Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Is it a good idea to buy a second hand Insight? Have one in mind...its a Japanese import with about 70k on the odometer (I live in Ireland)
How reliable are the older cars?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Hector

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi there,
Is it a good idea to buy a second hand Insight? Have one in mind...its a Japanese import with about 70k on the odometer (I live in Ireland)

Thanks in advance for advice.

Hector
My USA 2011 has ~130,000 miles. About 209,000 kilometers.

Nothing ever broke, maybe a power doorlock when it was still under warranty.

Also added refrigerant 9 months ago as it stopped blowing cold, and works fine ever since.

I just change all the fluids using Honda brand. Brake. Oil. Radiator.

New shocks and struts a year ago made it ride like new.

Life is better if you change CVT fluid but if it has never been changed it might make things worse by changing it.

I think I read they get battery problems if left parked undriven for many weeks.

For me, best car I ever had.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Hi there,
Just make sure it isn't one of the years that had oil consumption problems (piston rings). I just did a search using "recall for oil consumption." I see threads talking about excess oil consumption with 2011 and 2012. There is a guy currently posting about blown head gasket with a 2010, but he also mentioned oil consumption fix under warranty. The later ones are good cars, but be careful to understand the problem years.

The dealer warranty piston ring update, if done, might be ok. Personally I'd not buy a Gen2 from the problem years, but I'm a Gen1 guy and don't profess to fully understand. Others more knowledgeable will probably speak up.

Hybrid batteries have always been an issue with the Gen1, but don't seem to have been as bad with the Gen2. You would want to test drive it hard and make sure no warning lights light up, and that the hybrid gives good assist. Referring to the owner's manual, make sure all dash warning lights light when the ignition is first turned on.

Otherwise, I think it is much like any other car, but will deliver better fuel economy than most.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Conor,
I bought a 2011 Honda Fit (jazz hybrid) at Choice Cars in Lusk in February. Its a fine car, I'm very happy with it. I would recommend that company: good car, nice people to deal with and I live in Cork and they delivered it.
Just a tip as the media player is in Japanese...the phone's translator will come in handy. The only glitch that I can think of (and it is a very small one) is I can't get RTE1 on the radio all the time but I can listen using the bluetooth in the media player and my phone.
Best of luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Hector, just wondering how you found the car? Thinking of buying one similar to yours from Airside in Santry.
I bought mine at Declan Gill Motors Airport Business Campus, Swords Rd, Northside, Dublin 9

And here she is now, I added some modifications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's nothing wrong about buying 2nd hand. Just make sure that nothing's out of place. You wouldn't want to inherit any of the damages concurred by the previous owner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts