Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, thank you all on here. Over the last couple of weeks you have helped me decide that the Insight will be my fist ever car (I’m over 30 but just passed my test!). I’ve looked at all the advice you have given and I am confident I know what to look for when I go and see four cheap Insights tomorrow.
One of them that looks good is an LS but it has damage on the left side skirts. It looks to me like someone tried to jack it up in the wrong place. It might be hard to tell from the photos but does this damage look bad? Would it be repairable? I am worried a little about frame damage.
If it is just superficial I was thinking the easiest way to deal with it would be to add Modulo side skirts or something similar. What do you think?

Sorry for the amount of questions and thank you all in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My wife has been driving a 2010 around for about three years with similar damage. In her case she scraped along something (she says a rock) in a parking lot under construction. The Insight is really low to the ground.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Welcome!

It does not look like it is a problem. Helps to get the price down, then keep an eye out and treat it if it needs it.
The Insight is quite rust resistant: my 2011 has all sorts of scrapes and dings (only partly my doing) and no rust yet.

By the way, the jack points are about 4 inches away from the wheel well: a thickened strip on the seam, the lowest part there. Most jacks have a groove, cross or crown that locks the strip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies. It’s good to know it shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

The place I am going to tomorrow actually has six for sale. I think they might be trade ins from a sales fleet or something as they all have high KMs.

I’m actually a Brit living in Japan, so used cars here are insanely cheap. Of the six, two have caught my eye, the one I talked about above and another, which is an L model. From what I understand, the main difference between the L and the LS is that the LS has the 16inch AW, VSA and the paddle shifters. The L still has the leather steering wheel and HID lights but this one has had the NAV removed – which from what you have said was a bit crap anyway.

So all things being equal, which of these would you go for:

LS (163,500km) – In the above photos with some damage. It comes with an extra set of alloys (the OEMs are in the boot) and an aftermarket NAV which isn’t a great one either.

L (164,300Km) – No damage but no NAV at all. Original 15inch AW.

The L is about 200 US dollars cheaper but I was thinking I could sell the extra set of alloys and tires in the LS (keeping the 16s) for more than that – I don’t have the space to store an extra set of wheels. Does the VSA make a big difference or is it just something else that can go wrong? The shifters aren’t a big deal for me at all and I could probably find a set of 16s for about that price here without tires. Also, the lack of damage is appealing.

I’ve attached a photo of the L.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Natalya,

There are emissions tests but most cars made in the last 10 years should pass them unless there is something very wrong (I think). However, many Japanese buyers still have the image that used cars will fail, hence the low prices.

From what I know, both of these cars have had this years’ service, which should have checked for that. The big one, shaken, is every two years. The LS is due in March 2018 and the L is August 2018 - another thing going for the L.

I should point out that the entry-level model in Japan was the G, so both of these are closer to what you got in the EX in the states. But I’m sure more of you know about the options than me.

I am not sure if there is a difference in Cruise Control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts