Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say this car seems super cool and would love to own one! Because of cost I think when I go looking for one I will be looking to buy used.

Any suggestions on things to look/listen/watch for when test driving one?

Also suggestions on the list of things to do to thoroughly test it?

Do they have cruise control? If only some, which years, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Raymond

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check it out as you would any other used vehicle... it's 80% normal automobile.

And look at the FCD, the higher lifetime MPG cars have probably been treated gently.

See if it still has the Bridgestone RE-92's LRR tires, makes a difference for MPG's. Just a indication of how the car was maintained.

Make sure no check engine or IMA warning lights are on.

If it's a older model (2000-2001), recalls should have been performed. Check for any receipts from the dealer/service department.

See what the state of charge is when you first get to the car, before any test drive. I would expect it to be at least half to three-quarters charged. If it's pulled way down, I would ask if the car had been test driven frequently or is there another explanation. Frequent short drives with lots of assist will pull the battery SOC down, this is normal.

Are you interested in a CVT or 5-speed? See if a 5-speed will do lean-burn after it's warmed up - without any surging.

A used Insight may have cruise, but it would be aftermarket. Cruise control was never offered by Honda.

Good luck in your search,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I believe this same question was already asked just recently. There is nothing special to look out for, it's just like any other car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Finding a used Insight w/ a transferrable Honda Care Warranty is also a huge plus, as this increases the warranty time on most components to 7 year/100k. Although my Insight is still low mileage, under 43,000, I think having bought a used Insight w/ the transferrable extended warranty will be very beneficial long-term due to potential high repairs costs.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, sorry if I missed a previous posting. This type of info/questions may be a good sticky or for the FAQ section.

I'm looking for a 5 speed w/AC.

I still have more reading to do to get the terms down etc.

Do these cars have a timing belt or chain or other? Although I didn't do any particular searches on them, I suspect it has a chain or other that doesn't require the every 100k replacement.

Is there a way to recharge this "main support battery" (is that the "battery pack'?) at home via some sort of charger? That way you would never have to worry about your battery's charge.

Thanks again. :) [/list]

·
Registered
242 Posts
used Insight purchase

uh, hi, Rayman,

keep reading, OK? You can't plug it in. Although to my way of thinking, being able to plug the car in to top off the battery pack would be a good thing. IIRC it has a timing chain.

·
Registered
473 Posts
hawkGT647 said:
And look at the FCD, the higher lifetime MPG cars have probably been treated gently.

Make sure no check engine or IMA warning lights are on.

If it's a older model (2000-2001), recalls should have been performed. Check for any receipts from the dealer/service department.

Are you interested in a CVT or 5-speed? See if a 5-speed will do lean-burn after it's warmed up - without any surging.
I too am looking into the possibility of purchasing a used Insight. It's a 2000 5-speed, with 68k miles. The asking price from a dealer is $12k, but I'm looking to get it for less.

Wondering if someone can expand on the above quote, specifically, what is FCD and how do you look at it? What is an IMA warning light? What do you mean by "lean-burn".

I'm not totally green on the Insight, but I have not driven one yet. So all this stuff that's common knowledge to you Insight owners isn't necessarily so for us "yet to be" owners. :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Lots of good stuff in the FAQ's :)

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-index-driving.html

FCD = Fuel Consumption Display (the MPG meter built in to the instrument pod) See my web page for a pic if you need it.

IMA = Integrated Motor Assist (the "electric assist" part of the Insight, 144v batteries etc.)

As with most complex systems in most cars there is an accompianing warning light the will illumunate for a variety of different faults (but its not fool proof).

Tried a forum search on "lean burn" yet :?: It's in here :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Gotcha, thanks! I've gotta learn as much specific stuff as I can before Saturday, which is when I'm going to look at the car, assuming it's still there.

Anybody care to express an opinion about what I can expext to pay for this puppy? 2000 5-speed with air and 68k miles. They're asking $12k, and I have the feeling it's been on the lot for a little while. My guess is few want the manual transmission, which I definately DO want. If the car looks okay I'm thinking about offering them $10k cash "out the door" and walking if they don't agree. Leaving them with contact info in case they change their mind of course.

I'm probably dreaming, but then I really shouldn't be buying a 3rd car anyway. :)
-Don

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Prices seem to be going up and not down, so it is kind of hard to know, but it seems that $12k for the miles and year is high and I would not pay it. $10k is more reasonable, but that depends upon the condition of the car.

For example, currently on SF Bay Area Craigslist is a 2003 with about 40k miles asking $13,000. That is a private party, but seems like a lot better deal than your dealer is asking.

I saw a Craigslist 2001 with about 43k miles asking $10k and that was gone in a few days recently.

Anyway, I would not pay the $12k for that car. Probably not $10k, but wait. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
340 Posts
After driving my 2000 purchased used a few months ago, I am generally happy with it, but I think I would try to opt for a 2002 or later if you can afford it. I think that is the year when some of the electronics were changed. The cars are out there, just don't be in a hurry to buy the first one you see, unless it is just an incredible deal. I had been looking for about 3 months and lucked up on a beauty.
What I did find out after I bought the car is that the lifetime mileage had been reset which doesn't really bother me because it reflects more of how I have been driving the car. It was about 55mpg, and I've put on almost 6000 miles out of 38000 and the lmpg is now 60.8. It shouldn't have changed that much so quickly if it was really the lmpg. It has been going up .1-.2 per tank.
I had been looking on Ebay quite a bit, and found my car on autotrader.com It wasn't there on a Friday evening, but I saw it the next morning, got a friend to drive me 180 miles to look at it and drove it home that afternoon.
Good luck finding your dream car!
robert

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
originalbadbob said:
<snip>..., but I think I would try to opt for a 2002 or later if you can afford it. I think that is the year when some of the electronics were changed.
<snip>
According to the S.B. on the subject 02's may be included. Nothing in the bulliten about 03's and up. :)

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1927

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2002 CVT with 63k miles and a 56LMPG with real HID headlights and upgraded speakers is for sale for $10,750 in SoCal.

Seth

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seth Dallob said:
My 2002 CVT with 63k miles and a 56LMPG with real HID headlights and upgraded speakers is for sale for $10,750 in SoCal.

Seth
Sending you a PM now. Would love to talk with you SOON, as I plan to make an offer (maybe) on another car tomorrow.
-Don

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bjaardker said:
I just picked up my 2000/man/AC with 39K & honda certified for $11,619 OTD.
If I were to get one from a dealer, I'd prefer it to be a Honda Certified car from a Honda dealer, but the one I'm presently looking at is at a Buick dealer of all places. I'm going to hit them with a pretty lowball offer (assuming it passes my examination) and see what happens. I expect they'll turn me down, but you never know.

Yesterday I got the full vin# on it and checked with a service adviser buddy of mine at a Honda dealer I've purchased from. He looked it up and found that all upgrades (3) and recalls (1) had indeed been performed on the car.

Gas at my local Shell station yesterday was $2.54 for regular and $2.86 for premium!
-Don

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I got a really really low price on Edwin from a Dodge dealer. He couldn't sell it, he didn't know anything about it. When I arrived and there to see it and then test drove with a friend, he just handed us the keys and said, 'hey, come back when you feel like it.'

It was the best buying experience I have ever had for a car.

It has been flawless in over a year of driving.

Use your noggin', but you may find that you get a super deal because they just don't want it on their lot - knowing nothing about how to sell it or to whom to sell it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
figgy said:
Use your noggin', but you may find that you get a super deal because they just don't want it on their lot - knowing nothing about how to sell it or to whom to sell it.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Plus, I've got cash. :)

I've never paid for a car outright. It actually might be a negative if the dealer gets a percentage of the financing somehow.
-Don

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
devin1955 said:
I've never paid for a car outright. It actually might be a negative if the dealer gets a percentage of the financing somehow.
-Don
That's how it usually works ;)

Negotiate the payment type after settling on a price. :) And keep your cards close to your chest.

Else depending on many other factors they _might_ hold out for a higher price on the front end.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've always found car buying to be extremely fun. I've always instinctively known pretty much what's going on in the salesman's head, and my wife and I play with them. I don't get emotionally attached to a car before I buy, so I don't mind walking one bit if things aren't going my way.

I once had a salesman hand me off to his manager to complete a deal. While this isn't uncommon, as then all the promises the original guy made are out the wondow and you're starting fresh, this guy gave up his desk to his manager and he PULLED UP A CHAIR and sat there quietly until the deal was done and then his manager told him to go get the car and have it washed for me. The funniest part of that deal was right at the beginning, when he pulled out his form that they use to shuffle the numbers and confuse you. It's divided into 4 quadrants labeled "price", "trade-in", "down payment" and "financing". After he had entered my name on the form and the car I was interested in, I reached across his desk, pulled the form away, drew a big X in the trade-in and financing box, turned it around and slid it back to him. He was LOST. :)

I would recommend that anyone geting ready to buy a new car who isn't completely comfortable with the process read the book "The Car Buyer's Art: How to Beat the Salesman at His Own Game" by Darrell Parrish. A quick read that'll open your eyes about what's really going on when you negotiate a car purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 1113005262
If that wraps, try this instead: http://tinyurl.com/5jnc4

-Don

1 - 20 of 29 Posts