Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in the number of hybrids in their area during the past few months? It seems as though a stampeed of the wonderful creatures has infiltrated my county in a very short period of time. I can't go one day now without seeing five or six other hybrids streeking down the road in all their high-tech, gas-conserving glory. I guess an increase in gas prices really can have a positive effect on the types of cars people buy. :D

Luna

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Luna-

In my neck of the woods there have always (well almost always) been a fair number of hybrids, but now I notice that ’04 Priuses (Prii?) already seem to outnumber all the other years combined. Yes it is a great sight!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I live in Bay Area CA and have seen lots of Prius around (more and more and more) and recently started to see the Civic Hybrids as well. I've seen a total of about 4-5 insights (saw one in San Luis Obispo yesterday around 11 am passing the gas station on Santa Rosa before Foothill around 11:40 am). There is a big presense here and it is getting bigger - not yet anywhere as big as the guzzlers they hopefully are replacing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I saw 29 hybrids (not including the 6 I usually see each day) on the 115 mile commute to work and school. (12 original Prii, 4 '04s, 3 Insights, and 10 HCH's for those who wanted to know :roll:) (The 6 I normally see are my Insight, my Boss's '02 Prius, another Prius and an HCH that park across the street, an Insight that is usually parked downtown, and a HCH parked on the way to school)

On other days I have seen that the '04 Prius has been outnumbering the original Prius (one day was something like 10 and 3). This may just be that I'm so use to seeing the original Prius that they don't stand out, or that they are being traded up a lot more in this area. If anyone wants to see a concentration of hybrids just drive down 4th street in San Rafael in the middle of a weekday, there are usually about 4-8+ parked or driving.

Gas price probably does have something to do with it, I filled up for $2.25/gal a week ago and the prices are now $2.35+ at most stations. I even had a guy in a contractor's truck stopped in the other direction at a stop light ask me some questions. I don't tend to get many questions because hybrids are not uncommon in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am a Alabama redneck and my pickup got 18 mpg. I drive 55 miles to work. In response to these gas prices, I bought a brand new CIVIC hyrid for my wife and liked it so much that I bought a used Insight last Tuesday, (traded in the pickup.) After reading the driving tips on this site I got 76.5 mpg driving in to work this morning.

Mike G.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yep, I have noticed it too, even around these parts. Saw 2 Priussusses this moring, new and old, and a HCH. Also seeing more non-Hybrid efficient cars.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___Although I am seeing more Hybrid’s nowadays, it isn’t an overwhelming number here in the Chicagoland area. There is an 04 Prius sitting in a subdivision driveway I traverse when leaving work so I see that about 2 or 3 times a week. Out on the highways, I see a Hybrid Prius I, II, HCH, or Insight about every 3 or 4 days now which is a lot more then the once a month I used to see them on this same commute.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:237tu2hv][email protected][/email:237tu2hv]

·
Registered
804 Posts
In Dallas, I see an Insight every 2-3 days.

I saw a couple in a silver Insight in a Lewisville shopping center a week ago. Tried to drive to them, but after 30 seconds they apparently were trying to avoid me. Must have been the shaven head, goatee, and biker jacket. :twisted: (I don't look like that at all)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am a Alabama redneck and my pickup got 18 mpg. I drive 55 miles to work. In response to these gas prices, I bought a brand new CIVIC hyrid for my wife and liked it so much that I bought a used Insight last Tuesday, (traded in the pickup.) After reading the driving tips on this site I got 76.5 mpg driving in to work this morning.
Congratulations Mike, and welcome to the forum!

-Ron

·
Registered
132 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
In Dallas, I see an Insight every 2-3 days.

I saw a couple in a silver Insight in a Lewisville shopping center a week ago. Tried to drive to them, but after 30 seconds they apparently were trying to avoid me. Must have been the shaven head, goatee, and biker jacket. :twisted: (I don't look like that at all)
My wife always kicks me afterwards, when I tried to talk to strangers about cars. I'm always happy to talk about my cars whenever someone approaches me, but I do have days when I'm not as motivated... I've gotten a few frowns the last few times I've tried to strike a converstation, so I think I'm about done yakking with fellow owners...

Charles

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here in Jacksonville, FL I see virtually no hybrids. When we first got our Insight (2000), I'd see one or two every once in a while. Now, I haven't seen one for ages. I have seen a few Prius' around but I can probably count them all on both hands. It gave me a big smile (and my friend) to see an Insight in The Day After Tomorrow movie.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I saw two insights last week and one today :) I couldn't believe it because the last time I saw an Insight was about 3 years ago.

Matt

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went 8 months without seeing another Insight on the road here in pothole heaven and then two weeks ago, I saw three in three consecutive days! A silver one like mine with Ontario plates going down Sherbrooke Street West, a red one in the industrial sector of Lachine (Yves?) off the 13, and another silver one near Beauharnois while riding around on my Interceptor. Nothing since. But a neighbor just recently got a new Prius and somebody has a HCH a few streets away.

(It's not a hybrid but we see a lot of the new Echo hatchback (nee Yaris) that isn't being sold in the US. Cool little machine!).

Oh...talking about the HCH, am I the only one that thinks Honda was being goofy in putting antennas on the Insight and HCH? There havent been antennas on Civic for the longest time now. Guess it makes them look the (electrical) part. So much for aerodynamic efficiency and light weight...

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It was not me but....

I was followed by a silver Insight yesterday off the industrial sector of Laval on Bellerose boulevard going East.

I only reallized it when I turned north, I saw the car model in my mirror.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see one or two hybrids a day on my 60 mile commute through Mass and RI. Yesterday I saw a red insight and we drove side by side for a bit (must have been funny looking to all the suburbans and excursions).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts