Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen worse power windows than the Insight's. They are slow and weak, acting like the motors are straining to get the windows up. Honda dropped the ball in this area.

Has anyone upgraded the window motors?
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hi Resist:

___Do a search under Rick for “Shin Etsu” without the quotes. It will cure you of any problem you might be having with your window lifts …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1qer6geq][email protected][/email:1qer6geq]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
They just need greased. My passinger side window was moving in slow motion until Honda greased it. Now it's fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, my power windows don't need greasing as they were like this when I purchased the car new. I think it's just an under powered motor design for this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Resist said:
No, my power windows don't need greasing as they were like this when I purchased the car new. I think it's just an under powered motor design for this car.
Maybe they were not greased properly before you bought it. Mine started giving me trouble about six months after I bought it, acting just as you described, slow, weak, the motor straining to get the window up, until finally the window stayed down and wouldn't go back up. Get it greased, that may be all that's wrong with it. I'm sure Honda will do it at no charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have owned many cars with power windows over the years and none were as weak as this. I even checked out other Insights on the car lot. They had the same weak power windows. I think it's just a bad design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Resist said:
I have owned many cars with power windows over the years and none were as weak as this. I even checked out other Insights on the car lot. They had the same weak power windows. I think it's just a bad design.
Just out of curiosity, what car(s) are you comparing the power windows too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
I don't find them to be weak at all. Their comparable with those found in my mom's Olds Royal, and our new(ish) Intrepid. But my passenger side definitly needs greasing.

What annoys me is that the AutoDown function is TOTALLY useless without an AutoUp function.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
What annoys me is that the AutoDown function is TOTALLY useless without an AutoUp function.
I couldn't agree more :!:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
Since the problem seems to occur consistently on the passenger side window, I wonder if it is a wiring problem. That is, perhaps the guage of the wire going across to the window from the switches on the drivers side is too small resulting in a voltage drop. This could be confirmed by measuring the voltage across the motor when the window is being raised. :?:

If this is the case, putting in a larger motor with a larger current draw would actually make the problem worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,448 Posts
It's nothing to do with the window motor itself, it's the fact that the run channels loose their lubricity over time and need replenished. I don't know of any other manufacturer who seems to have this problem, but the S2000 is also effected by this design quirk. Greasing the run channels can be a bit of a nuisance on occasion, but it's really not all that big of a deal. The reason the drivers window seems to slow first is probably because it's used much more often than the passenger side window.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Hrm, even if the lack of power window power was due to design... how is that a "slip-up" by Honda's engineers. Power windows is a fairly binary characteristic - either it works, or it doesn't. More powerful power windows would cost more and provide no real benefit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a more powerful motor would give it more beef in it's travel up and down. Currently both windows on my Insight and others I have tested at dealerships, are slow and seem to be straining to go up or down. Even the window motor noise sounds weak.

I have owned Toyota's, Chevrolet's, Nissan's and Mazda's with power windows and none have had this slow of a power window system.

I will give the lube thing a try but really don't have hope of that much of an improvement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,448 Posts
$50 says some shin etsu fixes your problem. How's that? I've had mine slow down before and a lube 100% fixed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
auto-up

bfivelover said:
Aaron Cake said:
What annoys me is that the AutoDown function is TOTALLY useless without an AutoUp function.
I couldn't agree more :!:
I think it was Consumer Reports who described auto-down as convenient, but auto-up as dangerous, since "...the window could easily grope around a child's neck."

I don't know why that stuck in my head over the years, but somehow, it did. In theory it shouldn't be a problem in a car that's not designed to carry children anyway (but maybe if Fido was in the car with you...)

As for the power window motors, I've find them to be just fine (feel a bit like McFly in the DeLorean, in fact) going through the not-Starbuck's coffee drive-thru or talking to people out walking in idle stop, but then again, I've never owned a car with them before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Re: auto-up

jsanford said:
bfivelover said:
Aaron Cake said:
What annoys me is that the AutoDown function is TOTALLY useless without an AutoUp function.
I couldn't agree more :!:
I think it was Consumer Reports who described auto-down as convenient, but auto-up as dangerous, since "...the window could easily grope around a child's neck."

I don't know why that stuck in my head over the years, but somehow, it did. In theory it shouldn't be a problem in a car that's not designed to carry children anyway (but maybe if Fido was in the car with you...)

As for the power window motors, I've find them to be just fine (feel a bit like McFly in the DeLorean, in fact) going through the not-Starbuck's coffee drive-thru or talking to people out walking in idle stop, but then again, I've never owned a car with them before.
You are right about the CU article. That is for cars with the standard rocker switch.

Honda put auto-up on the 2003 Element. The switches are designed such that if a canine foot or human hand sets down on it, the window will go down. It's not the standard rocker switch.

The window speed on our Insight seems equal to the Element, maybe not as robust sounding though. I bet they made weight concessions like many other components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
You could always provide a load detection mechanism on the motor so that if the window encounters resistance, the window retracts. Or just make the AutoUp switch much harder to accidentally press (maybe a little top lockout button that must be pressed to move the switch).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously though, could someone time how long it should take for the window to go up and then to go down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
By how long it "should" take are we talking, how long it takes on a brand new Insight, or how long it "should" take by some objective measure of ergonomics?
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top