Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago my son was minding his own business at a stop light. Light turned green, he let the clutch out and all of a sudden he experienced a huge burst of acceleration, unlike anything an Insight would do. The driver behind him just hit the gas a little too energetically. Other driver was apologetic and made notified his insurance company quickly, making it easier for Russ. It was interesting talking the other guy's insurance adjuster into giving us less money than he initially offered. They wanted to give it a rebuildable / salvage title. After discussing it a while, I simply told him that was not acceptable for us, as a salvage title is, well, a salvage title. They ended up coming down two hundred bucks and left the title alone. The rear little glass got shattered, bumper cover was destroyed, the main aluminum back panel that goes from side to side was bent in about one and a half inches at one place. Hatch was tweaked and jammed shut. Amazingly, the aluminum bumper was pretty much unscathed and the taillights were ok (one bulb did not work any more). Created a tool to jack the panel back out using a 49" long bar that fit into the ventilation holes inside, put two 11.5" long 2 x 8s in the wheelwell and used a lot of different 2 x 4s as spacers to place the jack optimally. Took most of one day to get it pushed back out, as I am definitely not a body man and took a lot of time and measurements. Main panel was not pretty when I finished but I made sure all the critical points were back in spec using a reference car. To make my son feel better I used air craft rivets to reinforce four broken spot welds
InitialDamageAllison.jpeg
AllisonJackingTool.jpg
AllisonBackPanel2.jpg
AllisonFinished1.jpg
AllisonFinished2.jpg
. Got it almost finished today! All that remains is to adapt a shark fin antenna we had on another Insight.

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
Great job, Tim!

Be sure to check your gas gauge. It is fairly common for it to fail in a rear end hit. Just remove the fuel pump and snap the plastic frame back together.

PM sent.

Sam

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great job, Tim!

Be sure to check your gas gauge. It is fairly common for it to fail in a rear end hit. Just remove the fuel pump and snap the plastic frame back together.

PM sent.

Sam
Hi Sam, now that you mention it, I remember reading about that on IC in the past. Will check it.

·
Administrator
11,568 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Great job! Reminds me of the Archimedes quote, "Give me a lever and a place to stand and I shall move the earth." Using that jack ever so carefully got your car fixed just right. Marvelous.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
32 Posts
Good work! I'd have been a bit worried about doing this on an aluminium body, though I've done similar on steel a few times. Looks like it came out well, though!

The only thing I'd add is to check any panel seams and joints in and around the area for leaks with a garden hose from all angles - they might not be obvious at first but water moves in strange ways and it would suck to find the spare wheel well full of water in a few months. You can fix any leaks with a bit of seam sealer.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow nice so how much money did insurance give you? free money!
Geico was actually ok. They gave us $2600. If you take away the $2500 cost of the parts car I bought (had actually bought it for the engine/transmission) we are still ahead. The money will actually offset the five months my son was between jobs, so it worked out ok.
Great job. Any pics showing the actual rear panel before your jacking started.
Hi Peter,

Thanks for asking. Took this one as a "before".

Tim
AllisonBackPanel1.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great job! Reminds me of the Archimedes quote, "Give me a lever and a place to stand and I shall move the earth." Using that jack ever so carefully got your car fixed just right. Marvelous.
Another man who quotes archimedes, now im impressed. People often say " oh we cant lift that or how did u move that " i always have said.the same.....i called on my friend archemedes.....most just cock their heads and figure its a neighbor across the street from another country.....whats happened to our educational system ? Lol. Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts