Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I use my car to commute, and while its not a long commute, gas does add up. Currently its 20 miles round trip and I get 20MPG. I drive a big *** wagon, the thought was I could pick up the kids from school or use it as a back-up car in case our primary broke down but I've done that exactly 0 times.

Im thinking of getting a first gen Honda Insight, but Im afraid of getting one with bad batteries. Would a mechanic be able to test their power or something?

These things are silly cheap, $1000-3500. I'd save about $400 a year on gas (dont need premium anymore and get more than double the MPG). I feel like it could be a good move but Id hate to spend $3000 on the car then get racked with $3000 for new batteries.

Otherwise, what I hear is that they are pretty good buys with a manual transmission. Its JUST a commuter, but how are they to drive? Can they keep up with traffic (I already travel 60-70 mph) and get on the highway safely?

·
Super Moderator
7,631 Posts
David. If you will update your profile to include your location, then you may find that there are other owners in your area. It is helpful to everyone, particularly yourself.

Click "quick links" above, then "edit your details," to include a city or state - whatever you are comfortable with.

·
Super Moderator
7,631 Posts
These things are silly cheap, $1000-3500. I'd save about $400 a year on gas (dont need premium anymore and get more than double the MPG). I feel like it could be a good move but Id hate to spend $3000 on the car then get racked with $3000 for new batteries.
Be very careful with the lower end of that "silly cheap" range. Some of the cars have lots of problems and can cost as much to fix as paying more for better car. Also, remember that you have to do your own work. Dealer repairs/maintenance is prohibitively expensive, and in many cases you can't find a mechanic who knows how to work on a car this old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'd save about $400 a year on gas
Just considering what you will pay to register the vehicle and insure it, you will not realize that savings.

If you want the vehicle because of its unique qualities, then get it. However, it would be wrong to think it will be a good financial move to have both vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Background:

I've had direct experience with nearly 300 hybrid battery failures and probably 60 non-battery but hybrid-specific "other" failures.

In over half of those situations, the length of ownership was less than 1 year.

My most recent experience was literally this last Saturday. A retired gentlemen FINALLY bought a G1 Insight after yearning for one for 19 years. Paid a slight premium of $3500 for a car in reasonably good shape. IMA light 3 weeks after purchase. P1449. Bad battery.

He's heartbroken, and his wife is telling him to donate it to some charity rather than drop another big chunk of change on it.

Why do you care about the above? You might not, but it's the experience upon which the following comments are based:

IMHO, if your goal is to purchase a 13-19 year old car to save money on gas, you are likely NOT going to break even. Ever.

If you've always loved and wanted an Insight and don't care about the higher maintenance risk, then ABSOLUTELY.. get one. I have two. Love 'em. They mostly sit.

You would likely get better financial results with a cheap civic, corolla or other small four cylinder that only has ONE propulsion system... :)

Based solely on your singe post, you do NOT sound like you qualify as an enthusiast, and if you're not comfortable with dropping $2K on it within 90 days of ownership, then it's not the car for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone,

I use my car to commute, and while its not a long commute, gas does add up. Currently its 20 miles round trip and I get 20MPG. I drive a big *** wagon, the thought was I could pick up the kids from school or use it as a back-up car in case our primary broke down but I've done that exactly 0 times.

Im thinking of getting a first gen Honda Insight, but Im afraid of getting one with bad batteries. Would a mechanic be able to test their power or something?
http://tradevenue.se/

Otherwise, what I hear is that they are pretty good buys with a manual transmission. Its JUST a commuter, but how are they to drive? Can they keep up with traffic (I already travel 60-70 mph) and get on the highway safely?
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just disabled the battery and drive without.

maintenance for me has been no different than any other decent car and is about 1/10 what the TDI Jetta required for maintenance.

repairs on this car seem to be easier to pull off than other cars I’ve owned.

yes the battery could be an irritating issue as could sourcing normal repair parts but as of yet I’ve been golden.

just plugs, ground straps, tires and 12v battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts