Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all great info on the site. I am about to undertake driving 250 miles a day round trip. It is about 90% open highway speeds of 70-80mph however the remainder will be stop and go. What is a reasonable expectation of MPG to expect. Also with approx. 60,000 miles a year on the car what will this do to the motor/batteries in term of maintenance. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
At those speeds a realistic mpg estimate is going to be in the mid to lower 50's. That figure would go up if you slowed down to around 60 65 ish, at these speeds in excess of 70mpg is possible.

As far as matenience it will be the same as any other car on the engine side of things. The motor and batteries don't need matenience.

·
Registered
453 Posts
:eek: 250 miles per day!! ouch

I simply love my little car. But unless you have to a super "green" car I suggestyou take a look at the VW Golf with the TDI engine.

The VW has better options ie cruise and leather. Better seats. Bigger fuel tank. Cheaper fuel today that a .30 per gallon. Plus no need to replace batteries- which for you would be about every 2 years!

A VW with a TDI can get 45 MPG at higher speeds pretty easy while sing cruise control. If you wanted to speed some extra $$$ the transmission can be rebuilt to lower the final drive and get 50+ MPG

Check out http://www.tdiclub.com

BTW I own both a 2000 Insight and a 2003 Jetta TDI. Both great cars!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Formularon:

___A fellow extreme mileage commuter here … Before you buy a car specifically for the commute, make sure you can do the commute. Why not run for maybe 3 - 6 months with what you have before making a purchase decision because there are plenty of other friends and co-workers that used to drive this same 190 miler and all but 1 other and myself have succumbed by moving closer or have simply left the company. I am now at 5.5 years.

___As for mileage, at 70 + mph, Rick is probably dead on. In my own short time behind the wheel of my little beauty while driving in sub-freezing temperatures and with the warm air mods installed, the only way to maintain lean burn at 70 mph is to plant myself on the Underride guard of an 18-wheeler. At 80 … I have never been to 80 but even 75 with the perfect dual trailered UPS truck, mileage falls in and I find myself in and out of lean burn with mostly 50’s type numbers. Again, this is in cold temperatures that we are experiencing in Chicago as of late.

___If you are going to be traveling 70 - 80 mph, my 03 Corolla LE receives 35 - 37 mpg at that speed whereas my 5-speed Insight might receive 50? If I were purchasing new, an 04 Corolla LE w/ Auto and a few options (4W ABS/Side Air Bags, Cruise, All-weather Guard) is a $15,000 car that includes many amenities that a $20,000 + Insight doesn’t. There are some very good buys on new Insight’s if you are searching however. If purchasing used, the Insight is a steal but just make sure you have the mindset and patience for it if you are looking for the extremes is all … The CVT might make a better purchase if you do plan on traveling up to and beyond the limits as the norm.

___Lastly, the Honda Insight is not for everyone. I find the drive a bit more relaxing and more comfortable in the 03 Corolla LE (50 #’s in her GoodYear Integrity’s as well ;)) but it only gets about 50% of mileage of the Insight and doesn’t have any of the feedback as to what is going on under the hood. The Corolla is also much quieter and far less sensitive to changing elevations, wind direction, traffic conditions, weather and temperature. 250,000 - 500,000 hwy miles in a Corolla is a slam dunk. The Insight … let’s just say my fingers are crossed for 200,000 +. With the Insight, you may also find yourself battling the game gauges which although fun, can be a bit of a mind bender after 2 + hours in heavy hwy traffic. All that being said, the Insight is not only a fun car to drive but everyone on the road knows you are doing your part for the environment or the US’ dependence on foreign oil. Maybe even an 04 Prius or Civic EX might be a better overall solution for you at the speeds you would like to travel. The 01-03 or 04 Prius’ hwy mileage won’t be that much higher then a std. ICE based Corolla or Civic so make sure you take that into account before making a purchase decision of whatever vehicle is all.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:12if2a52][email protected][/email:12if2a52]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah I have to agree on those two points. Your results may varry, but the Insight seats might make you a bit uncomfortable after such a long drive. And the car does trick you in to it's mind game of mileage with the display. I would have never thought I'd end up driving 60 down the freeway to get the mileage. But here I am playing the beat the EPA game.

Although I would possibly have to disagree with the battery pack every 2 years. Unless the commute was with numerous long hills you should probably get many miles out of the battery as it wouldn't be used much durring freeway driving. Although I can't promise anything once 80,000 miles is up.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Formularon:

___I missed Cakely’s TDI reference when I was typing up the above … I have heard they can achieve 50 + mpg at those speeds. VW reliability and emissions? I will let the TDI forums speak for themselves.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:s05pzq21][email protected][/email:s05pzq21]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the incite. Well just got off the phone with dealers in so cal and not a single 2003/2004 5 speed to be had within 100miles. However found a used 2001 with 40k on it. It is thru a dealer and certified to 100k. He will let me have it for $11,900. Any thoughts on if this is a good price or not. KBB says $10,900 for private party if I could get it for $11k I think I would be sold and thus a gage watcher. LOL.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sounds like a good deal on the 01. You might be able to go even lower than 11 though, worth a try anyways. It's kind of sad how bad the resale value has become, but it leaves you in a position to get one cheap. Then again with a 100K warranty it may be worth a little extra.

G

·
0 Posts
I am doing 140 miles a day in my Insight, 10% stop/go, 50% at 70mph, 40% at around 50-60 mph, my consumption to date is 82mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Mark, that's mileage in Imperial gallons right? That would be 68.4 miles to the US gallon in that case.

Kip

G

·
0 Posts
That's right, it's imperial gallons. When you go to look at an Insight, check the window rubber around the back edge of the front side windows, they can sometimes be damaged, it's a warranty job.

Also check the wheecntre covers for corrosion, again, a warranty job.

Fianally I would check the black plastic spat in front of the front wheels to se if it is dislodged, it's fairly easy to refit, but why should you when the dealer can do it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well talked to dealer he has a 2003 with 400 miles which was a unwind deal. The 2003 is a Automatic He will give it to me for 15k. Here is the question 2003 "new" for 15k but expect about 15mpg less than the 2001 with 40k which I can get for 11,500 you make the call.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Unless your stuck in traffic often I would think you would be happier with the 5 speed. Espeically considering your doing a ton of freeway driving once your there you won't shift much. Although, 15K for one with that few miles is a good deal. Only thing is the CVT is more expensive to repair if it goes in the long run.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Sorry to go off-topic but I spotted that Rick is now a Moderator. Congratulations!! Is that some kind of prize for over 700 posts?!? :wink:

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
The Silver Streaker said:
Sorry to go off-topic but I spotted that Rick is now a Moderator. Congratulations!! Is that some kind of prize for over 700 posts?!? :wink:
Yeah, he definitely deserved a reward (for quality, not just quantity). Actually we'll be welcoming several new moderator recruits very soon, so stay on the lookout for more info soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts