Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we all get to read the hyper-milers who have magical commutes that allows a billion miles per gallon. How about a thread for the rest of us ;) ?

I'll start:

I drive 13 miles (exactly!) from my driveway to my workplace. On that route (which is the shortest and most level by the way) I encouter 31 traffic lights and five stop signs. I travel through parts of 6 cities. I get to travel 5 miles on the freeway.

Timing the lights is next to impossible, as the individual cities don't seem to care very much about sycronizing their lights.

Mornings are ok, I take off just before 6 am, but the afternoons are brutal. Sometimes stop three times at one light. Not to mention headed directly into a 10 mph wind almost every day. At the end of the commute is a hill that I enter from a stop at a right turn. Most often I am compelled to punch the accelerator to ascend or be crushed by traffic. When I finally get home I have to back myself UP (it's steep) and I do mean up my driveway, it seems like this exercise shaves .2 mpg off my meter every time.

With all that and tires at 40 psi, and a new 2006 Insight it's all I can do to get 55mpg with my CVT :p Still it's more than 4 times better than I used to do with my pickup truck!!

Now make me feel better, tell us about your horrible commute! :p

·
Registered
466 Posts
mine is not too bad, actually. 10 minutes at 25 - 45 mph to get to the interstate. mostly flat, but a couple of hills near the highway. one traffic light, plus a few intersections where i might have to stop/yield.

then 20 minutes on the interstate. a total drop of about 80 feet, with the usual overpass hills. traffic is usually light to moderate.

then about 5 minutes from the interstate to NASA. 3 lights (all red, mostly), and a couple of hills.

i have gotten 85 mpg going to work once, and 77 mpg round trip a few times. average 75-80 going to work, and 70-75 round trip.

overall, i am getting an average of 65 on a tank since i have owned the little beast.

next!........

·
Registered
89 Posts
11 mile commute to work/school (right next to each other).

10 traffic lights/stop signs so its usually 6-7 stops- plus cars turning etc.

it's mostly uphill on the way to work... especially right at the beginning (when the engine is cold

the way back is usually pretty good, but rush hour can kill it.

also, if i'm going anywhere around 3pm i pass 6 schools and have to deal w/ about a million busses.

most of he time the traffic isn't bad though, and the speeds are reasonable- current mpg: 64.6.

·
Registered
231 Posts
griller said:
With all that and tires at 40 psi, and a new 2006 Insight it's all I can do to get 55mpg with my CVT :p Still it's more than 4 times better than I used to do with my pickup truck!!
It sounds to me like you're doing pretty good considering your commute. I was thinking you would get 45 MPG with all of those stoplights.

I have a commute that's 25 miles each way. It's 95% freeway over rolling hills, mostly 65-70 MPH, and I get 54 MPG in my CVT.

James

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking you would get 45 MPG with all of those stoplights.

Yeah, I pretty much live by the FCD line. I get up to about 35 (when I can) as quickly as possible, then feather back the throttle till just before the recharge function kicks in. I still have to learn how to force the auto-stop when I have multiple stops at a light though.

Lol, I forgot to mention that I pass by 4 schools. Fortunately I miss the peak traffic hours when I'm passing by so it's not really an issue.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I go through the city at first, through a half-dozen anti-synchronized lights. (Synchronized so everybody has to stop at every one.) Then into open country with a 60 mph speed limit, no problem, but then a steep long downhill and a steep long uphill, third gear territory with assist.

That's not the problem, though. The problem is that the wind blows at about 50 mph most days...

·
Registered
338 Posts
????

47 miles.......EACH WAY.

Not whining....just thought ya'll should know what a REAL commute is.

:badgrin:

·
Registered
466 Posts
and uphill both ways, right? :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
nope

just like 70% construction tho!
:roll:

·
Registered
113 Posts
it used to be a good 30 mile commute when i bought the car, now it's:
1) 1 mile drive to work, downhill, less than 50mph, no more than 2 stops. autostop only works on the 2nd stop if the outside temp is 70+. i dont even get to listen to a whole song!
2) drive home, uphill, autostop works for the 2nd stop
then on schooldays:
3) 7 mile drive, 2 of those are highway, which is actually just a huge climb, and about 8 stop lights
4) then the reverse of trip 3, with 2 less stops, and 3 miles of highway instead of 2

i've been averaging 46mpg in my cvt :( trip 4 is the only thing that keeps it in the 40's.
i was approaching 65mpg with the 30 mile commute. at least now i don't have to gas up as often.

·
Registered
131 Posts
wow, allnighte, would it be feasible for you to ride a bike for trips 1 and 2? I hadc a short bike commute when I lived in pittsburgh and I loved it!

my commute is pretty straightforward: 2 miles of 50 mph highway driving onto the nj turnpike, 30 miles against traffic to work. there's one big hill in the beginning but it's mostly flat after that. I drive in the truck lane, too, which raises my chance of getting a smashed windshield but also raises my chance to draft off of a truck.

sometimes I have to work from our other nj office, and I think that commute is even better - it's about 20/25 miles up dreaded rt. 17, which includes maybe 5 or 10 miles of stoplights (but usually only have to stop at 2 or 3 of them) and another 15-20 miles of straight highway. there are some exceptionally rolling hills at the end of the drive, which lowers mileage, but the whole thing is basically driven at 55-60 mph so I get much better mpg. on the turnpike I get in a hurry and drove 70-75 sometimes, which isn't the best speed to go if I want to get my mileage up!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel your pain allnighte. Those short commutes or other trips where the engine barely has time to warm up are real mpg killers. Especially irksome are the stoplights at the bottoms of hills! The one I complain about climbing up in the first post, I have to go down in the morning with my engine still cold. The #[email protected]#$# traffic engineers have set the light so it is normally RED against me so I can't coast down the hill and thru the light unless I'm really lucky. :(

I let my wife take the insight out for a short errand, she managed to shave a whole mpg off my current tank (55.2 down to 54.2) somehow she beat the cumulative I had for 250 miles!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Re: ????

trunkout said:
47 miles.......EACH WAY.

Not whining....just thought ya'll should know what a REAL commute is.

:badgrin:
60 miles to work, 65 miles going home, and with the warmer weather I've been getting 75 to 77mpg going to work. Can't wait for even warmer temps so I can hit 80mpg. I guess I don't have much to whine about, except the distance I drive ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good thread. Here's my experience in a 5spd with tires at 40 psi.

I used to live in Massachusetts - cold winters, but good commute. 25 miles each way on highways. I hit 80 mpg one day for my outbound commute, and was climbing toward 60mpg lifetime. One more summer and I would have made it (I put snow tires on in winter, shaving another mpg or so off my winter average -- the LRR donuts are no fun in snow).

But then I moved to Virginia. Warmer, yes, but my commute is now 2.5 miles each way, through several traffic lights. It's hard to justify whining about a 2.5 mile commute, but it did drop my MPG severely. Especially over the winter - cold weather means that by the time I'm getting heat in the cabin I can already see my destination. My lifetime MPG is falling, and I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never see 60. Oh, well.

MF

·
Registered
495 Posts
RPM vs MPG

If circumstances permit it, try driving via the RPM guage as opposed to the much larger MPH indicator ... again, only if and when circumstances (SAFETY) permits ... and watch that MPG soar!

If you elect to run at 2000 RPM, you'll probably be doing about fifty MPH and your Current Miles per Gallon (CMG) guage will roll back and forth between 50 MPG and a bit over 100 MPG; with mostly straight but with some slight uphill and down hill running.

I have a new CVT an managed to get 97.1 MPG on a twenty five mile run the other week. Did it by trying to stay at 2000 RPM when and where possible, and yes, some "pulse and coast"ing (as John Bullick calls it) was involved. A fellow in Connecticut just confirmed that he managed to exceed 100 MPG with his Insight.

Fred

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Sorry Ferd, ;)

xcel was the first (IIRC) to document the Pulse & Glide technique in these forums. But its an oldie & goodie too (Pulse & Glide). Please don't give me false credit anymore.

Personally I rarely use it. And while RPM is a better indicator of MPG vs. the MPH meter the MPG bar graph is the _best_. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
commute

80 miles each way; that's why I bought the insight. I was able to get 67.9 today; my highest MPG to date. I was hovering around 62 MPG, but inflated the tires to 44psi today before I left. It's not close to some of the MPG I see stated, but much better than my SUV :D . Since I live in cold climate, I could see the warm air mod. being useful for this next winter. How is it done?
Russ

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the conditions of your commute need to be taken into account before purchasing a hybrid. My commute is 60 miles each way, 56 miles highway. That is the main reason I bought the Insight over the Prius. If my commute was shorter, mostly stop and go, or city driving, I would have opted for the Prius over the Insight. Still, anything over 50-55 mpg with an Insight in stop and go city driving is respectable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts