Honda Insight Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CVT “Cherry Bomb” 338K+ Miles
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Just remove the front brakes all together, that will solve the dragging issue.
I was thinking the same thing 😂

What's that mark on there? Is that a big gouge in the metal?
Oooh. Yea. I never posted about that. Well, there’s this big grizzly bear that hangs out around my garage and likes to help me out with projects. He has such a good heart, but somehow, things tend to always break, crack, scrape, leak, etc. when he works on things.
So. When he installed the pads, he pushed in that metal tab/ clip that the pads sit on, causing it to scrape along the rotor. I stopped when I heard it, and I could hear it inside the car, but not quick enough. It didn’t make a full circle but still made a heartbreaking gouge in my beautiful new rotor. All I can say is, oh well and bless his heart. Still don’t know what I’d do without him 💛🙂
Glasses Beard Videographer Flash photography Cameras & optics

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Got a set of calipers from Rock Auto on the way by recommendation of Isaac. Also, got the driver side disk off. We drilled out the heads 🙂

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
93 Posts
I was thinking the same thing 😂

Oooh. Yea. I never posted about that. Well, there’s this big grizzly bear that hangs out around my garage and likes to help me out with projects. He has such a good heart, but somehow, things tend to always break, crack, scrape, leak, etc. when he works on things.
So. When he installed the pads, he pushed in that metal tab/ clip that the pads sit on, causing it to scrape along the rotor. I stopped when I heard it, and I could hear it inside the car, but not quick enough. It didn’t make a full circle but still made a heartbreaking gouge in my beautiful new rotor. All I can say is, oh well and bless his heart. Still don’t know what I’d do without him 💛🙂
View attachment 99845
As long as it’s not too deep it might be ok, shoot, I’ve driven and seen much MUCH worse on cars, it’s just unfortunate to see it on a brand new rotor! We all mess up. I mean heck, I put brakes on my moms car last week and somehow managed to forget a piece or line something up wrong about 4 times total.. 🤦‍♀️ But I figured it all out eventually. I get so used to working on my personal cars I forget how different every other car is! I definitely can’t count all the things I’ve messed up without taking my socks off. If it makes you feel any better, I blew up an entire engine because I accidentally hooked up the oil filter/cooler lines backwards.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,714 Posts
Those projecting prongs are wear indicators for the pads. Still not sure exactly how they work, but I know they shouldn’t be bent or compressed.

If I had a nickel for every mistake I’ve made wrenching . . .

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
93 Posts
Those projecting prongs are wear indicators for the pads. Still not sure exactly how they work, but I know they shouldn’t be bent or compressed.

If I had a nickel for every mistake I’ve made wrenching . . .
Typically they just start to make a squeak when the pad gets low enough for those to touch the rotor, I always remove those if I can because they scratch the rotor in that process. You just have to keep an eye on your brake pads.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
As long as it’s not too deep it might be ok, shoot, I’ve driven and seen much MUCH worse on cars, it’s just unfortunate to see it on a brand new rotor! We all mess up. I mean heck, I put brakes on my moms car last week and somehow managed to forget a piece or line something up wrong about 4 times total.. 🤦‍♀️ But I figured it all out eventually. I get so used to working on my personal cars I forget how different every other car is! I definitely can’t count all the things I’ve messed up without taking my socks off. If it makes you feel any better, I blew up an entire engine because I accidentally hooked up the oil filter/cooler lines backwards.
Haha, oh man. Well, we live and learn, huh? At least we have some stories to tell 😂
Personal protective equipment Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior Wrist

My calipers came 3 days early 😏 Bummer is, I still can’t get to it til Monday.
However, I do have some questions. Of course lol! Glad y’all aren’t tired of me yet (hopefully!). 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
Since I’m already in there (as we like to say), and my brake fluid is quite yellowed and cloudy, I’m gonna follow Evan’s advice and change it. I was surprised to find that the manual has no info on draining it.
I was reading up about it (not on IC), and someone said it takes like 3 weeks of removing the fluid from the master cylinder, filling back up with new, bleeding, drive a week, repeat until it’s finally clear?! Y’all. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat.
^^ Is this a suitable process?
How much and what brand of fluid do you use? I was careful to get Honda coolant and CVT fluid, but this go around, I’ll probably opt for any general DOT3 that’s good.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Bumper

Also, Shane, just to be sure. You’re talking about removing the clips that sit in the bracket, right? Mine are kinda jacked up and I think causing stuff to not line up properly. I’ll just remove them if they’re not that important :)

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
93 Posts
Haha, oh man. Well, we live and learn, huh? At least we have some stories to tell 😂
View attachment 99895
My calipers came 3 days early 😏 Bummer is, I still can’t get to it til Monday.
However, I do have some questions. Of course lol! Glad y’all aren’t tired of me yet (hopefully!). 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
Since I’m already in there (as we like to say), and my brake fluid is quite yellowed and cloudy, I’m gonna follow Evan’s advice and change it. I was surprised to find that the manual has no info on draining it.
I was reading up about it (not on IC), and someone said it takes like 3 weeks of removing the fluid from the master cylinder, filling back up with new, bleeding, drive a week, repeat until it’s finally clear?! Y’all. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat.
^^ Is this a suitable process?
How much and what brand of fluid do you use? I was careful to get Honda coolant and CVT fluid, but this go around, I’ll probably opt for any general DOT3 that’s good.
View attachment 99894
Also, Shane, just to be sure. You’re talking about removing the clips that sit in the bracket, right? Mine are kinda jacked up and I think causing stuff to not line up properly. I’ll just remove them if they’re not that important :)
The clips I was referring to are the "squealers" or wear indicators, those clips you pictured there are very important to keeping the pads lined up and they act as the slider surface for them. That one does appear to be a little tweaked though.

As for the fluid flush, You'll be totally fine if you just add fresh fluid to the master and bleed until you see nice fresh clean fluid coming out of each caliper. This is made much easier by a power bleeder, but can be done via the standard push the brake pedal method too. I've had cars where the brake fluid was black and full of chunks 😬 but just bleeding that out will get 95% of the old fluid out and you'll be in good shape. Any standard dot3 fluid should be fine, you're not racing! At least I don't think you are...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I’ve changed Insight brake pads (front) precisely once on a manual (who uses the brakes on these cars anyway?) and I found the pad mounting clips to be one of the klugiest, jigsaw puzzle set ups I’ve seen on any car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I never updated, but the Cherry is on the road and stopping! Well, good enough anyway lol.
As happens with any project I’ve come to realize, there were several set backs. Including but not limited to a broken bleeder valve, which I kept in since it broke while tightening and no fluid is coming out 🤞🏼 and a brake drum being removed unbeknownst to me, causing the wheel cylinder to pop out, spewing brake fluid EvErYwHeRe as I continually pumped the brakes tryna bleed the front left, wondering where on earth all the fluid was going 😵‍💫 But hey, bonus, now I know all about brake drums lol.
Evan, I’m glad you pushed replacing the fluid, it was pretty bad.
Automotive tire Glove Fluid Safety glove Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Tire

Abrasive saw Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
So, a little dramatic. But nothing we can’t handle. Plus, I had good tunes, good brews, and good dudes texting me, helping me out when I was like what the... 🤦🏻‍♀️ thanks guys!

With the new calipers, I can really feel a big difference and I think they were sticking worse than I realized. Even with highs in the 30s, running heat, and speeding to work since I’m always running late, I’ve been averaging 52 mpg, and I’m really happy with that.

Tune in next time for another exciting installment of clueless chick restores her car! 💁🏻‍♀️

Reactions: julianachos

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My cold weather MPG is always down a bit. If yours is a 5 MT as opposed to CVT, you should expect a nice mpg bump come Spring. If CVT, you’ve got a little room for improving mpg, but not a ton.

·
Registered
865 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: CherryBomb

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My cold weather MPG is always down a bit. If yours is a 5 MT as opposed to CVT, you should expect a nice mpg bump come Spring. If CVT, you’ve got a little room for improving mpg, but not a ton.
She’s a CVT! That’s why I’m happy with that for now.

Chocolate Dunkel | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company | BeerAdvocate

Yeah... Flavored lager? Um... No.
Unless, maybe, you're using it as a brake-fluid substitute!
Or, perhaps, clean up the brake-fluid you put on the floor.
😂 I had my doubts, but it’s really good! I’ll take anything ol’ Linny puts out tho lol. I love all their stuff.

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
93 Posts
I never updated, but the Cherry is on the road and stopping! Well, good enough anyway lol.
As happens with any project I’ve come to realize, there were several set backs. Including but not limited to a broken bleeder valve, which I kept in since it broke while tightening and no fluid is coming out 🤞🏼 and a brake drum being removed unbeknownst to me, causing the wheel cylinder to pop out, spewing brake fluid EvErYwHeRe as I continually pumped the brakes tryna bleed the front left, wondering where on earth all the fluid was going 😵‍💫 But hey, bonus, now I know all about brake drums lol.
Evan, I’m glad you pushed replacing the fluid, it was pretty bad. View attachment 100216
View attachment 100219
View attachment 100217
View attachment 100218 So, a little dramatic. But nothing we can’t handle. Plus, I had good tunes, good brews, and good dudes texting me, helping me out when I was like what the... 🤦🏻‍♀️ thanks guys!

With the new calipers, I can really feel a big difference and I think they were sticking worse than I realized. Even with highs in the 30s, running heat, and speeding to work since I’m always running late, I’ve been averaging 52 mpg, and I’m really happy with that.

Tune in next time for another exciting installment of clueless chick restores her car! 💁🏻‍♀️
52 is really good for a CVT in winter weather! I'm only getting around that with my manual car... though its been either very windy or in town driving.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts