Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a used insight, however I am not familer with common problems or mechanical schedules of this car. I know a lot about civics, timing belt and water pumper replacement schedules are the really onl big mechanical needs of the civic, rear quarter panel rust etc... but what about the insight. All I know is that I want an MT and A/C, I am a part time mechanic and full time college student so don't b.s. me : )

·
Registered
495 Posts
Including the engine block, the Insight is essentially all aluminium, which is another way of saying, don't be too concerned about rust.

As for maintenance schedules, i.e., when and what, I'll be some of the owners of an Insight made in the year you're considering would be only too happy to send a GIF or JPG scan of the Service Schedule.

Hope this helps.

Fred :)

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Chris --- Welcome to the forum! I have owned 3 Insights (5 speed) and purchased each one new. I always do my own maintenance; I enjoy working on cars and have the time to clean the underside and engine bay.

Maintenance is no different from a Civic; just change the oil and keep things clean. The owners manual recommends 7500 mile interval; or cut that in half if driven in severe conditions.

The Insight just has a few oddities; 0W-20 grade of engine oil, 3 underside panels to remove to access oil drain & filter, a bright orange wiring harness (144 volt) that indicates caution, and rear wheel skirts to remove and learn to properly re-install. It's a wonderful, reliable car that is fun to drive & maintain. I have had ZERO issues after driving 160,000 miles..........

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum :!: :)

The IC Knowledge Base has the maintenance schedule available for the price of... a few mouse clicks :p ;)

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-ma ... #Schedules

Look in the problems and troubleshooting forum for various member problems and outcomes too :!:

HTH! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.