley. Expected to have a quick job before me when I accidentally snapped off a lug stud! This is why we have torque wrenches people. Well, now I know how to replace that lol.
Btw, this is my original idler pulley from the previous engine. So it lasted 340k miles! I’m happy with that :)
Automotive tire Wheel Finger Rim Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Tire Tread Alloy wheel Hubcap

Wood Gas Auto part Metal Composite material

Same night the pulley noise started, I also had a big truck parked next to me decide to back out too sharp… i know who did it so we’ll see what insurance says. Already got an estimate from an auto body shop and they said $2,600 for repairs! 😳
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Material property Rectangle Tints and shades Paint Magenta

Lol, they said the easiest thing would be to just replace the door. I guaranteed them it would not be easy. 😅

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! More than the gash on the door, the real hitter is that dent from the tire. Shop said they’d have to basically deconstruct the car to pop it out lol. Take out all interior, corner window, etc. but I was more concerned with that scrape. And I believe she’s already a salvage title. Some wishy washy stuff went on I think…so idk, let’s see what happens.
Jake is only 4 hrs from me! However, I was totally heartbroken to see what happened. I wouldn’t want to take his door lol.

I’m usually a glass half full kinda girl, but nothings been easy so far, so I have a feeling this is all gonna get complicated :)

Reactions: trickle
1 - 16 of 16 Posts