Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

Premium Member
I wouldn't recommend driving it with new pads until you get that other rotor off, you'll likely have to end up replacing the pads on that side again since it'll carve grooves into it. Have you tried an impact screwdriver on those screws? Also, as @Balto said, don't put those back in, it'll just leave you in the same predicament a few years from now! And as @Joule said, JIS drivers are absolutely amazing! I got some when I started working on vintage Honda motorcycles and they will make you want to throw every Phillips driver you have straight in the trash! They even grip regular Philips screws better than a Phillips driver do!

It's funny how we all seem to like similar things @Joule , I also like Volvos... I've had 13 of them 馃槀, 12 being redblocks.
Tractor power!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Shane M

Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
240 wagon, stick; v70 wagon, stick; 850 wagon, auto, S70 auto; XC70 auto; S80; P2 wagon, stick; P2 V70 R auto.
240 wagon which now has a t5 and a turbo, 740 turbo manual, 240 sedan, 240 wagon, 242 turbo manual sedan, 850 manual, 940 turbo drift car, 740 sedan, 240 sedan, 940 turbo sedan, 740 wagon, 740 sedan. All have been either parted out or sold except the first 240 wagon.

Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
Still running the P2 S80 and P2 XC70. I love the Volvo seats. Most comfortable ever. Still, the Insight, despite or perhaps because of its quirks, is probably my favorite car all time.
Volvo seats are something special that's for sure, especially P2 seats for whatever reason. The first car I fell in love with was my 240 wagon. The insight is a very very close second though, I had no idea how much I would REALLY love it!

Premium Member
Volvo seats are something special that's for sure, especially P2 seats for whatever reason. The first car I fell in love with was my 240 wagon. The insight is a very very close second though, I had no idea how much I would REALLY love it!
Man I agree. I'd love to put some P2 seats in an insight, but the electronics make it far too complicated.

Premium Member
Just to clear up some stuff on JIS, the JIS standard is no longer a thing. You don't need JIS screwdrivers. The JIS standard has been replaced by DIN 5260-PH. A quality DIN 5260-PH phillips screwdriver, which is what current high quality manufactured "JIS" screwdrivers are, works perfectly well on JIS screws. Most modern, high quality phillips screwdrivers are DIN 5260-PH (think Wiha, Wera, etc.) The problem is that most of us are using old/crappy/cheap Phillips screwdrivers that aren't DIN 5260-PH.

If you want a real JIS screwdriver, you must look for older screwdrivers manufactured before 2008, when the JIS standard went away.

Registered
2001 CVT 鈥淐herry Bomb鈥 338K+ Miles
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hahhaha, I check my notifications and it鈥檚 showing all these Volvo comments, I was like whaaa? 馃槀 Naw, don鈥檛 worry guys, it鈥檚 fine. i don鈥檛 mind some sidetracks here and there! Helps me get my mind off things, ehhhh 馃ゲ馃ゴ

Thanks for all the tips as always, guys!
I鈥檓 gonna be back at it again bright and early tomorrow bc on my drive to work tonight, I could feel lots of drag on the passenger side, weird squeaking/ humming noice (not new brake squeak, I dont think), and the rim was QUITE hot compared to the other. So, I guess take it all apart again and see what鈥檚 up.
I know everything needs to 鈥渂reak鈥 in (lol), but would excessive drag be normal? My mpg was terrible which of course, is the opposite of what I expected. Dad and I took everything apart when replacing the disk and pads, cleaned and greased everything back up, loosened and regreased the caliper pins, etc. I鈥檝e done a lot of reading the past hour on it all, so I have some things I鈥檒l try and look for when I take it apart, but I鈥檓 not sure what it could be.
Hopefully, I can get that other disk off tomorrow too. Wish me luck 馃槅

Reactions: Natalya

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I did fix my exhaust leak at least! It was coming from the side where I had put that new nut in and for some reason, I guess it wouldn鈥檛 tighten down all the way. Swapped it with an old one, manhandled it tight, and now it鈥檚 sealed properly. Hopefully, I won鈥檛 have to remove that ever 馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
The caliper that is heating up could be partially seized. While the slide pins are a common suspect, the caliper piston itself could have rust on it. Two options there: 1) replace offending caliper with rebuilt, or 2) get a caliper rebuild kit and rebuild the caliper yourself. The second is far cheaper, but I generally opt for option 1 since I don鈥檛 trust myself to get the piston seal mounted correctly.

At the risk of mansplaining here, brake fluid is hygroscopic. It will draw moisture in from the atmosphere over time. This has two undesirable effects: 1) water is relatively compressible compared to brake fluid so old, moisture laden brake fluid will make your stopping less effective and give you a somewhat spongy pedal feel and 2) it will rust brake system components like caliper pistons from the inside.

Accordingly, brake fluid should be completely replaced every two years as preventive maintenance. I suspect few of us actually do that.

Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
Hahhaha, I check my notifications and it鈥檚 showing all these Volvo comments, I was like whaaa? 馃槀 Naw, don鈥檛 worry guys, it鈥檚 fine. i don鈥檛 mind some sidetracks here and there! Helps me get my mind off things, ehhhh 馃ゲ馃ゴ

Thanks for all the tips as always, guys!
I鈥檓 gonna be back at it again bright and early tomorrow bc on my drive to work tonight, I could feel lots of drag on the passenger side, weird squeaking/ humming noice (not new brake squeak, I dont think), and the rim was QUITE hot compared to the other. So, I guess take it all apart again and see what鈥檚 up.
I know everything needs to 鈥渂reak鈥 in (lol), but would excessive drag be normal? My mpg was terrible which of course, is the opposite of what I expected. Dad and I took everything apart when replacing the disk and pads, cleaned and greased everything back up, loosened and regreased the caliper pins, etc. I鈥檝e done a lot of reading the past hour on it all, so I have some things I鈥檒l try and look for when I take it apart, but I鈥檓 not sure what it could be.
Hopefully, I can get that other disk off tomorrow too. Wish me luck 馃槅
I wonder if you have an actual caliper issue? Since you re greased the slide pins I bet you have an issue with the piston itself sticking. Unless that鈥檚 the side with the old rotor, which could be causing a drag against new pads. Did you bed in the new pads?

Registered
Gesture Musical instrument Finger Sneakers Walking shoe

I'll be able to sleep better.

• Haha
Reactions: CherryBomb

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The side I鈥檓 having trouble with is the passenger side with both the new rotor and pads. And Julian already knows, but just to answer here, the pads and rotors are both from Isaac (btw, thanks for letting me pester you all day, Julian 馃槀).
To the best of my knowledge, the pins are fine and I think the line is fine. I do believe the problem is that the piston is partially seized. Waiting to hear a price from Isaac for a pair of used calipers, but might look into rebuilding. Trouble now is, I don鈥檛 have the van for back up as she鈥檚 at the mechanics rn (not me, a real mechanic 馃槀), so I鈥檓 on a serious time crunch.
Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Rim Wheel

This is the new disk today after just the one drive to work.

• Wow
Reactions: joeaax1j

Premium Member
The side I鈥檓 having trouble with is the passenger side with both the new rotor and pads. And Julian already knows, but just to answer here, the pads and rotors are both from Isaac (btw, thanks for letting me pester you all day, Julian 馃槀).
To the best of my knowledge, the pins are fine and I think the line is fine. I do believe the problem is that the piston is partially seized. Waiting to hear a price from Isaac for a pair of used calipers, but might look into rebuilding. Trouble now is, I don鈥檛 have the van for back up as she鈥檚 at the mechanics rn (not me, a real mechanic 馃槀), so I鈥檓 on a serious time crunch.
View attachment 99840
Just remove the front brakes all together, that will solve the dragging issue.

Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
View attachment 99840
What's that mark on there? Is that a big gouge in the metal?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts