Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... at least in my neck of the woods. More and more people are driving the speed limit lately.

I drive a MINI Cooper and my wife drives her Insight CVT (56.9 LMPG - she drives at or below the speed limit at 5am in the morning). When she's off or when it is the weekends, then I get to drive the Insight. Normally, when I'm in the MINI, I'm a speed demon; minimum of 80,
and some occasional 100+. But when I'm in the Insight, I'm speed limit or +10 all the way.

In the past, when I'm in the Insight, 75% of the cars would pass me,
(and I'm always courteous not to be in anyone's way). But last week, when I drove the Insight, the opposite was true; probably 75% of the cars are now driving speed limit or +10. So I've decided to drive my MINI at the same rate and been getting great gas mileage (up to 40mpg at one point), relatively, of course.

The obvious reason for the slow down is probably because of the higher gas prices, but I'll add that the wind is blowing fairly strong lately, which
may also help slow down the traffic. I won't kid myself and believe that the general public care about saving gas, but more likely trying to save money at the gas pump. Either way, it's a good thing that conservation is back on the table again.

Since the local news is saturated with reports about the reasons for higher gas prices, the public, understands the situation, is relatively calm about this round of price hikes. So at this moment, we're having a good equilibrium: motivation to conserve, and low level of resistance. Hybrids are hot again, and even domestic car companies are starting new campaigns, stressing lower fuel consumption as a selling point.

Unfortunately, my optimism is curbed by the signs of bad news that will come in the next few months. AAA predicts that people will drive more this summer, thus gas demand will go up. It is true that for OPEC, summers are time when they export less oil overall, but Wall St. predicts that oil demands will still exceed supply, thus a continued soaring of prices at the pump. With higher gas prices, other commodities will cost more, and in the end, inflation. Public will get upset, and quick fixes will be proposed. Once again will we travel down the wrong road; instead of improving cars, we'll be drilling for more oil.

Well, if I can predict everything accurately, I'll be rich right now... we'll see what happens... but please tell us if you, too, spot that your local traffic is slowing down to the speed limit...

Charles

·
Registered
804 Posts
People may be driving a little slower in Dallas.

This is my freeway fantasy: Bad dude in his off-road vehicle tries to blast by me, but runs out of gas :twisted:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
This is my freeway fantasy: Bad dude in his off-road vehicle tries to blast by me, but runs out of gas :twisted:
Wow, that's a good one...

Things aren't any different around here, speed-wise. I do see more and more efficient cars, and hybrids, though....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Probably half of the traffic in the Burlington, VT area are now a hair above the speed limit. I personally don't see people going much faster than 75 MPH or so. I do agree with you guys, I really like the trend of traffic slowing instead of speeding!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
It seems slower here in CA on a regular basis, but not always.

CHP did a crackdown on speeding a while ago, and it made a difference. If anything people seem to be inching up again recently.

·
Registered
65 Posts
People seem to be speeding as usual on my daily commute from Bakersfield to LAX, except on the 405, where you're lucky to get above 10 mph between complete stops. On the I-5, people are doing 85+. I keep it around 70 to 75, but zoom by everyone going up the steep grades in and out of L.A. I have actually seen jaws drop and people point and say "wow", as they struggle to maintain the speed limit going up hill. The best part is that some of them use as much gas going up one long grade as I use on my entire 244 mile commute. Cool.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not everybody is slowing down. I was changing lanes on the Bush Tollway doing about 75 mpg. That would have been unevenful except this huge Ford F350 was on my rear bumper dropping out of warp (picture http://waag.com/showroom/timages/normal ... 50clip.jpg ). He then takes out not watching for NASCAR wannbees personally and possibly wants to bump me over a lane. By the time the freeway ends and we exit in different directions, he fails to overtake that "girly car". Hope he saw me LOL after we split. Sorry, but I just wanted him to wonder about his manhood (and possibly avoid being bumped off). That's why I like evening communtes much less than the morning ones.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___Here near Chicago, I am not seeing any slow down that I can tell :( There was a single Chevrolet Cavalier and a Truck with a Crane Rig attached going slower then myself today which is a very good sign ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2wmer2pr][email protected][/email:2wmer2pr]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Going 84 on an 84 KM (50 MPH) 2 lane RR. Two cars are following at a respectable distance. A pickup with 2 kids in baseball caps blows by honking and gives me the finger, then he has to slow down again about 1,000 feet in front as there is another car going about 82KmpH. Some seem to get the idea but not everyone. Gas hit another high today going for 92.7 cents per litre.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts