Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found some nice looking insights in my area for very good prices, reasonable mileage, in the 2000 to 2001 model year range.

I've seen from some of the stickys that the battery pack has some issues that should be corrected under warranty on thos earlier models. Are there any other improvements to the insight that occured during its lifespan in the usa? Is there an ideal model year?

If I get an older 2000/2001 model will the battery pack be near death? Will Honda replace them for non original owners as well?

Any major maintence issues that are tricky for one out of warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Jack and welcome to the forums :!: :)

jackmott said:
Are there any other improvements to the insight that occured during its lifespan in the usa?

Is there an ideal model year?

If I get an older 2000/2001 model will the battery pack be near death?

Will Honda replace them for non original owners as well?

Any major maintence issues that are tricky for one out of warranty?
IIRC:

Only updated IMA battery controller logic
(there were a couple of recalls, lifetime coverage for the vehicle. Search NHTSA)

No

Unknown

Yes, read the "Sticky" again. ;)

IMA "problems", rare, yes (not maintenance). The rest of the car is "standard" automotive skills level. (Caveat emptor: Some shops seem to want to charge a hybrid "fear factor" surcharge. RUN away as fast as you can :!: :p )

HTH! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, final question:

When the battery back does start to die, i assume the only effect is you start getting worse mileage and less total power? It doesn't leave you stranded right?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
"Start to" and "is there" is two different things.

Unfortunately and ultimately an IMA pack will fail at a point such that the IMA alternator function will also fail. You'll then be in 12v discharge and no power will be generated to maintain spark etc.

Could a standard 12v alternator be added :?: AFAIK its not been done nor would it be a "simple" modification.

HTH! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts